[bionet.molbio.evolution] species and speciation

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/12/90)

 I realize that this may be taking the discussion far afield from
strict molecular biology, but lately I have been participating in many
discussions about species concepts and have come up with two ideas I
would like to put out for evaluation.

The first is that I would like to express solidarity with Endler's
view that we utilize more than one species concept (this is expressed
in chapter 25 of the volume he edited entitled "Speciation and its
consequences".

It seems only logical that not one tool will serve to discern all of
the biotic diversity that exists.  Whether one uses a biological
species concept (probably most applicable to ornithologists, since
they are the ones who had initially proposed it), phylogenetic species
concept (most applicable to paleontologists), recognition species
concept (most applicable to many behavioral ecologists?), or some of
the other myriad of ideas seems to me to be dictated by the type of
data that one can wrest from the organism.

As a result, many of these different species concepts have, at their
root differences in the manner with which "species" are discerned from
ea sequencing, morphology, biogeography, behavior, etc.  All of these
concepts should of course use cladistics to transform the data into
(hopefully) robust evolutionary histories.

Secondly I would like to propose the idea that rates of speciation may
be site-dependent.  Geographical differences also dictate
environmental differences which would in turn dictate different
selection pressures.  The idea that one population will diverge or
speciate at the same rate panglobally is absurd, the microclimatic
circumstances must be taken into consideration when speculating about
speciation rates.  Mitochondrial DNA work may lead to
misinterpretations of the "truth", since it assumes constant rates of
speciation (ie: gradualism) and uniform speciation rates.  [I am not
disparaging mDNA work, only its universal application.  I am sure that
organisms that have been in a relatively constant environment would be
most effectively analyzed using mDNA]

Anyway its something to think about.

--
Jim Danoff-Burg   (Snow Museum, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045)
Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX

joe@GENETICS.WASHINGTON.EDU (Joe Felsenstein) (12/13/90)

Jim Danoff-Burg writes:

>                    Mitochondrial DNA work may lead to
> misinterpretations of the "truth", since it assumes constant rates of
> speciation (ie: gradualism) and uniform speciation rates.  [I am not
> disparaging mDNA work, only its universal application.  I am sure that
> organisms that have been in a relatively constant environment would be
> most effectively analyzed using mDNA]

I believe that this is a misconception.  I know of no reason to
believe that in making mitochondrial DNA phylogenies we are assuming anything
about rates of speciation or rates of change of morphological characters.
They may or may not assume clocklike change of the molecular sequences,
depending on how the analysis is done, but that can of course happen even as
the morphology behaves in a most unclocklike way.

Perhaps I am missing something -- is it being assumed that the objective
of inferring the phylogeny is to assess morphological rates of change or
estimate the genealogy?

The remainder of the posting is about concepts of speciation.  I suggest
that it be reposted to the population-biology group which is where
that belongs, as it has nothing specific to do with molecular evolution.

-----
 Internet:         joe@genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.208.128.1)
 Bitnet/EARN:      felsenst@uwalocke
 UUCP:             ... uw-beaver!evolution.genetics!joe

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (Josh Hayes) (12/15/90)

Interesting you should bring this up now; our normally placid
Monday seminar erupted into a rather spirited discussion of
the species concept and the value of molecular data.

It seems to me that "species" as some sort of Platonic Ideal
form has long since passed away. It ought to be admitted that
we define things as species in some utilitarian manner, that
is, in order to address some particular interest, such as which
populations are able to interbreed, and so forth.

I would argue that there is no such thing as a species independent
of the question we wish to address to the population of organisms
under consideration. We've come to realize that the world does
not operate under the rigid hierarchical structure that Aristotle
proposed, and which has been reified by Linnaeus and those who
followed. The world is a continuous (to our perceptions) place;
why expect that living things will compartmentalize into a neat
discrete classification?

(I also wonder where this thread belongs; there is no molecular
biology involved thus far, but there is no [or at least we don't
receive] bionet.philosophy.evolution. Followups to wherever you
think appropriate.)

Cheers,

Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
"I am the Supreme Being, you know; I'm not completely dim."

Ellington@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (Deaddog) (12/16/90)

Sadly, I missed the original post, but the responses indicate that it must
have been interesting.

However, we have:

In article <90348.121339JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET> JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (Josh
Hayes) writes:
> (I also wonder where this thread belongs; there is no molecular
> biology involved thus far, but there is no [or at least we don't
> receive] bionet.philosophy.evolution. Followups to wherever you
> think appropriate.)

Given the paucity of traffic on molbio.evolution (indeed, given the tiny
number of messages that appear on BIONET in general), we should try
to avoid sending interesting strings to their deaths in the hinterlands.
Just because it does not fit some anal-retentive's idea of how to divide
up the info-bio-sphere (e.g., MOLBIO.YET.ANOTHER.DISPENSABLE.GROUP)
does not mean that it isn't worth perusing by folks who like to read
about molecular evolution.

Alas, poor string, we hardly knew ye ....

Non-woof
Dept. Mol. Biol.
Mass. General Hospital

[Extremely offensive .sig available on request, or in response]