[comp.ai.edu] The "Learning Sciences" Conference next August

mccalla@skorpio.usask.ca greer@skorpio.usask.ca (Gordon McCalla) (09/12/90)

An Open Letter Regarding Next Year's Conference on Artificial
Intelligence and Education (alias the Learning Sciences)

We recently received a copy of a message sent by Radboud Winkels
to the conference organizers for next year's Illinois shindig.  He is
particularly concerned about the change of name of the conference
and the change of focus.  We agree pretty much with everything
Radboud says.  Although the name AI + Education is somewhat
awkward, it is probably worth keeping for all of the reasons Radboud
states.  A change of focus would also be worrying if it meant that we
no longer had a conference especially tuned to the interests of AI+Ed
researchers.

An additional concern we have is the apparent reversal of the trend
towards a more mature conference format which has happened over
the last few conferences.  The conference as proposed in the call for
papers harkens back to earlier times when short abstracts were
reviewed, or nothing at all was reviewed.  One of the big
breakthroughs in ITS-88, AI+Ed 89, and the Tokyo ARCE-90
conference this year was the insistence on reviewing full papers and
having a full program committee.  This makes for more work, but
guarantees papers of much higher quality, and helps to produce
much better conference proceedings that can form a permanent and
valuable record of the conference.  Is there even going to be a
conference proceedings next year?  Is there a program committee?
On what basis can 300-word abstracts be judged?

More importantly, there is a matter of form in all of this.  ILS agreed
to put on the FIFTH International Conference on AI and Education.
Are they supposed to be putting on a completely new conference of
their own invention?  Certainly new conferences can serve a valuable
role (ITS-88 was one such, as was the ARCE-90 conference).  The
problem is that this is not a new conference, but one of an ongoing
series.  Should the AI+Ed conference be arbitrarily changed without
adequate consultation with a representative group of AI+Ed
researchers?  Perhaps a general meeting should be called at next
year's conference to discuss issues like the field's name and the type
of conference we want.

As a point of interest, at a recent NATO Advanced Studies Institute in
Calgary issues such as the field's name and future directions for the
field were discussed at some length by the participants.  Pierre
Dillenbourg provides more details of this discussion in an earlier
message.  A sub-group of the institute attendees were delegated to
consider these issues over the fall, to canvass a wide variety of
researchers who were not in Calgary for their opinions, and perhaps
to arrange a general meeting to discuss these issues at next year's
conference in Illinois.  It seemed to some at Calgary that the time has
come for us to become a little more organized.  Although we are in an
exciting, unique, and very promising field, our rampant informality
has been costing us in many ways: every conference has to be re-
invented from scratch, we are known by many different names, our
standards have not been consistent.  This has led outsiders to
question the worth of the field, and has impaired our ability to
generate the scientific respect so necessary to ensure adequate
funding, whatever the source.

The controversy already surrounding next year's conference is a
perfect example of the problems arising from too little direction in
the field.  Of course, we don't want to go too far in the other direction
either: It is important to scientific progress that there be a free
market in ideas, that the informality which has been so conducive to
ready exploration of interesting new ideas be maintained.

We certainly appreciate the amount of effort necessary to put on a
conference, and we are happy that all of those involved in Illinois
have volunteered to do this.  We also look forward to visiting the
Institute for the Learning Sciences and seeing first hand some of the
interesting projects there.  We would only hope that some of the
recent, but still important traditions established by earlier
conferences in the series be re-instated, particularly the conference
name and the refereeing of full papers.  In any event, good luck to all
of the organizers as the various conference deadlines draw
inexorably closer!

Gord McCalla and Jim Greer

anji@ncst.ernet.in (KSR Anjaneyulu) (09/19/90)

I tend to agree with comments made by McCalla and Greer in this
newsgroup about the AI and Education conference.

The organizers perhaps changed the name and scope of the
conference to make it have a wider appeal. But, aren't there
already enough conferences on general issues in education,
which the conference seems to be trying to address. Is there
a need for yet another?

I think that the AI and Education community need an "AI and
Education" conference. I am not trying to be narrow-minded, but
I think a focussed conference is a big asset for the community
as a whole.

Anji
(anji@ncst.ernet.in)

leonr@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dr Ruben Leon) (09/20/90)

In article <926@shakti.ncst.ernet.in> anji@ncst.ernet.in (KSR Anjaneyulu) writes:
>I tend to agree with comments made by McCalla and Greer in this
>newsgroup about the AI and Education conference.
(...)
>I think a focussed conference is a big asset for the community
>as a whole.

Yes !!...

--
Ruben Leon,  Computing Science Dept || Tel: 44 41+ 330 4264  / 330 4463
Glasgow University, Scotland	    || Fax: 44 41+ 330 4913