[bionet.molbio.evolution] Need suggestions for fast-clock proteins

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (02/08/91)

In a discussion earlier this evening a friend and I were trying to
name fast-clock proteins that were *not* species-specific, and we
couldn't think of any.  So, I would appreciate suggestions, as this is
going to keep me awake nights until I find out...

thanks in advance,

dan
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU
myself.

eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) (02/08/91)

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:

>In a discussion earlier this evening a friend and I were trying to
>name fast-clock proteins that were *not* species-specific, and we
>couldn't think of any.  So, I would appreciate suggestions, as this is
>going to keep me awake nights until I find out...

This suggestion isn't much better than species specific but....

If you are in class Mammalia, the caseins certainly mutate at a
rapid clip.  There are (ca.) 37 entries in PIR last time I checked.
These include a number of different types of caseins, related only
name.  However, one could probably make a number of parallel trees
of the class which would, if nothing else, make an interesting exercise.

TTGATTGCTAAACACTGGGCGGCGAATCAGGGTTGGGATCTGAACAAAGACGGTCAGATTCAGTTCGTACTGCTG
Eric E. Snyder
Department of MCD Biology              Proctoscopy recapitulates
University of Colorado, Boulder        hagiography.
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0347
LeuIleAlaLysHisTrpAlaAlaAsnGlnGlyTrpAspLeuAsnLysAspGlyGlnIleGlnPheValLeuLeu