[bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts] Seeking alternatives to silanizing gel plates

kliman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (04/11/91)

     We have found that repeated silanization of glass plates used for DNA
sequencing gels eventually leads to problems in pouring the gel, i.e., the gel
mix does not flow evenly and forms persistent bubbles.  While we can correct
this by overnight soaking in 10-20% NaOH, we would rather not leave large
volumes of NaOH out overnight on a regular basis.  And, of course, we would
prefer to decrease our exposure to silane..
    Has anyone else experienced similar problems?  We'd appreciate any
suggested alternatives to silanization that could be used on a daily basis.
Thanks.

NUM208JN@NRCCAD.NRC.CA (John Nash) (04/11/91)

>To: methods-and-reagents@ocelot.rutgers.edu
>From: kliman@ocelot.rutgers.edu
>Subject: Seeking alternatives to silanizing gel plates
>Date: 10 Apr 91 22:03:25 GMT

>     We have found that repeated silanization of glass plates used for DNA
>sequencing gels eventually leads to problems in pouring the gel, i.e., the gel
>mix does not flow evenly and forms persistent bubbles.  While we can correct
>this by overnight soaking in 10-20% NaOH, we would rather not leave large
>volumes of NaOH out overnight on a regular basis.  And, of course, we would
>prefer to decrease our exposure to silane..

We use Aquasil from Pierce Chemicals. It is a water-soluble,
silicon-based "glass coater" for hospital equipment.  I dilute 10 ml
in 2.5 litres of water and do all the glassware I can find.  You
"rinse" the glass in it, wash in water, then either bake for 1 hour or
let it sit at RT for a day, then wash.  This stuff actually makes
sequencing gels easier to pour.  It lasts for about 5 to 10 gels.

When you fix the first gel run after washing the plates, the plate in
the fixer loses some of its coating.  This is handy for subsequent
sequencing gels, as the gel tends to come off onto that plate each
time.  This prevents half the gel sticking to one plate and half the
gel sticking to the other.

Hope this helps.

cheers,
John.   (Bitnet: NUM208JN@NRCCAD.NRC.CA)

roca@psl.wisc.edu (Alberto I. Roca) (04/11/91)

In article <384.2803536d@mbcl.rutgers.edu>, kliman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:

>     We have found that repeated silanization of glass plates used for DNA
>sequencing gels eventually leads to problems in pouring the gel, i.e., the gel
>mix does not flow evenly and forms persistent bubbles.  While we can correct
>this by overnight soaking in 10-20% NaOH, we would rather not leave large
>volumes of NaOH out overnight on a regular basis.  And, of course, we would
>prefer to decrease our exposure to silane..
>    Has anyone else experienced similar problems?  We'd appreciate any
>suggested alternatives to silanization that could be used on a daily basis.
>Thanks.

We coat one side of one plate with Rain-X (available from hardware stores).
Other people spray their plates with Pam. In either case, it is unnecessary
to treat with silanization.

Alberto I. Roca                 Internet: roca@vms.macc.wisc.edu
Biochemistry                    Bitnet:   roca@wiscmacc
420 Henry Mall
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, Wisconsin 53706 USA

kim@m44.unm.edu (04/16/91)

>In article <384.2803536d@mbcl.rutgers.edu>, kliman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>     (stuff omitted)
>We coat one side of one plate with Rain-X (available from hardware stores).
>Other people spray their plates with Pam. In either case, it is unnecessary
>to treat with silanization.

I like the idea of cheap household products that can do the same functions as
expensive "biotechnology" stuff.  I have been told, as part of the oral
tradition of the lab where I work, that glassware and plasticware to be used in
handling RNA should be silanized to prevent adherence and 'hold-up' of nucleic
acids.  This is applied to micropipet tips, micro-tubes, and columns for
poly(A)+ selection.  Does anyone have any idea why Rain-X cannot be used for
this purpose?  I imagine that Rain-X out of an unopened bottle is as free of
RNAases as other factory-fresh reagents, or could treated surfaces be
autoclaved for good measure?

Daniel Kim