List of responses:
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 15:33:31 -0700
From: "Marc D. Perry" <mdperry@boulder.Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re: king-size-cloning
To: FRED@BLEKUL13.BITNET

Fred,

Many of the early ColE1/pMB9 derived vectors (from which pUC's are
derived) were 10 kb, and genomic libraries constructed in them had
avg. insert sizes of 10 kb (10 + 10 = 20).  So I wouldn't call
Guinness just yet.

Marc P.
Marc D. Perry                               (303) 492 8258
MCD Biology, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0347
internet: mdperry@boulder.colorado.edu
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 10:52 EDT
From: Department of Molecular Karma <YABLONSKY@MBCL.BITNET>
To: FRED@BLEKUL13.BITNET

Minor league....but keep trying!!!
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 13:25 EST
From: SCOLNIPA%ESVAX@dupont.com
To: FRED@blekul13.BITNET

No way.  We have several plant clones in pUC that are 15 kb or bigger.
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 10:58:21 EST
To: fred@blekul13.bitnet
Subject: king-size-cloning

I was not too surprised.  I had cloned several 10 to 16 kb inserts in
pUC plasmids.  In addition cosmids (derivatives of pUC plasmids with cos
site) take up 40 kb inserts and stably replicate as plasmids.
K. Bhat
Date:     Tue, 26 JUN 90 17:39:05 GMT
From:     PHILLIPSA@ LARS.AFRC.AC.UK
To:       METHODS@ DLGM.DARESBURY.AC.UK

Re: KING-SIZE-CLONING

Fred,

My record is a 21.9 kbp fragment of tomato chloroplast
DNA in pUC8 (A. Phillips, Curr. Genet (1985) 10:147-152.
Raise you 13kbp?

Andy
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 07:14:18 EDT
To: FRED@blekul13.BITNET

Fred,

I don't find subcloning a 9 kb fragment into pUC unusual.  We have inserted
8 and 10 kb fragments before.

douglas prasher
woods hole oceanographic inst
FRED at BLEKUL13.
Acknowledge-To: <FRED@BLEKUL13>

rabani@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Ely Rabani/D Smith) (07/02/90)

In article <9006261058.AA25702@genbank.bio.net> FRED@blekul13.bitnet (fred) writes:
>The fun thing is that she has managed to clone a 9 kB SacI fragment
>into the 2.7 kB pUC vector and that the thing is behaving completely
>normal in our E.Coli as if it was not 11.7 kB big. Our question now:
>is this the world record or are we too optimistic? Unless someone
>says that these vectors can do more than expected we want to believe
>that this is an exceptionally big insert for pUC. Is this

Don't really know about pUC, but supposedly inserts >40kb (!!!!!) have
been successfully cloned into M13...saw this cited someplace in Methods
in Enzymology, think the reference was Michael Bevan.

ER