[bionet.molbio.proteins] Prion Digest V1 #2

prion@STOLAF.EDU (Chris Swanson, Moderator) (03/23/91)

Prion Digest                Sat, 23 Mar 91       Volume 1 : Issue   2

Today's Topics:
                        To get things rolling
                                Update

The "Prion Digest" is a Usenet distributed e-mail list, compiled from
postings to it, and distributed weekly (current plan is for early Sat.
A.M.)

While the main goal of the digest is to provide a resource for
researchers working with prions and interested bystanders, all are
welcome.  All articles posted will be included in the next digest.  If
a poster feels that his posting is of an urgent nature, it may be
distributed sooner than the regular digest.  If you want to post an
"urgent" message send it to the prion-request address, not the prion
one.

All requests regarding administrivia (subscriptions, cancellations,
comments, etc.) should be mailed to the moderator
<prion-request@acc.stolaf.edu>.  All postings to the digest should be
directed to <prion@acc.stolaf.edu>.

There are archives of all back issues available via anonymous ftp from
beowulf@acc.stolaf.edu (130.71.192.20) in the pub/prion directory.  If
you do not have ftp access, please write <prion-archive@acc.stolaf.edu>
and back issues will be mailed to you.

	-- Chris Swanson (Prion Digest Moderator)  <swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu>

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 15:09:35 -0600
From: swansonc@stolaf.edu
Subject: To get things rolling
To: prion

Here's a question to get things rolling.  I have just started reading
the articles you all recomended to me and was wondering what CW is
regarding the hunt for DNA and/or RNA in Prions.  Is there some NA's
included in there somewhere, are prions just NA modifying protein, or
something else?  What are people considering and why?  What about the
attempts to denature any NA present in prions?  Were they definitive
or not?

Let's here some opinions/hypothesis/facts from out there.

	-Chris

Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
 DDN: (CDS6)   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc
  AT&T:		Work: (507)-645-6845			Home: (507)-663-6424
	I would deny this reality, but that wouldn't pay the bills...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 14:51:52 -0600
From: owner-prion@stolaf.edu
Subject: Update
To: prion

Hello again.  This is the second issue of the Prion Digest, and the
first one that was assembled from scratch automatically.  By the time
you get this, I will be taking my National Registry EMT-I exam in NH,
and then it's off to Spring Break!  If there are problems, please
e-mail me but it may be a day or two before I can log in again and
check my mail, so please be patient.

For those of you who are receiving this mailing, and did not request
to be put on the list, you are, in all probability, no on my "direct"
list.  However, due to popular request, this digest gets posted to the
bionet.molbio.protein newsgroup, which, in turn, has a mailing list
echo, protein-analysis@genbank.bio.net.  So, if you are receiving this
in your mailbox, and you do not remember subscribing, you most
probably getting it through the protein-analysis mailing list.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me and I will be glad to
help.

	-Chris (Prion Digest Moderator)

End of Prion Digest