[unix-pc.uucp] uucico isn't switching roles

zz1ml@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Mick Laver) (05/14/89)

I've set up my 7300 (Sys 3.50, uucp v 2) to poll a 3b2600 running
HDB. Mail jobs go fine from the unixpc to the 600, but jobs queued
on the 600 are never sent back during the connection. Since the upc
has to poll the 600 (times=Never on the 600 for the upc) mail never
gets sent.  From my reading of debugging at x=5, it appears that
uucico is not switching roles on the 600 when connected to the upc
-- it works fine for other machines.

What's missing here? (OK, I can take it ... honest)

	-Mick

danl@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.r.levy) (05/14/89)

In article <4367@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU>, zz1ml@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Mick Laver) writes:
< I've set up my 7300 (Sys 3.50, uucp v 2) to poll a 3b2600 running
< HDB. Mail jobs go fine from the unixpc to the 600, but jobs queued
< on the 600 are never sent back during the connection. Since the upc
< has to poll the 600 (times=Never on the 600 for the upc) mail never
< gets sent.  From my reading of debugging at x=5, it appears that
< uucico is not switching roles on the 600 when connected to the upc
< -- it works fine for other machines.
<
< What's missing here? (OK, I can take it ... honest)

On the 3B2, check the /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions file entry for the uucp
login-id used by the 7300.  If it doesn't say SENDFILES=yes then the 7300
can poll 'til the cows come home but the 3B2 won't give it anything queued
for it.  The default is SENDFILES=no, which is a security measure against
impostor machines that might call hoping to "steal" the data queued for another
machine.  (This probably isn't a danger unless you give out the uucp login
password to other administrators you can't trust.)
--
Dan'l Levy                 UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy, att!cbnewsc!danl
AT&T Bell Laboratories

res@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Rich Strebendt) (05/15/89)

In article <4367@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU>, zz1ml@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Mick Laver) writes:
> I've set up my 7300 (Sys 3.50, uucp v 2) to poll a 3b2600 running
> HDB. Mail jobs go fine from the unixpc to the 600, but jobs queued
> on the 600 are never sent back during the connection. Since the upc
> has to poll the 600 (times=Never on the 600 for the upc) mail never
> gets sent.  From my reading of debugging at x=5, it appears that
> uucico is not switching roles on the 600 when connected to the upc
> -- it works fine for other machines.

It sounds like the sort of situation I have run into when the other machine
(the 3B2, in this case) did not allow my machine to pick up files during a
transaction, only send them.  Check the Permissions file on the 3B2 and make
sure that the entry that applies to your machine includes the strings

		REQUEST=yes SENDFILES=yes

in order to allow your machine to collect the mail files from the 3B2.

				Rich Strebendt
				...!att!ihlpj!res