[bionet.molbio.evolution] How to debate the creationists.

greg@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gregory Nowak) (12/10/88)

I'm posting a query here because I need information of the
creation-science mailing list type by this Tuesday. Specifically, a
creationist is coming to Princeton, and I would appreciate any advice
I could receive on 1) who this person is 2) what his organization does
3) what is the majore line of argument of his work 4) how best to
respond with picky questions and 5) what sort of devices are used by
the speaker to control the flow of discussion. Post or email as you
wish; I'll summarize email anonymously if enough info comes that way.
Here's the announcement I received:

		DNA, Design, and the Origin of Life

				by

			Charles B. Thaxton, Ph. D.
			Director of Research
			The Julian Center
			Julian, California

				on

			Tuesday, December 13, 1988
				at 8:00

		Dodds Auditorium, Woodrow Wilson School
			Princeton University

[Show up if you want!]

Since the time of Charles Darwin, natural selection has been
considered the cause of apparent design, which the faithful mistook
for dvinely produced order in the world. Contemporary research into
the structure of DNA, however, has shown that it has high information
content, and the only evidence at present is that it takes
intelligence to produce this kind of order. Dr. Thaxton, from his
background in molecular biology and the history of science, wll
discuss how unravelling the secrets of the genetic code hae opened
again the possibility of seeing true design in the universe.

**************

There it is. It show all the signs of a weak creationist argument
which will descend into technical gibberish at the first sign of
trouble. If anyone has any information on Thaxton or the Julia Center,
I'd be grateful for it. I'll post a report on this meeting after it
takes place.

many thanks--

rutgers!phoenix.princeton.edu!greg   Gregory A Nowak/Phoenix Gang/Princeton NJ
    "Take 2*3*5*7*11*13.  It's divisible by 59." --Matt Crawford

offutt@caen.engin.umich.edu (daniel m offutt) (12/10/88)

There is an argument that you can use against creationists which
has not been used before, to the best of my knowledge.

There are maybe a couple of hundred people in the computer sciences and
engineering today who are using a certain simulation of biological
evolution as a computational function maximization method.
The simulation algorithm is called a "Genetic Algorithm".
There is now substantial evidence from thousands of experiments that
genetic algorithms can be highly-efficient optimizers of otherwise
very hard to optimize  functions.  One researcher saved his company
$140,000 (with an expected continuing savings amounting to $1,000,000
per year) using this algorithm to evolve ever-better communication
network designs.  This algorithm is generating increasing interest
among people with practical optimization problems to solve.

A genetic algorithm simulates a population of linear chromosomes,
crossover, and fitness-based differential reproduction over a period
of hundreds or thousands of generations of simulated evolution.
The algorithm was originally intended as a model of evolution;
it is quite interesting that it just happens to also be a very
efficient function optimization method.

So to come to the point:  If creationists are right and evolution is
nonsense, then how can it be that when one implements a computer
simulation of evolution (of the right type) the simulation turns
out to be an algorithm that has tremendous practical value?

Daniel Offutt                             offutt@caen.engin.umich.edu

pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) (12/13/88)

}
[...]

I have no reply, but I've crossposted this to talk.origins on the
assumption that your question is not merely rhetorical.  (Follow-ups
to talk.origins.)
--
Paul Dubuc   |   "I can never be sure of writing a line that will
cbdkc1!pmd   |   not some day be published by friend or foe."

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (12/13/88)

In article <4029b61d.ffb5@bumper.engin.umich.edu> offutt@caen.engin.umich.edu
(daniel m offutt) writes:

>A genetic algorithm simulates a population of linear chromosomes,
>crossover, and fitness-based differential reproduction over a period
>of hundreds or thousands of generations of simulated evolution.
>The algorithm was originally intended as a model of evolution;
>it is quite interesting that it just happens to also be a very
>efficient function optimization method.
>
>So to come to the point:  If creationists are right and evolution is
>nonsense, then how can it be that when one implements a computer
>simulation of evolution (of the right type) the simulation turns
>out to be an algorithm that has tremendous practical value?

The characterization of genetic algorithms may have reversed the cart and the
horse.  Genetic algorithms may be said to have been inspired by chromosomal
behavior, but I think it would be an exaggeration to call them a simulation,
of any organic situation.  Nevertheless, genetic algorithms do appear to
exhibit some rather impressive performance in the implementation of
optimization techniques.  The trouble is that, if you want them to
"solve a problem" for you, you have to formulate that problem in terms
of a function to be optimized.  This is all very well and good if you
are, for example, analyzing flows through networks;  but I, for one,
am not yet ready to believe that any life form constitutes an "optimal
fit" of some yet-to-be-discovered "life function."  Thus, impressive as
they may be, genetic algorithms are probably not an appropriate standard
bearer for the virtues of evolution.

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/14/88)

> So to come to the point:  If creationists are right and evolution is
> nonsense, then how can it be that when one implements a computer
> simulation of evolution (of the right type) the simulation turns
> out to be an algorithm that has tremendous practical value?

It appears you are offering support for an argument from
design (probably not your intent):

> nonsense, then how can it be that when one implements a computer
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^
                                              (design)
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu	rhesus!dubois
bin@primate.wisc.edu	rhesus!bin

danielg@earl.med.unc.edu (Daniel Gene Sinclair) (12/14/88)

     Just a note from a former evolutionist (though no PhD).  I will try
     to avoid all the gibberish possible ;-).  I imagine that I would like
     to make three quick points:

     1.  Go with a critical mindset, but not a critical attitude.

	 I have seen too many creationist/evolutionist "debates" and "Q&A
	 sessions" turn into dogmatic spittle exchanges.  What does this
	 guy have to gain?  Scientific recognition?  There must be easier
	 ways.  Religious conversion?  Maybe, I'm not sure who this guy is
	 anyway.  Maybe he's got something?  Well, postpone judgement
	 until 10 minutes after he's done, as opposed to 10 minutes after
	 he starts :-).

     2.  Be critical of your own position as well.

	 I know that sounds absurd in light of current data, but would a
	 real scientist do anything less?

     3.  Don't get bent out of shape.

	 My perspective is that the truth will stand up under pressure.
	 If evolution proves (as if we will ever be able to "prove" either
	 side definitively) wrong, no big hassle.  And no great men ever
	 went without having their opinions challenged openly, as well as
	 on a personal level.  Have fun!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

DANIELG@UNC.MED (I THINK)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"...because what may be known about God is evident among them, for God has
shown it to them.  For since the creation (there's that word :-)  ) of the
world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the
things that are made...so that they are without excuse, because, although
they knew God, they did not glorify (that is, acknowledge) Him as God,
nor were they thankful (see the progression here : 1. didn't acknowledge
God 2. became unthankful, and consequently...) but became futile in their
thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.  Professing to be wise,
they became fools..."
			   - Romans 1:19-22 (couldn't resist)