[unix-pc.uucp] unix-pc <--> unix-pc using ph1?

jan@bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) (12/18/88)

Shirley someone out there has figured out how to make these machines talk
to each other through the OBM?!?  Please?!?  Without tying up the phone?

I got another unix-pc this week and like everyone else, I'm wishing that
it came with at least 2 serial ports.  No, I am not forking over $500 for
another (unpopulated) combo card.  So how do I make these 2 systems talk to
each other through the OBM without actually using the telephone lines?

While on the subject, what is the straight dope on 'direct' connections?
Any earth shattering recommendations?  thanks...

Jan
-=-
jan@bagend.UUCP | {backbones}!gatech!bagend!jan | (404)434-1335
"It's not funny unless it hurts someone else" Robert A. Heinlein

jimmy@denwa.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (01/03/89)

In article <625@bagend.UUCP>, jan@bagend.UUCP (Jan Isley) writes:

> Shirley someone out there has figured out how to make these machines talk
> to each other through the OBM?!?  Please?!?  Without tying up the phone?

This may be a bit of overkill (I like overkill), but what I do is use a
small PBX system in my home.  Panasonic makes some great little phone
systems (the KX-T308, T616, and T1232 series) that act like key systems
with their proprietary phones, but also allow you to plug in any
single-line phone or device.

The big advantage is that you are no longer tying one of your modems
(or fax machine or answering machine...) to a specific line.  You can
dial out on any line from any port by selecting the line you want to
use in your outgoing dial string.  You can also dial internally, so you
can dial from one OBM to another (or from your OBM to your Telebit)
without using a real telephone line.  One other thing I do with it is I
have it programmed so that if a call comes in on my data line and the
TrailBlazer doesn't answer after 3 rings (either it's down, or it's
currently being used on another line), then the call automatically
switches to the OBM.

FYI, the base wholesale price on the 308 system (3 lines and 8
extensions) is about $360 (fully equipped).  If interested, contact NTD
in Lynwood, WA or Pro-Com Supply in San Diego, CA.  Tell them you're a
company, of course.
--
Jim G.        E-Mail: <jimmy@denwa.uucp>  or  <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu>
^^^^^^    V-Mail: (213) 551-7702  Fax: 478-3060  The-Real-Me: 824-5454