[unix-pc.uucp] MSDOS versions of email and readnews

Does any one out in netland know of a program that allows an MSDOS
machine to communicate with the usenet....allowing news, mail etc?

I would also be interested in knowing of any programs that will work
with Xenix/SysV for an AT.

Dave Scholten
(Please respond with email if possible)

rcstack@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (=== [STACK] ===) (07/03/89)

In article <3563@cps3xx.UUCP> scholten@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>Does any one out in netland know of a program that allows an MSDOS
>machine to communicate with the usenet....allowing news, mail etc?

I'm also interested in an MS/DOS usenet reader.
I have no ftp-access (outside campus, that is), so if you've got
something send it to me please. (I can use TRICKLE however...)

TIA-Thanks In Advance,
[Merwin]

Email: rcstack@eutrc3.UUCP  ...!mcvax!eutrc3!rcstack  tuerc3::rcstack
Computer Association STACK, Computing Centre RC 1.58,
Eindhoven University of Technology, POBox 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, Holland.

bundalo@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Predrag S. Bundalo) (07/11/89)

In article <781@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> rcstack@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (=== [STACK] ===) writes:
>In article <3563@cps3xx.UUCP> scholten@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>>Does any one out in netland know of a program that allows an MSDOS
>>machine to communicate with the usenet....allowing news, mail etc?
>
>I'm also interested in an MS/DOS usenet reader.
>I have no ftp-access (outside campus, that is), so if you've got
>something send it to me please. (I can use TRICKLE however...)
>TIA-Thanks In Advance,
>[Merwin]

	I think a post is in order here.  I want to know too.

  Predrag S. Bundalo                  BITNET:  SYSPredrag@IITVax.edu.BITNET
  IIT Vax Systems Staff               UseNet:  bundalo@iitmax.iit.EDU
  Academic Computing Center
  Chicago, Illinois

gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (07/16/89)

----- News saved at 15 Jul 89 21:11:47 GMT
In article <2475@iitmax.IIT.EDU> bundalo@iitmax.iit.edu (Predrag S. Bundalo) writes:
> In article <781@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> rcstack@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (=== [STACK] ===) writes:
> >In article <3563@cps3xx.UUCP> scholten@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
> >>Does any one out in netland know of a program that allows an MSDOS
> >>machine to communicate with the usenet....allowing news, mail etc?

I sent the following to the original poster, but perhaps other folks would
find it interesting:

From: comparc@twwells.uucp (comp.archives)
Newsgroups: comp.archives
Subject: UUCP clone report
Date: 10 Apr 89 05:40:01 GMT

Here is the first version of the summary of information about UUCP
clones. Some of my information is incomplete; I'd appreciate any
improvements and additions to this. In particular, I'd like to know
which archives makes these UUCP's available.

Some people sent me mail to tell me of commercially available
products. You'll note that they are not included here; comp.archives
is limited to freely distributable software. Shareware is fine,
however.

An asterisk in column 1 means that I've included some of the
documentation for that UUCP later in this article.

*Amiga UUCP/UseNet  Amiga            Mail and news.
*gnuucp             BSD, SysV, VMS   Mail and uuxqt. Presumably you can
		    MS-DOS, Atari    run news if you have software that
		    CP/M-80, Amiga   uuxqt can run.
mailtruk            Atari            ??????
*UFGATE             MS-DOS           Uucp, mail, news, and FidoNet gateway.
*UUPC               MS-DOS           Mail. (I have an old version only, so
				     I don't know what else is available.)
uuslave             ?????            ??????

[A product announcement] =====================================================

	Late Night Software is proud to announce UFGATE.

     UFGATE is a package that will move files, mail, and news-
groups back and forth between UUCP/USENET and MS-DOS machines.
The package will gate between UUCP/USENET and FidoNet or you can
just run the package stand-alone, effectively being a leaf site
in UUCP/USENET.

     UFGATE runs on IBM-PC/XT/AT or PS/2 machines or compatibles.
UFGATE will also work with MS-DOS or PC-DOS machines that are not
100 percent IBM-PC hardware compatible with an appropriate FOSSIL
(a communications device driver).  This is needed for the UUCICO
clone, GNUUCP (aka. UUSLAVE).

     The GNUUCP program has been brought up to a full implementa-
tion of UUCICO with routines so it can run with the MS-DOS file
structure.  You can initiate or receive UUCP connections and
there is full support for l.sys files.  You can even use it with
PC Pursuit.

     The package will handle the importing, exporting of UUCP
messages, and also the automatic deletion of old USENET newsgroup
messages.  UFGATE will also handle mail/newsgroups that have been
either 12 or 16 bit compressed.

     UFGATE can handle either UUCP bang-style, ARPA/INTERNET
domain style, or a hybrid of both.  It can also handle aliases
for individuals or machine names.  Message forwarding is also
built in.  UFGATE can handle multiple hosts.

     Message formatting, like the automatic appending of
individual signature files, is supported.

     Detailed debugging is available, so setup is easier.

     UFGATE is free to non-commercial, non-supported users.  If
you are interested in support, which includes updates for a year,
the Late Night Software telephone support service, and a hard
copy of the manual, a $35 fee is asked.  If you are a commercial
site, you will automatically get the support described above, and
the manual for $195.  Support is available to all users via the
UFGATE echo on FidoNet.

     You can download the UFGATE package from the Late Night
Software BBS at:
		    +1 415 695 0759.

     Currently we have a 9600b/s V-Series Hayes modem.  The time
to transfer the file (UFGATE.ARC) at 9600b/s is 10 minutes, or at
2400b/s, it would be about 40 minutes.

     We also accept floppies.  You can send either 360Kbyte or
1.2Mbyte, five and a quarter inch floppies.  If you send 360Kbyte
floppies, send four.  The package will fit completely on one
1.2Mbyte floppy.  The floppies should be pre-formatted on your
machine.

     Send the floppies in a standard floppy mailer with a return
label, and return postage to:
	Late Night Software
	Tim Pozar
	671 28th Street
	San Francisco, CA 94131

     If you have further questions, you can write us at the above
address, or call us at +1 415 695 7727, or write to the Email
address below.

Internet: lns@f555.n125.z1.fidonet.org
    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!lns

[Extracted from some README] =================================================

			    -Amiga UUCP/UseNet-

	      by  William Loftus
			and Dan "Sneakers" Schein

	Copyright 1988 by William Loftus.      All rights reserved.
	Copyright 1988 by Sneakers Computing.  All rights reserved.

  Welcome to Anews, a Unix styled newsreader for the Amiga UUCP/UseNet project.
 The programs on this disk are setup to use Anews and store the received news
 articles in Amews styled files & directories.

  Anews stores each news article as its own file vs the all-in-one-file style
 of previous Amiga UUCP/UseNet versions. If you find that the old method of
 news file storage is prefered, simply change the config.h file (directions
 are in the file) and recompile the following programs:

	Rnews.c
	Pnews-E.c
	Pnews-M.c

  I would like to thank Fred Cassirer for Anews, it is a great program and
  a major improvment in the Amiga UUCP/UseNet project. Full directions for
  Anews are available using the MAN command.

NOTE: all the UUCP/UseNet programs should remain in the C directory! All
attempts were made to remove all hard coded references (IE: uucp:c/uux), but
some may have been missed. The compress program on this disk uses 16 bit
compression as a default (not 14 that is usual on the Amiga). If you have
problems you should use 14compress (this version uses the Amiga standard
14 bits for compression). There are man entries for most of these commands,
so if you need additional help try the man command.

UPDATES:

 The latest revisions & changes to UUCP & UseNet are posted to BERKS AMIGA BBS
 and may be downloaded for free (only costs are any long distance fees). Just
 call and when applying for membership, ask the SYSOP's for access to the
 UUCP & UseNet area.

     BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

[Extracted from the README] ==================================================

	Sketchy documentation for beta test gnuucp

	John Gilmore

This directory contains source for gnuucp, a free program that
implements the Unix uucp file transfer protocol on Unix systems and
on a variety of non-Unix systems.

Gnuucp is not derived from any AT&T or Unix code.  It is a further
development of the "uuslave" program, which was certified by AT&T to be
unlicensed.  (See the file ATT.CERTIFICATION in this directory.)
Gnuucp can be freely given to anyone, whether they have a Unix license
or not.  Gnuucp is copyright by the Free Software Foundation and can
only be distributed under the rules of the "GNU Emacs General Public
License".  Basically, you can give it to anyone, for free or for money,
but you have to provide source code, and the recipients must be able to
redistribute it on the same terms.

The system dependent part of gnuucp comes in a different file for each
supported system type.  You link or copy the right sysdep.foo file
to "sysdep.c" before compiling.  Pick one of these, or make your own:

	sysdep.unix     BSD and Sys V Unix
	sysdep.msdos    MSDOS (MSC and Turbo C)
	sysdep.st       Atari ST
	sysdep.cpm      CP/M-80
	sysdep.amiga    Commodore Amiga
	sysdep.vms      DEC VMS

Some of these ports have not been tested in a while, and will need work.

Running gnuucp

Gnuucp can receive phone calls as well as making phone calls.

When receiving calls, one way is designed for small micros
and such; gnuucp will sit and wait for someone to call on the modem,
and will then prompt them with "login: " and "Password:" and check the
answers.  When another machine calls in and supplies the right login
and password, it will run the uucp protocol to talk to that machine.
Then it hangs up the phone and goes back to listening for another call.
You get this mode by giving gnuucp an argument, which is the device
name of the serial port that it should listen on.

The other mode is for larger machines where there already exist
programs to listen for callers on the phones.  When such a program
decides that the caller is a uucp machine, it can run gnuucp with no
arguments, the same way Unix runs uucico.  Gnuucp will immediately
begin the uucp protocol negotiations on its standard input.  When it is
done transferring files, it will hang up the phone and exit.  In this
role, it acts much like the Unix "uucico" program which implements
uucp, and which is called when another machine logs in to your machine
with a login like "uucp" or "Uhoptoad".

Gnuucp can also be run in "master" mode, where it will call out on an
autodial modem.  If you run "gnuucp -S", it will call any system that
there is work queued up for.  If you run "gnuucp -Ssystem" it will
only call one system.  Currently there are no utilities for queueing
up transfers for other systems (on Unix, the "uucp" and "uux" programs
do this).  Anybody want to write free portable versions of them?

Except when listening for logins, gnuucp will change directories to
a standard place (/usr/spool/uucp on Unix systems) and will leave its
debugging logs in "gnuucp.log" in that directory.

A control file, (/usr/lib/uucp/gnuucp.ctl on Unix systems) is a text
file containing parameters like your system name, the name of the
gnuucp spool directory, the default debugging level, a list of
which serial ports exist, what baud rates work on them, and what kind
of dialers they have, etc.  You will need to edit it.  Gnuucp also
uses a standard Unix "L.sys" file, which supplies the system names,
phone numbers, and login sequences for neighboring machines.

Gnuucp takes an -xN option, where N is a number, to control the amount
of debugging output produced.  Specifying -x5, for example, gives you
all the output for levels 0 through 5.

	-1      no output (default)
	0       error messages and a copy of the LOGFILE output
	1       login trace -- errors only
	2       login trace -- full trace
	3       file transfer commands -- errors only
	4       file transfer commands -- full trace
	5       packets -- errors only
	6       packets -- full trace
	7       file name munging trace
	8       file directory scanning trace
	9       every byte that goes over the serial port

For hints on debugging and porting gnuucp, see the file PORTING.

Copyright 1987 John Gilmore; you can redistribute only if your recipients can.
{sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4,ucbvax}!hoptoad!gnu                     gnu@toad.com

[Extracted from README for UUPC] =============================================

README file for UUPC version "UUPC/post-1.0-interim/IBM-PC/MS-DOS/1"

(Please quote the above version name when corresponding with us
 about this version of UUPC.  Thanks.)

Using The Binaries
------------------

Examples:

mail -s "a subject" person1 person2@site2 site3!person3

   Send mail to a few people.

mail someone < somefile

   Send a pre-composed message.

mail

   Invoke mail's interactive (command) mode.  (Use the "?"
   command inside mail to get a commands summary.)

mail -f filename

   Same as the above, but use the specified file as the mailbox.

uuio -s bar

   Call the remote system "bar" to exchange spool files.

Some Closing Advices
--------------------

If you have questions on how this version work, the source code
would be a good place to look for the answers.  (If you only have
the binaries, check with the place you got it from for a copy of
the sources.)

Due to the tight schedule we have in putting together version 2
of UUPC, we regret that we will not be able to provide much "end-
user-support" for UUPC at this time.  We will take bug reports,
improvements and fixes, but question answerings will only be done
on a time-permitting basis.

Finally, if you plan to further distribute this version, please
try to distribute both the sources and the binaries together.
Thank you very much.

...Sam (of the UUPC Development Group)
--
Samuel Lam     {alberta,watmath,uw-beaver}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl

---
Bill
{ uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill

send comp.archives postings to twwells!comp-archives
send comp.archives related mail to twwells!comp-archives-request

--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts			  {ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst

From: comparc@twwells.uucp (comp.archives)
Newsgroups: comp.archives
Date: 10 Apr 89 05:40:01 GMT

[...]

koerberm@nixsin.UUCP (Mathias Koerber) (07/18/89)

	I too am interested in getting a normal XT (or AT) to comunicate with
	EUNET or someting similar. WHoever know ways (SW,HW-requirements,etc...)
	please let me know.

	Thx Mathias
--
-Mathias Koerber           |Tel:   +65/7473828 ext 431|uunet/usenet:
-Nixdorf Computer Singapore|Fax:   +65/7474331        |..!nixbur!koerber.sin

la063249@zach.fit.edu ( Bill Huttig) (07/19/89)

You forgot fsuucp by Chris Amber .. Its available via ftp from polyslo.calpoly.edu
and from his BBS 1-805-544-9234