[bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts] Need human monocyte isolation procedure

danielg@uncmed.med.unc.edu (11/09/90)

We need to isolate *viable* human monocytes from whole blood, with >90%
purity, and highest possible yield, of course :-).  In the past we have
used mono-poly resolving media (Flow Labs), which gives two bands, one
containing polynuclear cells, the other containing mononukes.  We need to
remove the lymphocytes (we have also had a slight problem with some pmn
contamination in the mono layer - poly layer, however, has been quite
pure).

All suggestions warmly welcomed.  Email or post.

Thanks in advance,

dan
     S A V E  T H E  W H A L E S  ,  K I L L  O U R  U N B O R N  ??
Daniel G. Sinclair - UNC Chapel Hill - Satisfied in Jesus. :-).  Ahhhhhh.

kelley@aclcb.purdue.edu (Steve Kelley) (11/10/90)

In article <1573@beguine.UUCP>, danielg@uncmed.med.unc.edu writes:

>We need to isolate *viable* human monocytes from whole blood, with >90%
>purity, and highest possible yield, of course :-).  In the past we have

Have you tried flow cytometry?  Purity > 90% should be no problem at all,
but what exactly do you mean by highest possible yield?  Flow will limit
you to looking at a couple thousand cells per second, and picking out
whatever fraction of the input are monocytes.

If flow cytometry alone won't get you the numbers you need, perhaps a
two-step procedure will do it?

I believe Larry Arnold is at UNC, in the dept of Micro and Immuno.  He
can fill you in on all the gory details of sorting.

Steve Kelley

    Name: Steve Kelley
Internet: kelley@aclcb.purdue.edu
   Phone: 317 494-8638