[unix-pc.uucp] cannot get uugetty to work

jrp@rducky.uucp (JIM PICKERING) (07/01/90)

I am at my wits end.  I spent the better part of this afternoon trying to
get a uugetty(1M) working on my 3B1.  This is a desperate appeal for help.

Background:
I have an AT&T 3B1 running HDB uucp.  A 2400B 'Hayes compatable' modem
(Anchor 2400E) modem is attached to a serial port (tty001) and is set to
auto answer.  A uugetty is running on that port.

Symptoms:
All outgoing commands (uucp, cu) work perfectly.  The modem will answer,
but the uugetty acts down right bizarre.  It doesn't seem to see any
incoming characters and spews out randowm characters along with a login prompt
now and again.

Files:

In '/etc/inittab', the definition for the port is-
 001:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 tty001 2400M

The '/etc/gettydefs' definition is-
2400M# B2400 BRKINT IGNPAR ISTRIP IXON IXOFF ECHO OPOST ONLCR # HUPCL BRKINT ISTRIP ICRNL IXON OPOST ONLCR B2400 CS8 CREAD ISIG ICANON ECHO ECHOE ECHOK TAB3 #\nlogin: #1200M

The modem was initialized with the following '/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers' entry-
hayes	=,-,	"" \M\dAT&D3&C1S0=1&W\d\r\c OK\r ATDT\T\r\c CONNECT \m\c

For reference, the '/usr/lib/uucp/Devices' entries-
ACU1 tty001,M - 2400 hayes \T
ACU1 tty001,M - 1200 hayes \T
ACU1 tty001,M - 300 hayes \T

Hardware settings:
Hardware flow control is disabled on the tty port (actually tried it both ways).
The modem is hardware switched so that the modem uses the DTR signal supplied
by the computer, the modem's outgoing carrier detect signal is supplied to
the computer, and the modem supplies its DSR signal to the computer.

Does anyone have any idea how to set this up so that I can have a two
way line?  Any working examples, hand holding, etc. will be greatly
appreciated.

jim
--
Jim Pickering c/o Technical Solutions   || (north) ..csustan!polyslo!rducky!jrp
P.O. Box 1045                           || (south) ..sdsu!polyslo!rducky!jrp

andyb@stb.info.com (Masked Marauder) (07/04/90)

In article <1990Jul1.052736.1484@rducky.uucp> jrp@rducky.UUCP (JIM PICKERING) writes:
>Symptoms:
>All outgoing commands (uucp, cu) work perfectly.  The modem will answer,
>but the uugetty acts down right bizarre.  It doesn't seem to see any
>incoming characters and spews out randowm characters along with a login prompt
>now and again.

This sounds like a mismatch of either speed or parity.  Make sure
your port is tuned to the same thing the incoming call is.  Note that
I know of at least one major *N?X where getty doesn't read logmodes
properly.  Send email if you need more help.

Andy

michaelb@mikebat.UUCP (Michael R. Batchelor) (07/05/90)

I'm trying to get an external modem to selectivly answer/not_answer
the phone depending on the time of day. There was some discussion about it
a few weeks ago, but I never saw a resolution. I'm still using Version 2
uucp (L.sys etc.) so I don't have uugetty. So far I've got a set of scripts
that "setgetty 000 0" so I can access the port, then feed cu a list of
instructions known to turn off the AA function. Another script reverses
everything. These things work flawlessly when I call them from a prompt,
but are at best flakely when run from cron. If anyone ever got this working
please send me mail.

As a side note, I enabled hardware flow control (from UA, couldn't figure
out how from a prompt) but the machine apparently leaves DTR high regardless
of the getty state. On my machine at work I leave the modem in AA and just
disable the port. The modem sees DTR low and disables AA. Is there a way
to get this working on a 7300?

Michael
--
Michael Batchelor / \113\101\067\132\116\132    uunet!wshb!mikebat!michaelb

	I'd gladly trade 10 years off the whole population's life
	expectancy to give us an even shot at dominating the galaxy.