[unix-pc.uucp] UUCP Protocols, "efGxd" ... and a Telebit Trailblazer Question.

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (11/13/89)

In article <1009@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>What is the "G" protocol?  Also the "d" protocol?  I've also seen
>the "x" protocol?

I'm not familiar with G

I saw 'd' the other day being offered by a 3b20 in Orlando that's
on the AT&T Datakit.  I assumed at the time that 'd' was some special
purpose gadget for datakit connections, and I was going to report
the sighting of it but forgot.  Oh well.

As I recall, 'x' is a protocol in HDB for X.25 connections.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

In article <1014@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>In article <1989Nov6.024128.1992@terminator.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu,
>Peter Honeyman writes:
>|>Lenny Tropiano writes:
>What if one assumes they have RTS/CTS hardware flow control on both
>end-points?  Wouldn't that prevent against serial port overrun
>problems with the modem sending too much to the system?

Lenny ...

Even if your hardware flow control works well (if memory serves right,
the flow control is unidrectional only) you still have some sections
of unprotected wire through which you can have noise come into the picture.
The signals going through the phone wire do come out flow controlled and
error corrected, but the tb's don't make any gaurantees beyond the
phone wire (or, at any rate, some point in the wiring inside the box).

Trust Peter ... not only does he know what he's talking about he's also
fun at parties :-)