[bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts] Religious comments on networks

clark@mshri.utoronto.ca (11/11/90)

	Brian Fristensky writes:

/In a recent posting, Dan Jacobson writes
/
/]In  recent post  S. Sanford writes:
/]>A message came over this bboard that I personally feel contained
/]>inappropriate sociopolitical commentary.  There are many other outlets
/]>for this kind of discussion.  Just a pet peeve, perhaps.  Thanks,
/
/] [message agrees with S. Sanford and adds that posting a religious message
/] to the network may be illegal - summarized by S.Clark to reduce bandwidth]
/
/Hey, lighten up guys! Yes, I agree that bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts is
/not the place for political/religious discussions, but let's cut people a
/_little_ slack. If you want to get technical about it, anybody who includes a
/funny quip or profound quotation in their signature is wasting bandwidth at
/government/institutional expense. Nonetheless, I don't think it really
/hurts, and it does help break the tedium if a message is accompanied by an
/interesting signature.

	I believe the problem is that the US Constitution forbids the
government from promoting or supporting *any* religion, and this message was
posted on Internet, parts of which are supported by the US government, and
on a newsgroup maintained by GenBank/Intelligenetics, under contract to the
Department of Health and Human Services, which is part of the US government.
Americans take their constitution very seriously, and in my opinion, I think
our (Canadian) constitution would do well to have a similar clause.

	George Chacko adds:

/It certainly isn't illegal. The Usenet has many newgroups some of which are
/devoted exclusively to religious and political discussion. Have you read
/
/ [Other stuff deleted.]

	I saw this message via the Internet, not Usenet. Also, there's a
difference between discussing and promoting religion. Perhaps Dave
Kristofferson should take as strong a stand against religious messages as he
does against commercial ones.

Steve Clark

clark@mshri.utoronto.ca  (Internet)
clark@utoroci            (Netnorth/Bitnet)

chacko@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (George W. Chacko) (11/12/90)

In article <9011110615.AA04925@lash.utcs.utoronto.ca> clark@mshri.utoronto.ca writes:

>	I believe the problem is that the US Constitution forbids the
>government from promoting or supporting *any* religion, and this message was
>posted on Internet, parts of which are supported by the US government, and
>on a newsgroup maintained by GenBank/Intelligenetics, under contract to the
>Department of Health and Human Services, which is part of the US government.
>Americans take their constitution very seriously, and in my opinion, I think
>our (Canadian) constitution would do well to have a similar clause.

I do believe that this is getting out of control. One line of trailer
has sparked off four follow up postings to date all of which have actively
discussed this propriety issue and ignored methds-reagnts completely. I
find it difficult to agree with Steve Clark in that Dan Sinclair was
promoting religion. Neither is the US government, just because of an
individuals signature file.I believe that this attitude is repressive. By this
yardstick all .sig files should be prohibited incase they offend someone
else on the newgroup or because someone might consider it a promotional
attempt of sorts. Similarly in my opinion, what the Canadian constitution
would do well to do could also be construed as promoting a political
school of thought and quite unnecessary as far as this newsgroup goes.

>	I saw this message via the Internet, not Usenet. Also, there's a
>difference between discussing and promoting religion.

Are you implying that it's OK to discuss religion but not to promote
it?

Lastly, as far as I know (Dave Kristofferson correct me if I'm wrong) I
do believe that it is perfectly legal to have ANYTHING on your .sig file.
If you post on a newsgroup and other readers find the tone or contents
of your posting distressing for some reason you will get flamed either
by e-mail or as follow up postings. This really hasn't happened on this
newgroup or on any of the bionet newgroups as far as I can remmember but
it seems to be developing. However, no one can really dictate what you
may or may not post. The US constitution does guarantee freedom of
expression. One way out of this is to scan the trailer first in every
posting and edit your Kill file accordingly. Seems quite absurd to me
but it works.

Smiles (oops did I say something wrong?)

George

kristoff@genbank.bio.net (David Kristofferson) (11/13/90)

Dave Kristofferson sez:

	"This newsgroup is for discussing scientific methods.  The
	 conclusion is obvious.  This kind of exchange drives people
	 away from the newsgroups, so let's please terminate it now.

			     Thank you!"
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson