[bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts] pcr MACHINE

D54%TRANAVM1@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (suleyman AYDIN) (11/08/90)

>From:         MURPHY@JII.AFRC.AC.UK
>
>   We are considering the purchase of a PCR machine which will accomodate
>microtitre plates. Does anybody out there have any opinions on which is the
>best such machine and on how they compare to regular tube-type PCR's?

  I am interested also.. please mail to me also any info related  above request

  Also; I am looking for info on  ELECTRON MICROSCOPE prices
  (TEM is first choice..)    but could not find it here in our country.(!!)
  Does anyone knows?  (It is needed because iT iS the first point that administ
rators take into consideration})

Suleyman AYDIN (ph.d. student)                 |Snailmail: Medicinal Plants
Bitnet: d31:TRanaVM1.bitnet                    |          Res. Cntr.,
INTERNET:d31%Tranavm1.bitnet@Cunyvm.cuny.edu   |      Tepebasi 26470-Eskisehir
                                                        T U R K E Y

launce@apollo.med.utah.edu (Launce Gouw) (11/10/90)

There are a number of machines that will accomodate microtitre plates
for PCR or other thermal cycling applications.  The ones I know of
include the Bios, the Grant and the Techne systems.  The Bios looks
like a microwave oven and uses air convection, the Grant looks (is) a
modified waterbath that uses water as its medium for heating/cooling
and the Techne has a heating/cooling metal block.  All three will also
accomodate microfuge tubes.

Other labs in our building have tested/used all three, and the verdict
seems to point to the Techne.  From what I've heard: 1) the Bios air
convection just doesn't ramp the sample temperatures up and down
quickly or accurately enough, 2) the Grant seems to have problems
achieving and maintaining proper temperature levels as well, but 3)
the Techne appears to be exemplary.  I have heard that it is at least
as good, if not better than the industry standard, the P-E Cetus
machine, and that the software is flexible and user-friendly.  The
Techne uses water cooling, and thus needs to be near a source of
water.  The special heat-resistant 96-well microtitre plates cost
$5/each!  We hope to purchase a Techne soon for ourselves.  Hope this
posting helps!!

Techne info. # is: 1-800-225-9243

** DISCLAIMER ** I (and my lab) have nothing to do with any of the
aforementioned companies other than as customers (or potential
customers).
--
*** --- **********************************************************************
   / /   _____

macferrin@slsvax.harvard.edu (Kurtis MacFerrin) (11/16/90)

In article <LAUNCE.90Nov9175838@apollo.med.utah.edu>, launce@apollo.med.utah.edu (Launce Gouw) writes...
>There are a number of machines that will accomodate microtitre plates
>for PCR or other thermal cycling applications.  The ones I know of

You might also want to look into the MJ Research Programmable Thermal
Controller. I think they have models which will accomodate microtiter plates.
They're in Cambridge, MA. Sorry, I don't know the address or tel. #, but you
can probably get it from the telephone co.

The MJR PTC is what we use for our PCRs, and we're pretty happy with it. With
some of the early models they had problems with the semiconductor junctions
which do the heating and cooling, but they seem to have all the bugs worked
out now, and they were very helpful with repairs whenever we had a problem.

Kurtis MacFerrin	macferrin@slsvax.harvard.edu

HRMBDKC@hkumd1.hku.hk (05/14/91)

Has anyone had experience with a thermal cycler sold by MJ Research
model PTC100? I need to buy a new one and the blurb and price seem
reasonable but I would like some idea of the reliability, temp.accuracy
well to well, and ease of use of this machine. Thanks to those who reply.
Kathy Cheah
HRMBDKC@HKUCC.BITNET

mcgraw%gandal.dnet@SERVER.UGA.EDU (05/15/91)

HI Kathy
	We have an MJ machine, have had it for over one year.  We're happy with
it and have ordered another one.  I suggest you call them up and ask for a demo.
Al McGraw
mcgraw%gandal.dnet@server.uga.edu