[bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts] Ethidium Bromide

linder@URZ.UNIBAS.CH (01/19/89)

Concerns destruction of ethidium bromide:

We use ethidium bromide in our experiments, but we have not found yet a
satisfactory way to destroy it afterwards. So the ethidium bromide waste
accumulates in large bottles in the lab. How do you handle ethidium bromide
waste? Do you use the potassium-permanganate/HCl method (Quillardet and
Hoffnung; TIGS 4,p89, 1989). Do you handle ethidium bromide waste in aequos
solutions and in isopropanol separately? Any suggestion on the destruction
of ethidium bromide is welcome.

                Thanks

P. Linder
Biozentrum Basel
Klingelbergstrasse 70
4056 BASEL/Switzerland
linder%urz.unibas.ch@relay.cs.net

lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) (01/19/89)

We have always used Chlorox bleach, a 2:1 solution is supposed
to destroy EtBr.

--

Frank Kolakowski
|lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu                         ||      Lee F. Kolakowski   |

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (01/20/89)

In article <LFK.89Jan18184736@mbio.med.upenn.edu>, lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) writes:

> We have always used Chlorox bleach, a 2:1 solution is supposed
> to destroy EtBr.
>

> --
>
> Frank Kolakowski

I have used this as well, but have heard that it supposedly results in some
other bad byproducts....

Does anyone have more info on the products of EtBr + Bleach??

Keith

uunet!rob!elliston
   -or-
elliston@rob.uucp