[unix-pc.uucp] HDB Grading is it available in the UNIX PC version?

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (04/05/89)

For those who don't have HDB, skip this message ...  I'm not crazy for
posting about HDB here, lots of us have it ... so I'm sure someone can
answer my question!

Does anyone know if the HDB Grading works with the UNIX pc version? I'm
not sure if this has been asked before, I've played with it a bit, but
couldn't get anything to work... What I want to do is basically send mail
to a particular site ON DEMAND *all* day, but only send news after the
rates get lower (or when the poll for it).

According to some documentation on HDB, the correct syntax is in the
Systems file to put:

system	Any/A,Any2300-0700;5  ... [rest of the line follows] ..

Then if the mail is queued up at "grade A" it will go out anytime, but
anything else will have to wait to 11:00PM to 7:00AM (with a retry time
of 5 minutes).  I know the uucp and uux command have grades with the "-g"
option, but does uucico look at them?  Is my syntax wrong?  Or am
I just crazy ;-)?

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (04/07/89)

In article <655@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Does anyone know if the HDB Grading works with the UNIX pc version?

Sorry, Lenny, but I believe we lost out on this one.  Grading is
in the version of HDB following what we have, or so I've heard
somewhere along the way.  It sure would be a nice thin got have.

>I know the uucp and uux command have grades with the "-g"
>option, but does uucico look at them?

Yes, but only for priority -- a grade A task will be shipped prior
to a grade B task.  But any call will handle the full catastrophe,
unless the connection dies.

>Is my syntax wrong?

I think you got it right.

>Or am I just crazy ;-)?

No comment.  ;-)

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{ames!hc!rt1,decuac!netsys}!ditka!kls
1-505/667-7777 (work)	|ARPA	rt1!ditka!kls@hc.dspo.gov

mml@magnus.UUCP (Mike Levin) (04/08/89)

Although grading is not available, let me share with you a few tricks
for accomplishing sending news at special times, or only upon polling.

First, set up the 'sys' file for that system to batch- that will create
entries in /usr/spool/batch/-sysname- for each article to be sent, but
doesn't hand them over to the uucp system.  Then, simply create a cron
entry to handle doing a 'sendbatch' at the appropriate time, and that
allows you to not call them with the news during the day.

Next, if you want to get a bit fancier, set up so that when that system
logs in (i.e. polls you), they don't directly start up uucico, but
rather a script (or executable) which first invokes the sendbatch (in
background), sleeps for about 10-15 seconds (depending on how fast your
machine is), and THEN starts up uucico.  That way, when they call you,
they get the news during that connection, but if you are simply sending
a piece of mail to them, that's all they get.

SUPER-FANCY-  set up multiple logins for them.  I.E.-  if the system is
called 'foo', set up Ufoo for mail only, and Nfoo for mail+news.  Thus,
Ufoo simply starts up uucico, and Nfoo does the forking off of sendbatch.

We run that way on our Pyramid at work, as we have a number of sites that
we offer news+mail service to, but we don't want to pay for news.

If you write executables to do this, please copy me (or post), if you do
scripts (that's all we've done, thus far) I'd still be interested in
seeing how YOU do it.  If you are unsure, email me and I'll send you
copies of the scripts ( I wouldn't post them-- they're pretty lame).

					Mike Levin

--
|_|\___/ \_/ |_||_|_|  {pacbell|pyramid|csun}!srhqla!levin - levin@magnus.UUCP