[unix-pc.uucp] uucico wierdness

vanam@pttesac.UUCP (11/13/87)

In article <1771@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>Several people around here have recently purchased 3B1's and we've
>all had the same problem with UUCP over phone lines. The 3B1's will
>dial just fine, but within seconds after the modem connects, the
>connection drops. It can't be just the modems because ATE works OK.

>Has anyone got any idea what's wrong here? Is there something peculiar
>about the modem in a 3B1? Where does uucico get its "modem profile"?

Gee, I also had this problem.  I was/am using a NEC2430 Hayes
compatible modem.  My solution was to create a new entry in the
/usr/lib/uucp/modemcap (that's the modem profile you're asking
about).  My new entry was a duplicate of the hayes entry, except
that I added a bunch of 5 second delays after dialing and I changed
the name to "NEC|nec|ne".  I also changed L-devices to refer to
the NEC modem rather than the hayes.

I am not on my 3B1 right now, so I don't have the modemcap
entry in front of me, but if you email to me at my 3B1 address
(...!pttesac!Marnix!vanam), I will gladly email you a copy.

Marnix
----

--
Marnix (ain't unix!) A.  van\ Ammers		Work: (415) 545-8334
Home: (707) 644-9781				CEO: MAVANAMMERS:UNIX