[net.micro] Micros for universities.

BillW@Sri-Kl.ARPA (03/23/84)

From:  William "Chops" Westfield <BillW@Sri-Kl.ARPA>

I wasnt going to get into this argument, but I give up.  Here goes:

1) What is "State of the Art"
   "SotA" does NOT mean 'current exciting topics in computer research'
   In this case, the "art" is PERSONAL computers, and "SotA" is definately
   8086/68000/16032 architectures.  You can get rid of the 16032 if you
   make the art "low cost/student affordable personal computers", and
   the only reason the 68K is still there is becasue of MacIntosh.

2) Remember that there are universitys out there whose current
   "computing environment" is horendous.  My freshman programming
   course (fortran) was done on cards (the "honors" class I took
   (PL/1) got to use terminals!).  That was in 77.  Things are
   a little better at U of Penn now.  Note that this is a relatively
   large, expensive, Ivy league school.  I hate to think where
   smaller shools might be.  (not every place is a Stanford or
   berkeley that gets nice fat discounts because Computer manufacturers
   tend to get nice things back from them...)

3) Computerizing the university does not just mean giving personal
   computers to computer science or even engineering students/faculty!
   I know Stanford gave a bunch of IBM PCs to HUMANITIES type people,
   and Penn has Apollo workstations for linguistics, and there are
   all these poor economics and other business people whose idea of
   a computer course is "how to use the linear regression package".
   None of these CARE whether their microprocessor chip is elegant or
   not.  They only see the final applications.  This is really the
   kind of person MacIntosh was designed for;  the CS people will
   get them first so that they can write the linear regression package,
   the Mac(intosh)symna (hmm.),  the circuit simulators, and so on.
   And my god!  Think of all those people who still lug typewriters
   to school with them...

We all live in an ivory and silicon tower.  We know and understand and
like computers.  We dont have to worry about running up to many charges,
and not being able to finish our final assignments (at least to the point
of spending all this time sending silly messages back and forth!).  We
think the joys of using a computer are related to networking and graphics
and parallel processors and RISC and GaAs - We forget the simple joy
of having to type ONLY the corrections to the latest term paper.  Many
places, giving the students ANY kind of personal computer power will
GREATLY improve the situation (eg: Syracuse used to give ALL students
time on a DEC10, to use as they wished...  This much "Personal" computing
power wasnt available at Penn until several years later, and then only
to engineering students, and other places probably NOTHING exists...)

Sigh.
BillW

ron@Brl-Tgr.ARPA (03/23/84)

From:      Ron Natalie <ron@Brl-Tgr.ARPA>

Yes, what you describe is what we refer to as the Library approach
to computer science.  It's how it works here at the Laboratory.
Everyone gets a terminal and enough computer time to keep them happy.
Johns Hopkins University used to be like that.  Used to be that just
by asking the right people you could get as much free time as you
wanted on either the DEC-10 (TOPS-10) or an 11/45 (UNIX) depending on
your preferences.  Hopkins produced some really nice software for both
machines outside of any of the normal (and scarce) computer science
curriculum.  Lots of us became the UNIX gurus this way (and we put
out a few TOPS-10 gurus as well).  Unfortunately a policy change
several years ago essentially locked up the academic computer resources
by attaching price tags to everything and abolishing the gratis "I want
to learn about the computer" accounts.  Too bad, the interesting advancements
Hopkins was making has all but died out and they aren't graduating too
many of the shining star computer gurus anymore.

There latest attempt to make up for this was to can plans to network the
university together and launch into doing everything with a bunch of
PC350's that DEC unloaded on them at bargain prices.  They are now
beginning to realize that theyare having a distribution problem with
a hundred micros.

-Ron

BILLW@Sri-Kl.ARPA (03/27/84)

This is starting to make a lot of sense.  Consider a university that
currently has no free computing cycles for general "free" use by
students for other than specific computer oriented courses (lets
see: document preperation, communications, recreation, calculator
type things, etc (I remeber in my electon optics class, the prof
told us to go off and describe the characteristic of a Pierce
electron gun, and that since CAD was big, why didnt we all use
a computer to do it?  This was an EE class, where the only required
computing experience was a intro fortran class.  Sigh.  I went off
and used macsyma.  Other lucky students went downstairs and used
the CP/M systems they had been taught in another class.  What a
fiasco!)).  Now then.  Lets consider the foolowing two alternatives,
each to support 1000 students:

	DECSystem 2060, running tops20 or tops10.

This may actually support up to around 5000 students, depending on how
the load is distributed.  SRI-KL has about 1000 users that do just
these kind of things, and it is noticable slow durring prime time, but
empty durring grave shift.  Wharton (Tops10), had about 5000 accounts,
and was impossible durring the day.  It all depends on memory, disk,
etc, etc.  TOPS20 will handle about 60 users at once, tops10 perhaps
80.  You could also use 2 vaxen (30 users), I think the prices will
work out about the same...

	Hardware costs (CPU, MEMORY, DISK,
	  96 terminal/dialup modems)		~500,000
	Systems programmer.			  20,000/year
	maintanance.				  20,000/year
	operations staff.			min wage*3shifts
	  ------				-------
	total					a lot!

(these are typical off the wall estimate by a hacker that prefers
 not to think about such things.)
option 2:	1000 Macintoshs.

	Hardware costs (100 systems for CS dept,
	  student user room, software development,
	  etc.)					100,000
	liason/sales person			 30,000/year.
	  ------				 -----
	total					A lot less.

Note that by selling the Macs for slighly over their cost,
a universtity can pay for the above expenses....  Of course,
this requires the students to shell out ~1K each, but it
saves them about 1K over buying their own systems...)

BillW

ron@Brl-Tgr.ARPA (03/28/84)

From:      Ron Natalie <ron@Brl-Tgr.ARPA>

C'mon, let's be realistic with your cost analysis (although I feel that
some universities are not).  Even if you buy (or are given) a hundred
micros someone does end up supporting them if things are going to work.
In addition you are going to have to deal with the shopping cart full of
floppy problem of data transfer or you will need some kind of networking
strategy.  Balancing it all out it would seem much more convenient not
to use the cheapest computers possible.

While, I think it is a good point to have students have their own
personal computers for scratch homework computations, text processing,
and maybe a little computer literacy of their own, I don't feel that
this takes the place of having (excuse me) a real computer for these
students to learn on.  I am currently planning on micro systems for my
brother and sister to take with them to college.  One is entering law
school and needs word processing more than anything else, and the other
is starting undergraduate liberal arts studies and would need a more
diverse mixture.   The exposure, when you are using your little personal
machine is minimal.  There is no interaction with the academic
community.  What is there to be learned, other than being an expert on
the particular MICRO that you happen to have purchased?  A group of
supported micros networked is better, but I really don't think the
technology is that far along.  The software base on a midsized (VAX)
academic computer is typically more diverse than a micro can afford to
support.  Our machine, for instance, had LISP, APL, FORTRAN, PASCAL, and
C languages, all different, all important, and all necessary for their
particular applications.  We have software from many inexpensive sources
that gives a diversity which a single user just couldn't assemble on his
own.

My initial statement (about library style computing) was a comment that
universities are tending to cut off the free computer access to students
that many used to have.  This is partly because university
administrations are now jealously considering computer time as a
university resource to be charged for, etc...when just the opposite
should be true.  The access should be increasing because of the
declining price of the technology. Now that they have seen that
computers are a good thing, and not some academic toy, they are getting
very stingy.

-Ron

jbf@ccieng5.UUCP (Jens Bernhard Fiederer) (03/30/84)

While I am no anti-PC flamer, the statement that 8088-8086 (etc.) is
state of the art, and the only reason 68K is STILL there is because of the
Macintosh, is confused.  The 68K is state of the art, and the only reason
the 8088 still can be used in the same paragraph without too many giggles
is because of the IBM-PC.  The 16K is somewhat more advanced than the
state of the art(in micros).

jbf
--
Reachable as
	....allegra![rayssd,rlgvax]!ccieng5!jbf

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (04/03/84)

I agree with Ron on most parts of his message, especially about Universities
finding out that not only will students pay to use those non-prime time hours
but will out bid other students for accounts. When the university has a 30XX
that is bored stiff at 9:00 at night because it just finished expending
.000000001 CPU seconds in figuring out the days accounting info, should be
given something to do. Also not a few of these students develop useful
utilities that often become essential parts of the system. (This I believe
was the original motivation of Hackers, ie to emulate the gods, Systems
Programmers.)

On the continuing flame of mainframes vs minis vs micros. Network technology
and microcomputers are becoming sufficiently advanced that you can run programs
through the network as though they were on your own disk, send mail to other
users and basically never know there was a network. Eventually someone will
write an executive that will make n micros on a 10Mbit network look like 1
virtual machine with n terminals. It will however be very fault tolerant and
should exhibit only marginal degredation as the number of users increases.
Also on the network should be various "export" processors that are adept at
particular functions, like array processors, or extra high speed data
crunchers. Then there may be no way to tell if you are on a micro or mini.
Lets propose a standard of computing like the original standard for AI,
if when you use a micro you can't tell whether you are using a mainframe
micro, or mini. Then for all intents and purposes you are using a mainframe.
(highest common denominator)

				--Chuck

mason@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Mason) (04/05/84)

Ryerson Polytechnical Institute is trying to do exactly what ron@Brl-Tgr
suggests: treating micros as a library resource.  Every student in the
institute has paid an extra $25 for the last 2 years to buy a microcomputer
facility which is in the library.  We have 60 IBM-PCs, 25 Apples, 25 CP/M
machines (Zenith-89s and NEC-8000s) more or less connected to 2 20 meg
winchesters over Omninet (less right now, more when I finish the network
install) with our own network software.

This having been paid for out of student funds other than tuition is
not allowed to be used for teaching, but is a student resource.  Students
use it for word processing, computer literacy, learning to program,
game playing.  We had our doubts in the first year, but it seems to be
well used now.  I can answer technical questions, and can direct anyone
who is interested in administration type questions to the proper person.

This is one type of computer resource that I feel is needed.  Here the
need is UNQUESTIONABLY for existing software, and note that we have
the machines that support 90+% of the available software.  This is a
very important kind of resource to have available for non-computer types
(as well as the computer types).  At Ryerson we have programs including
Fashion, Photo Arts, Radio-Television, Theatre, Business, Engineering,
as well as Business Computer and Applied Computer Science.
Only about 10% of the students are in one of those last 2 programs.

HOWEVER, that is not what is required in a Computer Science program.
I have already expressed my opinions on the 8086 vs. 68000 vs. 16032
question, so suffice it to say that I think computer science students
need computer systems available with sufficient power and elegance that
they can attack and solve interesting, real, problems, and operating
systems and development software that make that possible.  It is
difficult (though perhaps not impossible) to do that on processors
with archaic architectures.
--
Usenet:	{dalcs dciem garfield musocs qucis sask titan trigraph ubc-vision
 	 utzoo watmath allegra cornell decvax decwrl ihnp4 uw-beaver}

mp@ganehd.UUCP (Scott Barman @ Univ. of Ga.) (04/08/84)

>I agree with Ron on most parts of his message, especially about Universities
>finding out that not only will students pay to use those non-prime time hours
>but will out bid other students for accounts. When the university has a 30XX
>that is bored stiff at 9:00 at night because it just finished expending
>.000000001 CPU seconds in figuring out the days accounting info, should be
>given something to do. Also not a few of these students develop useful
>utilities that often become essential parts of the system. (This I believe
>was the original motivation of Hackers, ie to emulate the gods, Systems
>Programmers.)

This would be great if the University's computer center has their collective
acts together!  At the University of Georgia, they are charging over
$700/cpu hour for an IBM 3081.  When you come down to it, how many of these
"hackers" would go broke trying to hack?  Very many, and quick!

There are other problems that all boil down to that the computer centers
must be willing to do this.  From my understanding (from what I have seen),
they shun the idea of students running rampant on the same system as all
the accounting/billing/scheduling is done.

I agree, it would be a great idea (along with the others mentioned), however,
I do not believe in charging the students to use a university resource.
This is like the library, it should be included with tuition!

Scott Barman
	..!akgua!ganehd!mp

seaburg@uiucdcs.UUCP (seaburg ) (04/08/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-23200:uiucdcs:10400127:000:307
uiucdcs!seaburg    Apr  7 23:53:00 1984

We at the U of Illinois have our Cyber 174 facility available
for any student to use, during low usage hours of course.  However,
the system ain't real friendly, and most students don't even know
about it.

Perhaps someday we'll get something the average Liberal Arts (sorry)
person won't be afraid to use.

ron@Brl-Tgr.ARPA (04/09/84)

From:      Ron Natalie <ron@Brl-Tgr.ARPA>

While what Ryerson is doing is commendable, I still believe that basing
a computer science education on micros is not yet a good idea for reasons
stated in other letters to the net.

-Ron