[unix-pc.uucp] uucico: NO DEVICE

cspencer@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) (01/12/89)

I'm trying to bring up uucp 3.51 on a 3b1. I have not run any
configuration stuff from ua other than to set the date. When I
try to run uucico it reads the L-devices file, but then exits
with NO DEVICE. I notice that cu won't operate without an L-devices
entry for DIR so I imagine I am missing a configuration detail.
L.sys looks like this:

	remotesys Any ACU 1200 5551212 etc
and L-devices:

	ACU tty000 hayes 1200
	DIR tty000 0 9600

As I said, my problem is that uucp won't even touch the line. I
don't suspect modem signals since cu can open the port.
Any help is appreciated.

p.s. the modem is a Trailblazer, but I want to get 1200 to work first.

hjespers@attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) (01/13/89)

In article <2408@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> cspencer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) writes:
>I'm trying to bring up uucp 3.51 on a 3b1. I have not run any
>configuration stuff from ua other than to set the date. When I
>try to run uucico it reads the L-devices file, but then exits
>with NO DEVICE. [stuff deleted]

I'd check for a lock on the port (tty000).
Look for /usr/spool/locks/LCK..tty000 or
perhaps  /usr/spool/locks/LCK..systemname
where "systemname" is the name of the system
that you are trying to cu to. If the lock file
is there just blow it away and try again.
If this fails try using "uucico -x9 -ssystemname"
the x9 gives you the largest amount of debugging
info. Another option is to look at /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE.
Hope some of this babbling helps.

Hans Jespersen                 UUCP: uunet!attcan!hjespers
AT&T Canada Inc.                 or     ..!attcan!nebulus!arakis!hans
Toronto, Ont.                  #include <sdt.disclaimer>

cspencer@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) (01/14/89)

In article <2408@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> cspencer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) writes:
>	remotesys Any ACU 1200 5551212 etc
>and L-devices:
>
>	ACU tty000 hayes 1200
>	DIR tty000 0 9600
L.sys wants
	remotesys Any tty000 1200 etc
		      ^^^^^^
It then looks in L.devices, verifies that this is an ACU (it has to be
apparently) and then dials the hayes. This is fairly screwy if you ask me.
It is definitely non-standard.
							-cliff

							-cliff