[bionet.molbio.proteins] Vitamine A for skin treatment

khun@cd.chalmers.se. (Peter Wennerholm) (12/07/89)

I can only hope that this is the right forum for this kind of question - if
not, my apologies...

Can someone tell me if we have any evidence that vitamine A is good for the
skin? It is supposed to smoothen out wrinkles if you dissolve it in oil and
rub it onto your skin, but I do not know if this is scientifically proven.
Also, do you have to mix the vitamine with something else to make it work
this way?

      Thanks

	   Peter

Who:  Peter Wennerholm      Pen:  Engelbrektsgatan 26   |   ...and I am MUCH
At :  khun@cd.chalmers.se         S-411 37 Gothenburg   |      better than my
Phn:  +46 +(0)31 812108           Sweden                |      reputation...

kenm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (...Jose) (12/13/89)

In article <607@vice2utc.chalmers.se> khun@.uucp () writes:

>Can someone tell me if we have any evidence that vitamine A is good for the
>skin? It is supposed to smoothen out wrinkles if you dissolve it in oil and
>rub it onto your skin, but I do not know if this is scientifically proven.
>Also, do you have to mix the vitamine with something else to make it work
>this way?

	I don't know whether Vitamin A is useful for de-wrinkling
skin or not, but I can answer the question about dissolving it in oil.

	Skin is basically waterproof, but it can be penetrated by oils...
and, thus, a compound dissolved in oil could pass through the skin.
(epithelial cells, like all cells, are contained by a lipid (fatty) membrane,
 which is impermeable to water, but not to oily substances)

".sig quotes are dippy"|Kenneth C. Moyle          kenm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
- Kenneth C. Moyle     |Department of Biochemistry     MOYLEK@MCMASTER.BITNET