[bionet.molbio.evolution] PHYLIP 3.2... to Europe.

HARPER@cc.helsinki.fi (ROBERT HARPER, FINLAND) (09/21/89)

In article <8909182058.AA13415@arsun.utah.edu>, rogers@ARSUN.UTAH.EDU writes:

>   2) Use your local system's version of FTP to connect to arsun.utah.edu (if
> your system says it has never heard of arsun.utah.edu, try the number
> 128.110.192.93 instead).

     The *number* works better that the *name* from over here in Europe.
     my machine had not heard of arsun.utah.edu.

>   5) Tell ftp to get the file pub/phylip.tar.Z (on my system you type
> "get pub/phylip.tar.Z".

     This did not work for me I had to CD PUB to get into the PUBLIC
     directory and then set BINARY and HASH on to get the file. The
     first attempt was unsuccessful because I asked for file with a
     small "z" instead of a capital "Z"... unix is weird... then the
     file came accross... it took about 360 seconds.

     The TAR.Z file is rather large... 1262 blocks on a VAX so if anybody
     is downloading it they should be sure that they have enough space on
     their disk... about 650K for the packed files and 2 mega for the sources
     once they are unpacked.

     Otherwise everything went well, apart from these observations.

-=ROB=-