[unix-pc.uucp] HDB and rel 3.0: Should I upgrade to HDB?

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (06/22/88)

I'm running rel 3.0 on my 3b1, and as I'm about to reinstall all
my software (long story) I was wondering if I should bother with
HoneyDanBer for my machine...

I've heard non-unix-pc'ers praise HDB, but I don't remember hearing
much from unix-pc users that use HDB..

thx in advance.
--
"It was men made her that way,             Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
it was us made her that way." -- from "Airhead" by Thomas Dolby

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (06/23/88)

In article <936@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>I was wondering if I should bother with HoneyDanBer for my machine...

YES!  I had as many as several crashes a day on ditka with the stock
(3.51) uucp; that dropped to zero with HDB.  And getting a TrailBlazer
to work comfortably with the stock trash is pretty close to hell; with
HDB there's no problem at all.

Bottom line: beg, borrow, steal, hold Cassoni (er, whoever it is now)
hostage, do whatever you have to do to get HoneyDanBer.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{emoryu1,pacbell,decvax!formtek}!ditka!kls
1-412/937-4930 office	|	{pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!ditka!kls
			|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)

gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders ) (06/24/88)

In article <936@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>I was wondering if I should bother with HoneyDanBer for my machine...

Yes you should bother with it, but You cant really get it.. It was
available for a very short time via the STORE, and I am sure that a
few folks may have picked it up then, but Now its available via the
STORE and only to AT&T employee's.  Its a shame that AT&T dosent let
it out for the hords of people for are buying up 7300.. OH well....

--
Gary W. Sanders				HAM/SWL BBS 614-457-4227
(uucp) gws@n8emr 			(uucp) osu-cis!n8emr!gws

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (06/24/88)

In article <936@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:

> I'm running rel 3.0 on my 3b1, and as I'm about to reinstall all
> my software (long story) I was wondering if I should bother with
> HoneyDanBer for my machine...
>
> I've heard non-unix-pc'ers praise HDB, but I don't remember hearing
> much from unix-pc users that use HDB..
>
> J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007

Since the old version of HDB3.0 for the unix pc is in the Public Domain,
I heartily recommend it.  Appearently 3.5[01] and the new 3.0 HDB is not
in the PD, as evidenced by the new passwords on the Store.

Before I get flamed, here are my reasons for believing HDB2.0, old HDB3.0,
MAILX, KSH, HACK, ROGUE, and all other software that appeared on all
catalogs before 6/27/86 (when the passwords appeared) are in the Public Domain.

1.  The AT&T hotline gave me access to the Store.  This definately
    affected my decision to purchase several more unix-pcs.

2.  The old version of the store, upon installation, encouraged users
    to redistribute store stuff, to "encourage wider distribution"
    [I don't remember the exact quote, but that is the jist of it].

3.  These items were available on the store.

4.  At no time has there *EVER* been *ANY* message on the store stating
    that some software should not be downloaded because it isn't in the
    public domain.  In fact, the store *still* encourages users to
    contribute software.

There you have it.  And *NO*, I'm not willing to re-distribute even this
stuff as I'm not sure if the version I have may have been updated since
these Public Domain programs were received.

Putting on my asbestos suit |-)

Bob Ames      INET: bob@rush.cts.com

Rush UNIKS PC Support Center   Bell: 208-733-0931
UUCP: {cbosgd, ucsd, nosc, sun!ihnp4, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush!bob
"I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!"

"We each pay a fabulous price - for our visions of paradise." - N Peart 1987

cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) (06/27/88)

In article <315@ditka.UUCP> kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
>Bottom line: beg, borrow, steal, hold Cassoni (er, whoever it is now)
>hostage, do whatever you have to do to get HoneyDanBer.

 And don't forget to tell the rest of us unforunate non-AT&T people
how to get a copy too. The stock uucp sucks rocks if you try to do
anything complicated with it.

--
	You're a prisoner of the dark sky/The propeller blades are still
	And the evil eye of the hurricane's/Coming in for the kill

dave@galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) (06/28/88)

In article <577@n8emr.UUCP> gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders (n8emr)) writes:
>Yes you should bother with it, but You cant really get it.. It was
>available for a very short time via the STORE, and I am sure that a
>few folks may have picked it up then, but Now its available via the

Here's a good question for you all.  Suppose that I was one of those "few folks"
that grabbed HDB during it's shorted-lived appearance on the STORE.  Since no
restrictions have ever been placed on any of the stuff that I've gotten from
the STORE, am I now free to distribute copies of HDB?  How about this scenario:
suppose someone who had been able to download HDB set up a shell script to take
all of the stuff they had gotten from the STORE and post it to unix-pc.sources.
Could that person be taken to court by ATT for posting licensed software even
though they received the software from ATT without any license restrictions?

PLEASE NOTE: this posting should not be mis-construed as a statement to the
effect that I am in possession of a copy of HDB.  Do not send me messages
requesting a copy of HDB.  I am simply playing a game of "what if".
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.zone1.com   ...!rayssd!galaxia!dave

alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (06/28/88)

In article <479@galaxia.zone1.com> dave@galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) writes:
>In article <577@n8emr.UUCP> gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders (n8emr)) writes:
>Here's a good question for you all.  Suppose that I was one of those "few
> folks" that grabbed HDB during it's shorted-lived appearance on the STORE.

		[is HDB3.0 PD?]

My understanding of the copyright laws is that if AT&T conciously released
something without restriction, then they cannot later change their mind. This
belief comes from a long description of the copyright laws that was posted
to the net last year by someone who appears to know about such things. (claimed
to be a lawyer, but I won't hold it against him)

--
					:alex.

nerwin!alex@umbc3.umd.edu
alex@umbc3.umd.edu