[comp.ai.edu] AI&Ed status, conference,...

shneider@cui.unige.ch (Daniel Schneider) (09/20/90)

Dear AI&ED-ist,

There has been a lot of discussion going on these few last weeks over
the network. This happened via simple mail because only few people read
this News group (and even less write in it). But several people asked
me to bring the debate to a public place.  Hence, I summarize what the
discussion was all about.

The discussion has been initiated by Radboud Winkels van Amsterdan who
wondered why Schank decided to change the name of the AI&ED conference
(see the call for papers posted in this news group).  I reacted and
forwarded the mail to many AI&ED-ists who all agreed with Radboud :
AI&ED is may be not the best name but at least it has become a useful
label for many of us. More globally, Radboud's questions raises basic
issues about the status of our field : its name, the necessity of
having some society, to decide democratically the name and location of
main conferences, to coordinate efforts, to reactivate this
nearly-dead news-group, to edit a journal, ...

This summer we had a very good 2-weeks workshop in Calgary and these
issues have been intensively discussed around the talks.

About the name we had many suggestions. e.g. computational mathetics,
learning sciences,... All have been discarded for some reasons.
Learning sciences has been rejected because AI people said they will
not get any funding if they say they work in a "learning" field. They
may be right. Maybe not. Anyway, we discussed that more seriousely the
last day and decided that even as large group, we had not the right to
choose such a name in the name of the whole AI&ED community... This is
some kind of collective meta-cognition !

We also discussed the AI&ED - or whatever - society idea.  Again we
decided not to create it there (because we did not represent the whole
AI&ED community) but to start enquiring about it, contacting many
people around, contacting the organisers of AI&ED91.  Sharon Derry,
from Florida (temporarily at LRDC), said that an AI&ED group will be
launched within AERA (I think) and that we would be better to join it
instead of creating a new society because "big names" would join it
and that our society would then be dead before being born. However,
belonging to an educational group does not fit the needs AI groups and
belonging to an American association does not accomodate European
groups.  We also discussed the comp.ai.edu news-group, hoping that
somebody would accept to actively moderate, but again nothing clear
has been decided. However, Jim Greer from Saskatoon University,
proposed to start making contacts, gathering mailing lists,... about
the society, the name, the news group,etc. A few persons promised him
to help him building the premisses of an AI&Ed society. If you want
to know more about Jim's plans, please use this news group.

I think such a society has some chances to succeed if it aims to
optimize cooperation between persons like you and me, not if it attempts
to solve the struggle for power between the elephants of our field.

Salut les gars !

Pierre Dillenbourg
FPSE TECFA
Universite de Geneve
1211 GENEVE 4 Switzerland
pdillen@divsun.unige.ch

bjr@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Brian J. Reiser) (10/05/90)

In article <3384@cui.unige.ch> shneider@cui.unige.ch (Daniel Schneider) writes:

   Dear AI&ED-ist,

   [..some discussion deleted...]

   We also discussed the AI&ED - or whatever - society idea.  Again we
   decided not to create it there (because we did not represent the whole
   AI&ED community) but to start enquiring about it, contacting many
   people around, contacting the organisers of AI&ED91.  Sharon Derry,
   from Florida (temporarily at LRDC), said that an AI&ED group will be
   launched within AERA (I think) and that we would be better to join it
   instead of creating a new society because "big names" would join it
   and that our society would then be dead before being born. However,
   belonging to an educational group does not fit the needs AI groups and
   belonging to an American association does not accomodate European
   groups.

An AI and Education Special Interest Group has *indeed* already been
launched within AERA, the American Educational Research Association.
Last year, our SIG sponsored some very well attended sessions
at AERA 1990, and we will be sponsoring some very exciting sessions
at next year's conference (April 3-7 in Chicago).

The SIG publishes an occassional newsletter containing information
about upcoming conferences, publications, and general news in the
field, and most importantly sponsors symposia and paper sessions at
the yearly AERA conference.

For information about joining the SIG in AI and Education,
please write or email to the Secretary of our SIG, Joe Psotka:

Joseph Psotka, Ph.D.
Chief, Smart Technology for Training
U. S. Army Research Institute
ATTN: PERI-IZ
5001 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, VA  22333-5600
Internet: Psotka@alexandria-emh2.army.mil

The representation given to the area of AI and Education at the AERA
conference is directly proportional to the size of our membership,
so if you have an interest in this area and would like to see it
represented at this conference, please consider joining the SIG.
\end{plug}

Brian J. Reiser
President, SIG-AI and Education
Cognitive Science Laboratory
Princeton University
Internet: reiser@princeton.edu

leonr@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dr Ruben Leon) (10/05/90)

In article <3384@cui.unige.ch> pdillen@divsun.unige.ch (DILLENBOURG Pierre) writes:
>Dear AI&ED-ist,
>
>There has been a lot of discussion going on these few last weeks over
>the network. This happened via simple mail because only few people read
>this News group (and even less write in it). But several people asked
>me to bring the debate to a public place.  Hence, I summarize what the
>discussion was all about.

Thank you Pierre. I hope the 'debate' is continued over here
so people like myself can listen.  I don't see the point in having
a moderator when a open forum will be quicker and easier to distribute.

Also I think one should consider the role of a newsgroup in allowing
subscribers to exchange practical information/experience (i.e. where
do I find this article, does anyone have such & such software, etc)...

Newsgroups: comp.ai.edu
Subject: Re: AI&Ed status, conference,...

--
Ruben Leon,  Computing Science Dept || Tel: 44 41+ 330 4264  / 330 4463
Glasgow University, Scotland	    || Fax: 44 41+ 330 4913