[unix-pc.uucp] extending carrier wait timeout in HDB?

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) (12/12/90)

Does anyone know of some way of extending the timeout for the remote
carrier in the UNIXpc version of HoneyDanBer UUCP?  I'm calling a
system that has a Telebit T2500 with v.42 which presents its PEP
tones at the end of its sequence.  My T2500 almost always times out
just a second or two before the PEP tones would have been presented,
which has forced me to fall back to a v.32 connection, which I find
to be only about 1/3 the speed on average (~500 baud for v.32, vs.
~1400 baud for a PEP connection).

Any ideas??

--
    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst

craig@attcan.UUCP (Craig Campbell) (12/13/90)

In article <936@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>Does anyone know of some way of extending the timeout for the remote
>carrier in the UNIXpc version of HoneyDanBer UUCP?

>Any ideas??

>--
>    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
>Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst

Try placing dashes (-) after the phone number.  Dashes's in the number indicate
a 4 second pause before dialing the next digit.  The system will just consider
the dashes part of the number, so while the computer thinks it's waiting to
dial some more, the call will be going through.

Alternatively, in the chat script (or dialers entry) you may add '\p' to delay
for .25 to .5 seconds or '/d' to delay for about 2 seconds.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact me for more help if needed,

craig

cec@cup.portal.com (Cerafin E Castillo) (12/13/90)

I found that by using commas (,) at the end of the phone number you could
force uucico to wait a little longer for valid carrier detect.  This was
especially necessary with the old UUNET Telebit set-up.  If this doesn't
work, short of a uucico source hack, you might try adding '\d' delays
in the chat script.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!
Cerafin E. Castillo                       ||      //\\  ||\\  ||
Network Consultant                        ||     //__\\ || \\ ||  Los Altos
Los Altos Networks                        ||    // ---\\||  \\||  Networks
340 Second St. #6                         ||___//      \ |   \ |
Los Altos, CA  94022
(415) 941-8031      UUCP:     {apple,sun,uunet}!portal!cup.portal.com!cec
                INTERNET:     cec@cup.portal.com

                      "...No hay mal que por bien no venga..."

jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) (12/13/90)

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:

>Does anyone know of some way of extending the timeout for the remote
>carrier in the UNIXpc version of HoneyDanBer UUCP?  I'm calling a
>system that has a Telebit T2500 with v.42 which presents its PEP
>tones at the end of its sequence.  My T2500 almost always times out
>just a second or two before the PEP tones would have been presented,

It sounds like you are asking 2 questions.  I have an answer for
the other one.  You ask about HDB timeouts but you say the T2500
times out.  To borrow from Garrett Morris:

HDB? I dunno.  T2500 been berry, berry, good to me.

>Any ideas??

I had the same problem until I changed register s7 on the Telebit.
On PEP dialouts, I set s7=60.  The default for s7 (wait for carrier
timeout) is 40 (seconds) for enhanced and 30 for conventional.

If your problem is in HDB, (shrug) I dunno.
--
Jan Isley  jan@bagend  {known universe}!gatech!bagend!jan  (404)434-1335

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (12/13/90)

I use the \d token in the Systems file expect-send chat string.
Make the first expect "", then send 22 \d as the first send.  Do the
rest of the chat handshaking as usual for logging in.  Our modem
lines are just pulse dial because we are cheapskates, and 44
seconds seems to be plenty of time to pulse dial a long distance
number, wait for the connect, then sit through the delay while the
other modem monkeys around with v.22 and v.32 before getting to
sending the PEP preamble.

One could also delay in the Dialers file chat, but I like having a
basic Dialer, then adjusting the wait time on a System by System
basis.

==Bill==
--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511

lenny@icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) (12/14/90)

writes:
|>Does anyone know of some way of extending the timeout for the remote
|>carrier in the UNIXpc version of HoneyDanBer UUCP?  I'm calling a
|>system that has a Telebit T2500 with v.42 which presents its PEP
|>tones at the end of its sequence.  My T2500 almost always times out
|>just a second or two before the PEP tones would have been presented,
|>which has forced me to fall back to a v.32 connection, which I find
|>to be only about 1/3 the speed on average (~500 baud for v.32, vs.
|>~1400 baud for a PEP connection).

I'd recommend this, it seems to work.  Although extends the retry timeout
if it's BUSY or NO ANSWER.

tbfast		=W	"" AT OK ATM0S95=0S50=255S110=1S111=30S7=60DTW\T CONNECT-\c-CONNECT

Notice the CONNECT-\c-CONNECT sequence, basically if it doesn't get CONNECT,
(ie. it times out) it will send nothing, and get expect CONNECT.  This works
fine for me.

-L.
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny@icus.ICUS.COM |
| ...!{ames,cs.utexas.edu,pacbell}!icus!lenny           attmail!icus!lenny  |

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (12/14/90)

In article <936@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
> Does anyone know of some way of extending the timeout for the remote
> carrier in the UNIXpc version of HoneyDanBer UUCP?

It's real easy in *any* version of the HDB-UUCP version of the BNU.

Here's what we do to over-come the excessive wait sometimes imposed by
our "phone-system" for connecting long-distance calls:

hayesne	=,-,	"" \M\p\r\pAT\r\c OK\r ATS7=60\r\c OK\r ATDT\T\r\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\d\c CONNECT \m\c

(For anyone who's news transport system munged the previous line, well,
it contains a series of '\d's, and then a '\c', immediately after the
"ATDT\T\r".)

S7 tells the Hayes (clone) modem to wait 60 seconds for carrier.  The
'\d's are 2 second delays each.  (A '\p' is only a 1/4-1/2 second pause.)
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada