[bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts] Further info on Help needed with a plasmid

friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (01/16/91)

My original posting

>We recently received a plasmid for which we have no information.  The plasmid,
>we are interested in studying.  However, due to the lack of sequence info or a
>restriction map of this plasmid, we are kind of stuck.  There is no mention of
>this in any databank we have available.  Does anybody know anything about this
>plasmid?

>Please e-mail to
>Friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu

>Thanks
>Rich Friedman

I was didn't notice that after the pasting of the text into the news group, the
plasmid name was left off.  The plasmid is pW8. It is apparently a P-element
vector used for inserting DNA into the genome of Drosophila melanogaster.

gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (01/16/91)

In article <247.27934eb5@mbcl.rutgers.edu> friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:

>I was didn't notice that after the pasting of the text into the news group, the
>plasmid name was left off.  The plasmid is pW8. It is apparently a P-element
>vector used for inserting DNA into the genome of Drosophila melanogaster.

If this is any help, there is a PW8(something) mentioned in
John Merriam's Drosophila clone list.  Here are the entries.
clonelist.txt:7D1,2        [PW8hsp-sev ch41]hsp,sev 3      0   Science243:931
clonelist.txt:46E          [PW8hsp-sev ch21]hsp,sev 3      0   Science243:931
clonelist.txt:93B          [PW8hsp-sev ch50]hsp,sev 3      0   Science243:931

The first column is cytological map location, the next [PW8...] is gene name
the third ("3") is "transformed inserts", the fourth column ("0") is size in
kilobases, and the last is a reference.

This clonelist is available via anonymous ftp from iubio.bio.indiana.edu,
directory [archive.fly]
-- Don
--
Don Gilbert    gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu

fischgf@milton.u.washington.edu (Guadalupe Fisch) (01/17/91)

Does anybody know the name and source of a good mitecide
(for killing mites on a drosophila stocks.)  Please send info to
fischgf@milton.u.washington.edu
Thanks, Lupe