[bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts] loading seq gels

GREENGARD.LEWIS@BIONET-20.ARPA (05/13/88)

From: Robert M. Lewis <GREENGARD.LEWIS@BIONET-20.ARPA>

Several people responded to my query about devices for loading seq gels.  Since they contain specific product names, I have not posted them on any bboards.  If you want a copy of these suggestions, I will e-mail them to anyone who requests.
-------

KRISTOFFERSON@BIONET-20.ARPA (05/13/88)

From: David Kristofferson <Kristofferson@BIONET-20.ARPA>

There is no problem with posting messages that contain the names of
commercial products.  Our only objection is when messages start coming
in that contain possibly unwarranted criticism of products.  We do not
want to get BIONET embroiled in these kinds of disputes.  Messages
that describe what a product does in factual terms are not
objectionable and have been common on ARPANET computer science bboards
for years.  However, the standard practice has been for the person
posting the announcement to affirm in the message that they have no
financial interest in the company mentioned.  Along the same lines,
people connected with any institution normally also include
disclaimers that the opinions expressed are their own and are not
endorsed by their institution.  I hope that this short course in
bureaucracy/law 101 clarifies this point.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIONET Resource Manager

GREENGARD.LEWIS@BIONET-20.ARPA (05/15/88)

From: Robert M. Lewis <GREENGARD.LEWIS@BIONET-20.ARPA>

These are the messages I received in response to my request for alternate
methods of gel loading.  I have no financial connection with any of the
companies, institutions or individuals mentioned below.  I have not tried any
of these devices yet.

12-May-88 07:55:39-PDT,1084;000000000000
Date: Thu 12 May 88 07:55:34-PDT
From: JOHN E. MOLE <MOLE@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: SEQUENCING GELS
To: GREENGARD.LEWIS@BIONET-20.ARPA
cc: MOLE@BIONET-20.ARPA
OCALA, FLA 32678.(I-800-LAB-TIPS). THE ITEM NO. IS 3-00-203. AS FOR A
MICROPIPETTER WE USE THE EPPENDORF ULTRA MICRO DIGITAL PIPETTE. THE ONE
DRAWBACK IS THAT ITS RANGE IS FROM 0.5-10UL AND NOT 0.1UL. yOU CAN
USE SOME SPECIALIZED PIPETTES FROM USA PLASTICS THAT HAVE DRAWN OUT TIPS FOR
THE VOLUMES BELOW 0.5UL. THE ITEM NO. FOR THE PIPETTE IS 22 33 343-7. WE HAVE
USED EVERTHING FROM DRAWNOUT GLASS PIPETTES(THE EARLY DAYS)
TO ALMOST EVERY MICROPIPETTER ON THE MARKET. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR
SEARCH. OH, BY THE WAY, I DO NOT WORK FOR EITHER USA OR EPPENDORF.JUST A
LOWLY RESEARCHER!.
BEST REGARDS,
JACKIE MOLE
-------
12-May-88 09:21:59-PDT,1009;000000000000
Date: Thu 12 May 88 09:21:52-PDT
From: Norman Pieniazek <RLUFTIG.PIENIAZEK@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Loading sequencing gels
To: GREENGARD.LEWIS@BIONET-20.ARPA
Dear Dr. Lewis:
     I use the P20 Pipetman and the Multiflex Microcappilary Tips (Flat)
from PGC Scientifics, Cat. # 107-103. They fit in the wells of a .3 mm gel
and can be also used for .2 mm gels. There is no cross contamination from
sample to sample. I normally load 1 ul.
     The address of PGS Scientific is listed below:
9161 Industrial Court
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20877
(301) 840-1111
          Sincerely,
          Norman Pieniazek
          Department of Microbiology,
          Immunology and Parasitology
          LSU Medical Center
          1901 Perdido Street
          New Orleans, LA 70112-1393
p.s. if you get some other hints, please re-mail them to me.
Norman
-------
12-May-88 09:30:52-PDT,787;000000000000
Date: Thu 12 May 88 09:30:49-PDT
From: GARY W. LITMAN <LITMAN@BIONET-20.ARPA>
To: GREENGARD.LEWIS@BIONET-20.ARPA
cc: LITMAN@BIONET-20.ARPA
     I HAVE FOUND THE EPPENDORF 0.5-10ul PIPETTOR WITH THEIR ULTRAMICRO
PIPET TIPS TO BE AN EXCELLENT COMBINATION FOR LOADING SEQUENCING GELS.  PLACE
THE TIP GENTLY BETWEEN THE TWO PLATES BUT DO NOT TRY TO INSERT IT  DOWN INTO
THE SPACE BETWEEN THE PLATES. PIPET SLOWLY AND SMOOTHLY, ALLOWING  GRAVITY TO
PULL THE REACTION MIXTURE/LOADING DYE INTO THE WELL. THE
EPPENDORF PIPETTOR IS PRECISE AND ACCURATE WITHIN YOUR DESIRED RANGE.  ------
-

-------