[unix-pc.uucp] UUCP F or G protocols

Joe_E_Powell@cup.portal.com (04/08/88)

I've been having some problems trying to get UUCP to work over a network
that strips the high bit off all the characters that go through it.  I
have been led to believe that the G protocol is the 8 bit protocol while
the F protocol is the 7 bit protocol.  Is there any way to tell UUCICO
to use only one protocol over the others?  Any help would be appreciated!

Joe E. Powell

jhc@mtunx.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) (04/12/88)

In article <4370@cup.portal.com> Joe_E_Powell@cup.portal.com writes:
>I've been having some problems trying to get UUCP to work over a network
>that strips the high bit off all the characters that go through it.  I
>have been led to believe that the G protocol is the 8 bit protocol while
>the F protocol is the 7 bit protocol.  Is there any way to tell UUCICO
>to use only one protocol over the others?  Any help would be appreciated!

1) How to select protocols.
You can do this by putting this sort of line in Devices:

	Fslan,eg starlan - - STARLAN

or this one in Systems:

	foo Any STARLAN,eg - foo

Note that ther protocolas are ordered, using ",ge" will use g *over* e.

2) f vs g protocol

g requires an 8-bit clear datapath. f was designed to work over a 7-bit
XON/XOFF flow-controlled datapath. Unfortunately, protocol f is not
supported in any AT&T versions of UUCP which I am aware of.
--
Jonathan Clark		jonathan.clark@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan
Any affiliation is given for identification purposes only.

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.