[comp.ai.edu] KA techniques inquiry

nhaus@eagle.wesleyan.edu (02/06/91)

I am trying to put together a formal model of the knowledge aquisition/
elicitation process used in developing rule-based expert systems. I currently
have such sources as a full description of MYCIN, exerpts from AI magazine,
the AI handbook and two books (different) entitled "Knowledge Acquisition for
Expert Systems". My aim is to come up with some formal paramaters along which
automated knowledge acquisition techniques can be scaled, and possibly to
describe a technique which rates highly along these paramaters.

 I am looking for recent sources (books, articles, papers, etc.) which either
describe the KA methods used in developing a specific ES, or outline present KA
techniques.

  Please e-mail your responses, and I will post if there is significant
interest.
  e-mail to: NHAUS@eagle.wesleyan.edu

  Thank you!
					Nik

Only in AI would one have to       | NHAUS@eagle.wesleyan.edu
formalize the workings of a fork.  | Nikolaus Haus

jfbrule@rodan.acs.syr.edu (J F Brule) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.152941.38489@eagle.wesleyan.edu> nhaus@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>I am trying to put together a formal model of the knowledge aquisition/
>elicitation process used in developing rule-based expert systems.
>
> I am looking for recent sources (books, articles, papers, etc.) which either
>describe the KA methods used in developing a specific ES, or outline present KA
>techniques.

Might I suggest the book, "Knowledge Acquisition," Brule' & Blount,
McGraw-Hill 1989. In it we describe a methodology for knowledge
acquisition which is based on cybernetic learning theory and
clinical psychology.

 ~~~Jim Brule'
--
  //\//\\  //\//\\  //\//\\|"Soon we'll sliding down
\// //  \\// //  \\// //  \|  the razor blade of life." T Lehrer

imlah@canon.co.uk (Bill Imlah) (02/07/91)

jfbrule@rodan.acs.syr.edu (J F Brule) writes:

>In article <1991Feb5.152941.38489@eagle.wesleyan.edu> nhaus@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>>I am trying to put together a formal model of the knowledge aquisition/
>>elicitation process used in developing rule-based expert systems.
>>
>> I am looking for recent sources (books, articles, papers, etc.) which either
>>describe the KA methods used in developing a specific ES, or outline present KA
>>techniques.

There is a European methodology for developing expert systems, called KADS.
I have the following references:

"Models of Expertise in Knowledge Acquisition", Joost Breuker & Bob
Wielinga, University in Amsterdam, Dept of Social Science Informatics,
Herengracht 196, 1016 BS Amsterdam (email: breuker@swivax.uucp,
weilinga@swivax.uucp).  memo 103 of the VF-Project "Aquisition
of Expertise"  August 1988 [and "to appear in: Topic In Expert System
Design: methodologies & tools", G.Guida & C. Tasso (Eds), North Holland
Publishing Company, Amsterdam, The Netherlands"].

"Shelley. An integrated Workbench for KBS Development", Claire Bouchet(1)
Eric Brunet(1) Anjo Anjewierden(2), 1:Cap Sesa Innovation, 118 Rue de
Toqueville, 75017 Paris, France, tel. (33-1) 46-22-60-27 (email:
bouchet@capsogeti.fr.uucp, brunet@capsogeti.fr.uucp)  2:Dept of Social
Science Informatics, University of Amsterdam, Herengracht 196, 1016 BS
Amsterdam Tel. (31) 20 525 2214 (email:anjo@swivax.uucp).

Bill Imlah                             imlah@canon.co.uk
Canon Research Centre Europe,          Tel +44-483-574335
17/20 Frederick Sanger Rd.             Fax +44-483-574360
The Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5YD, UK.

mikeb@wdl35.wdl.loral.com (Michael H Bender) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb5.152941.38489@eagle.wesleyan.edu> nhaus@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

   I am trying to put together a formal model of the knowledge aquisition/
   elicitation process used in developing rule-based expert systems. I
   currently have such sources as a full description of MYCIN, exerpts from
   AI magazine, the AI handbook and two books (different) entitled
   "Knowledge Acquisition for Expert Systems". My aim is to come up with
   some formal paramaters along which automated knowledge acquisition
   techniques can be scaled, and possibly to describe a technique which
   rates highly along these paramaters.

   I am looking for recent sources (books, articles, papers, etc.) which
   either describe the KA methods used in developing a specific ES, or
   outline present KA techniques.

I suggest that you look through recent editions of the International
Journal of Man-Machine Studies.

Mike Bender

Nik.Foscarini@f701.n250.z1.fidonet.org (Nik Foscarini) (02/11/91)

 * Replying to a message originally to All
>From: nhaus@eagle.wesleyan.edu
>Date: 5 Feb 91 20:29:40 GMT

>  Thank you!
>                                        Nik
>Only in AI would one have to       | NHAUS@eagle.wesleyan.edu
>formalize the workings of a fork.  | Nikolaus Haus

   That's cool!  Your the very first person in a long time to spell NICK
with no C...  Cool!  I'm the same way... Thanks for being different!

--
EGSGate Fidonet Gateway, Toronto (egsgate.fidonet.org)
...!{uunet, moore, lsuc}!eastern!egsgate