[net.news.group] net.women

mts (01/06/83)

	I'd like to create a new newsgroup for men and women to
share experiences and support women.  Whether it aid in solving
problems, or develop into a "New Woman's Network" depends on
the responses.

	For the record, I'm not a man-hater(Ihave one of my own),
nor have I burned my bras(I still use one).  Nevertheless, I
feel strongly about women getting ahead in the world, and about
men being the logical choices to help us.

	If you have any ideas or feelings for or against such
a newsgroup, please let me know.

                       write --> M. T. Sarantakos
				 houxo!mts

ken (01/07/83)

Maybe I don't understand why there needs to be special *women's*
communications.  I was under the impression that both sexes could
benefit by discussion and mutual support, as found in net.singles.

mts (01/07/83)

Dear interested readers,

	As of 11:30 A.M. today, I've received 21 responses to my
broadcast for a new group called net.women.  I greatly appreciate the
support from the 15 men and 3 women.

	Unfortunately, 3 men thought my idea as:
		- "ridiculous ... selfish, bigoted... disgusting...
			[and] vile"
		- not having enough to discuss [paraphrased]
		- "frivolous discussions, arbitrary chat"

[I will ignore such comments, as they were in the minority, and coming
from men who obviously were having a 'bad day', and totally misinter-
preted my intent.]

	Anyway, I think such a newsgroup can greatly aid professional
women at the technical, clerical, and service level, who are interested
in professional and personal growth(thanks Cheryl).

	I also think that making it net.AA instead of net.women, we may
be trying to handle too much(thanks Paul). What are your feelings?

	Here are some topics that I seem to hear most frequently
discussed amongst women today:
		* eliminating sexual harassment
		* promoting women: seems that many women have been
		  trained to fear the responsibilities of supervising
		* day-care of children of working parents to be company
		  or federally supported
		* equal pay for equal worth: I understand women still, on
		  the average, make only 59% of what men make
		* legalizing abortion

	I could go on, but I won't!

NOTE: Please, if you really don't like this group, and since you're
in the minority, don't clutter up the net.general files with your
destructive criticism and flaming.  The whole intent of this group
is to build a network of supportive human beings who honestly can
perceive some problems with how the world sometimes works, and to
relieve some of the pain by discussing issues, sharing ideas and
experiences, clearing the air, and providing necessary and vital
contacts across the nation for the advancement of all.

	Finally, if anyone knows what requirements one must meet to
create this new group, and whom to call, please let me know.

	Thank you.

					Mary T. Sarantakos
					(201) 922-7065

lee (01/09/83)

I (and Theresa) agree that net.singles is good enough!

		--Lee

		..!harpo!floyd!cmcl2!lanl-a!unmvax!lee

mckeon (01/09/83)

Howdy:

A news group for women / women's issues / ( supportive/interested men )
sounds good, worthy, appropriate, etc. I vote yes.

The topics do not, i feel, belong in net.singles, as that seems more
oriented to discussions of interactions, dating practices, and ( how
shall i say ) ?older? gender-role mind-sets.

Better to have a group that reflects newer mind-sets - less argument
about things many of us have worked out - but that poses a problem -
how to recruit/raise consciousness from the older mind-set folks.

Denis McKeon

~ !cmcl2!lanl-a!unmvax!mckeon

idallen (01/10/83)

Splitting off and starting a separate news group to discuss
women's issues isolates the discussion and preserves the
impression that women's issues are not of general interest.

Women's issues are men's issues are people's issues.

Don't draw lines to separate people.

	-IAN!   U of Waterloo   decvax!watmath!idallen

dkw (01/11/83)

I agree that a news group for women's issues and as an attempt to set up an
analog of an old boy's network (to be called what: an old girl's network?
an old women's network?) makes a great deal of sense.
  While this is obviously seperate from net.singles, I'm not sure it represents
a newer mind-set.  As long as we no longer find it neccessary to marry as soon
as possible there will be a number of unmarried people (singles) around and
as it is a new phenomenom discussion of how it should work makes sense.
  So set up net.women, keep net.singles, and let's not worry about which is
the newer mindset

pn (01/12/83)

There appears to be some confusion concerning the charter of a newsgroup
called net.women. turtlevax!ken and unm-ivax!lee thought such discussions
belonged in net.singles. Believe it or not, women are interested in more
than meeting a "member of the opposite (or appropriate, as the case may be)
sex". As Cheryl put it, net.women could help further the personal and
professional growth of women (maybe men too!). Sharing ideas, that's what
this network is about.

sdo (01/12/83)

Newsgroups should be formed based on how many people WANT them - not
how many people DON'T want them.  A previous article states:

"Splitting off and starting a separate news group to discuss
women's issues isolates the discussion and preserves the
impression that women's issues are not of general interest."

Nobody ever said that forming a newsgroup means that the subject is not
of general interest.  Suppose everyone reads net.games.rogue.  This
is no reason to put it back in net.general.  As far as I'm concerned,
refusing to start a separate newsgroup for women implies that they
don't have important enough issues to discuss.  I've said enough.

			Scott Orshan (Male)
			Bell Labs Piscataway
			201-981-3064
			houxm!u1100a!sdo

ark (01/12/83)

While you're at it, how about net.men?

chrys (01/13/83)

Is it very difficult to subscribe to "net.women" as well as "net.singles"?
If one is interested in the specific issues generated by this group then
one could quite easily subscribe to both.

		Chris Helmers.

gary (01/13/83)

separate people", I think that a separate newsgroup is good for
stimulating discussion of women's issues. Just because you're a man
doesn't mean you can't read it or contribute!

                                a feminist,
                                gary cottrell ( ... !seismo!rochester!gary)

furuta (01/14/83)

Please DON'T think of net.general as the proper place for discussions
which don't have their own newsgroup.  Think of net.general as a place
to reach everybody.  Use something like net.misc instead.

Concerning net.black, net.widow, net.divorce, and net.men:  There is
absolutely no requirement that there exist a newsgroup for every
possible division of a particular subject area.  The only requirement
should be that there exist enough people who want to talk about or hear
about the subject to justify the group's presence.

			--Rick

bentson (01/15/83)

I too have been bothered by the title "net.women" (not the topics
however). Perhaps a more appropriate (and general) title for the
group would be "net.sexism". Remember, sexism, like most isms, is
not a problem limited to just the subject group; it's a problem
for all of us.

Randy Bentson
Colo State U - Comp Sci