[bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts] REA patterns

morrow@murdu.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Christopher Morrow) (05/29/90)

I have been very interested in photography of REA patterns of bacteria
and further processing by computers.  Recently I have looked at
improving photograph resolution and manipulating constrast (NAR
17:6751) and I have tried the NSCA gelreader program.

The gel reader program is fantastic taking a digitized picture and
identifying lanes and bands and generating rf values.  It is designed
for DNA but could easily be adapted for protein work.  It handles
standards.  It runs on a Mac with a colour card (ours is a Mac II)
and it is recommended to use a HP Scan jet plus for digitizing as the
apple scanner doesnot have the required grey scale.

What I was thinking was could a scanner be modified to scan gels?
Either by putting a UV source above the gel on the scan bed or
altering the laser/dye/glass or just using it as is.
I wanted to try to stop buying film and was thinking of a video camera
but this idea appeals to me.  Perhaps HP could design a water proof
scanner.

Chris Morrow

elliston@av8tr.UUCP (Keith Elliston) (05/30/90)

In article <1866@murdu.oz>, morrow@murdu.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Christopher Morrow) writes:
> 17:6751) and I have tried the NSCA gelreader program.
>
> The gel reader program is fantastic taking a digitized picture and
> identifying lanes and bands and generating rf values.  It is designed
> for DNA but could easily be adapted for protein work.  It handles

The subject line says it...  Where do I find this and how much do I
have to shell out to get it.

Keith
uunet!av8tr!elliston

Keith O. Elliston       |    .signature really under construction....
uunet!av8tr!elliston    |