[bionet.molbio.seqnet] SEQNET Bulletin RELAY ONLY: reply to SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (02/19/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

                    SEQNET - CHANGE OF ADDRESS
Please mail bulletins for inclusion in SEQNET to:
              SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.BIO
which is the Cambridge University Molecular Biology VAX 8350.
Please do not use the old address:
              SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
nor           MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.VMS-SUPP
Also, note that the BIORELAY@UK.AC.CAM.BIO should not be used for messages
as it will only receive error reports.   Thank you.
                                             Martin Bishop.
                                             18 Feb 1988.

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (02/20/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    Georges Ware <Ware@UK.AC.AUCC> 19-FEB-1988 14:13
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    Re: SEQNET
Date:  Fri, 19 Feb 88 14:11 GMT

A NEW INTERNATIONAL ELECTRONIC JOURNAL IN THE UK

A new Bulletin Board, in the form of an electronic
journal, has been set up on the Bristol University Mainframe.
The Journal is open to receive communications on any
scientific subject, but particularly on Molecular Microbiology.

Publication in the Journal is FREE.
Papers submitted will be published IMMEDIATELY they are received.
Papers will NOT be refereed nor Edited before publication.

The Journal should, therefore, prove a rapid and expanding site
for dissemination of information prior to publication through normal
channels.  Papers already accepted for publication elsewhere but
not yet published are welcome.

This Bulletin Board is not a 'chat-show'  and contributions
can not be made directly by authors.

Contributions, which should be more or less in 'journal format',
should be sent EITHER by electronic mail to:
BRUNEP at UK.AC.BRISTOL
OR, by post, as a plain-ASCII text file on
IBM-compatible 360Kb 5.25-inch floppy disc, to:
The Editor, BRUNEP, The Department of Microbiology,
The University of Bristol, BS8 1TD.  U.K.
(Telephone 272-303500)
Contributions in any other form will NOT be accepted.

Papers should preferably be in English, but papers in other European
languages may be submitted.

The Journal can be read by anyone simply by entering the
Bristol Mainframe.

The Computer is connected to the academic network JANET
which can be reached from PSS using the gateway address

23421920014869

Once connected to JANET the address UK.AC.BRISTOL.MULTICS is adequate.
For those needing an absolute address,

00006021000100

should be used, prefixed by a full-stop i.e. .00006021000100

Telephone 'modem' connection is also possible:
272-215401   (300 baud offers direct connection to Multics)

On connection to Multics the following 'banner' will be received.

Multics MR22.0: Avon Universities, Bristol (Channel c.h008)
Load = 38.4 out of 160.0 units: users = 34, 01/06/88  1345.6 gmt Wed

Users should then type

enter BRUNEP         (the abreviation 'e BRUNEP' may also be used)

No prior registration is necessary, and
USE OF THE JOURNAL IS FREE and SELF-EXPLANATORY.
PAPERS ARE URGENTLY NEEDED TO GET THE JOURNALS GOING!

FURTHER DEATILS CAN BE OBTAINED BY ENTERING THE JOURNAL.

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (02/24/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

More European Molecular Biologists.
On VAX/VMS you can @ the file to unpick it.
Please send your details if you have not already done so.

$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating DOELZ."
$CREATE DOELZ.
$DECK
From: doelz@ch.unibas.urz
Dr. Reinhard Doelz
Biophysics Department - Biocomputing
BIOZENTRUM
Klingelbergstr. 70
CH-4056 BASEL
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HOLMES."
$CREATE HOLMES.
$DECK
NAME:            EDDIE HOLMES
ADDRESS:         DEPT. OF ZOOLOGY, UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE, DOWNING STREET,
                 CAMBRIDGE, CB2 3EJ.
COUNTRY:         UK
PHONE:           0223-336650
NETWORK ID:      EH102@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
PROFESSION:      LOWLY RESEARCH STUDENT
RESEARCH         MOLECULAR EVOLUTION, MAMMALIAN EVOLUTION, PROBABILISTIC
INTERESTS:       MODELLING, CLASSIFICATION, PROSIMIANS.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating MURRAYRUST."
$CREATE MURRAYRUST.
$DECK
  Peter Murray-Rust
  Glaxo Group Research
  Greenford Road
  MIDDX UB6 0HE

  PMR1716@UK.CO.GLAXO

You might well encounter some problems mailing to this address:
 - We are commercial and there might be political problems (I hope not)
 - Part of the transmission has to involve PSS (I think BT insist) and
  this probably means someone has to pay
 - Our X25 is problematical at present!

I am however very keen on developing an electronic Club for UK macromolecualr sc
s to the Protein Engineering Club.
IWe are also hoping to mount our software at daresbury soon (as well as distribu
ting it more widely) and hope that that might become some sort of focus. Do you
run any sort of interactive bulletin board at Cambridge or is it all by mail to
identified recipients?

 For this year (1988) I am seconded to York and it is probably safer to mail me
 PMR@UK.AC.YORK.YORVIC

 Any comments would be welcome.

 Peter Murray-Rust
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating PARTIS."
$CREATE PARTIS.
$DECK
NAME:          Dr Mick Partis
ADDRESS:       Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Institute of
               Horticultural Research, Worthing Road
CITY:          Littlehampton
COUNTY:        W. Sussex. BN17 6LP.
COUNTRY:       U.K.
PHONE:         0903-716123
TELEX:         !
TELEFAX:       0903-726780
NETWORK        PARTIS @UK.AC.AFRC.GCRI
PROFESSION:    Biochemist
INTERESTS:     Protein & Nucleic acid Sequence Analysis.
               Plant Molecular Biology.
GENERAL:       This address can be used to contact my colleagues
               Dr B. Thomas and Dr B. Jordan.
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating SACCONE."
$CREATE SACCONE.
$DECK
NAME:           CECILIA SACCONE
ADDRESS:        DIPARTIMENTO DI BIOCHIMICA E BIOLOGIA MOLECOLARE
                UNIVERSITA' DI BARI, VIA AMENDOLA 165/A
                70126 BARI (ITALY)
CITY:           BARI
COUNTRY:        ITALY
PHONE:          (080)243303
TELEX:          810333 PHISBA I
TELEFAX:        (080)334938
NETWORK ID:     SACCONE@VAXBA0.INFNET
                EARN%IBOINFN::SACCONE%VAXBA0.INFNET (EARNET)
PROFESSION:     PROFESSOR IN MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
GENERAL:        MITOCHONDRIAL BIOGENESIS
                MOLECULAR EVOLUTION
                NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN DATABASE
                COMPUTER APPLICATION ON NUCLEIC ACID SEQUENCES
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating SHEPHERD."
$CREATE SHEPHERD.
$DECK
From: shepherd@ch.unibas.urz

                    John Shepherd,
                    Biozentrum,
                    Klingelbergstrasse 82,
                    4056 Basel,
                    Switzerland.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating SKIDMORE."
$CREATE SKIDMORE.
$DECK
NAME: Dr Christopher J. Skidmore
ADDRESS: Department of Physiology & Biochemistry
         University of Reading
         Whiteknights
         PO Box 228
         Reading RG6 2AJ
PHONE: 0734-875123 x 7667
TELEX: 847813 RULIB G
NETWORK ID: sasskidm@UK.AC.RDG.AM.CMS
CAREER: Interests: Gene expression in the mammary gland, RFLP and fingerprint
        analysis in animals, comparative chromosome mapping
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating TEMMINCK."
$CREATE TEMMINCK.
$DECK
NAME   : Bert Temminck
ADDRESS: Basel Institute for Immunology
         Grenzacherstr. 487
CITY   : CH-4005 BASEL
COUNTRY: SWITZERLAND
PHONE  : 061 - 492380
PROFESS: System Manager

NETWORK Id: BASEL@UTOROCI.BITNET

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating VIRDEN."
$CREATE VIRDEN.
NAME: Dr. Richard VIRDEN
COUNTRY: UK
PHONE: 091-232-8511
TELEX: 53654
TELEFAX 091-261-1182
NETWORK ID: Janet: BIA3@UK.AC.NCL.MTS
CAREER: Interests: Molecular enzymology.

$EOD

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (02/25/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    <HARPER@EARN.FINUH> 24-FEB-1988 10:50
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    LIFE SCIENTISTS

Via:           UK.AC.RL.EARN; Wed, 24 Feb 88 10:50:43 GMT
Date:          Wed, 24 Feb 88 12:48 O
From:          <HARPER@EARN.FINUH>
Subject:       LIFE SCIENTISTS
To:            seqnet@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

It seems that "life scientists" are really beginning to get organised
on the network. I offer the following note for your general information.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%EXTRACT%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Subject:      File from LifeSci: "INTRO HELPLSCI"

                             << LifeSci >>
                             Introduction

    LifeSci is short for 'The Life Science Research Server' and is a
dedicated computer program developed at the Rappaport Institute and
running on the main computer at Technion, Israel (RPRLSCI@TECHNION.BITNET).
   It's purpose is to enhance communication and research among people
in the life related fields (medicine, physiology, psychology, social
work etc..) who work far from each other and can benefit forming
international work groups and 'Think-Tank' with their colleagues.
  The audience LifeSci was written for know little about computers and
are too busy to learn, they want simple access without having to
bother with the internal works of the system.

                    General description
                    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

      o DIGEST server
        Digests are computerized magazines, they do not appear in paper
form but exist as electronic media. A group of people interested in a common
topic can create their own little paper, its as simple as saying 'CREATE
TOPIC ION-CHANNEL' and every one can do it. Create your own or join an
existing topic, a digest can have an editor or be an open forum.
Unlike its paper counterparts all digests are archived and indexed and can
be retrieved using simple search commands.
      o NAMES server
        To locate people from other places according to their name or
interest is one of the prime objectives. As you join, you will be asked to
fill up a registry form with your vital statistics, interests and area of
expertise.
      o APPLICATION server
        If you need a special computer program to do a special part of an
experiment, preform a special analysis or run laboratory equipment there is
a fair chance some one already written it or something similar elsewhere, so
why reinvent the wheel? LifeSci will not keep the programs themselves but
will keep record of computer applications developed elsewhere with
instructions on how to get them, whom to contact and what you need to use
it.
      o CONFERENCE server
        'Chatting' is the interactive sending and receiving of computer
messages, more then two people can chat using special relay machines.
Registered users of LifeSci will be able to hold conferences by calling
members of their TOPIC. The discussion of work group can be distributed as a
digest to the missing members.
      o BBOARD
        Just a small bulletin board to spread the word around, the BBoard
is a public clipboard to post messages of public interest.
   For more information, write me:
Electronicly -      RPR1ZAK@TECHNION.BITNET
Snail Mail -        Dr. Ami Zakai,
                    Rappaport Institute of research,
                    P.O.B. 9697               31096
                                             Israel
Facsimile -      -972-4-521296 attn Zakai
Sincerely yours,
      Ami Zakai

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/02/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    SYSTEM@UK.AC.BRISTOL.BSA 29-FEB-1988 15:34
To:    BIORELAY
Subj:

Date:        29-FEB-1988 15:37:12
From:        SYSTEM@UK.AC.BRISTOL.BSA
To:        BIORELAY@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

One of my collegues who has recently returned from the USA tells me
that congress have "agreed, in principal, to fund the human genome
sequencing project".   I would be most grateful if someone who
knows would let me have some hard information on this.  A reference to
an article in a journal would be nice.

Please reply to SYSTEM @ UK.AC.BRIS.BSA

Thanks.

Andrew Lyall
From: mjb1@uk.ac.cam.bio
To: SEQNET
Subject: Gel reading program for the MAC
Date: 27 Feb 1988

Does anyone know of a program for the Apple Macintosh to read
Sanger dideoxy DNA sequencing gel autoradiograms using a digitizer?
Please let me know if you do.  Are there any packages
for the Mac other than DNA Inspector and MacGene. Thanks.
                                           M.J.Bishop

MJB1@VMS-SUPP.CAM.AC.UK (03/05/88)

From: MJB1@VMS-SUPP.CAM.AC.UK

(Message number 9)    [ u ]
Accepted:  09:21:11 01 Mar 88
Submitted: 12:42:00 26 Feb 88
IPMessageId: <127:linder@urz.unibas.ch>
From: linder@ch.unibas.urz
To: MJB1@uk.ac.cambridge.phoenix
Subject: lys2-reference

          29 Feb 88 19:35 GMT
Return-Receipt-To: linder@urz.unibas.ch

Dear Martin,
here again the reference on LYS2: Fleig et al, Gene 46, 237-245, 1986.
Sincerely yours
Patrick Linder

From:    STOEHR@UK.AC.AFRC.ARCC  1-MAR-1988 16:23
To:    MJB1
Subj:    DNA software for MAC

Date:         1-MAR-1988 16:23:04 GMT
From:        STOEHR@UK.AC.AFRC.ARCC
To:        MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.BIO
Subject:    DNA software for MAC

Martin,
Something I was given but not folowed up yet is a list of a few programs
adapted for the MAC.
 MOLGENJR 1.2        DNA Analysis program
 DNAANALYZE 1.2        "    "    "
 t-RNA search programs
 punyEDIT 1.0        small editor for entering sequences
 THREEAlign 1.0         aligns 3 protein sequences
 FASTP 2.1
 RDF 2.1
 LIBPROT 2.1            extracts a file from protein database
 PIR Protein database.

I have merely copied this from an American MAC-orientated bulletin board
entry from Tom Maler (RIORDAN.MALER@BIONET-20.ARPA). He says that you can
get the progs from Dr Peter Markiewicz
                   Dept. of Viral Biology
                   USAMRIID
                   Ft. Detrick,
                   MD 21701
                   (301) 6637241

Peter Stoehr, AFRC Computing Centre

MJB1@VMS-SUPP.CAM.AC.UK (03/05/88)

From: MJB1@VMS-SUPP.CAM.AC.UK

From:    MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.BIO  5-MAR-1988 12:52
To:    MJB1
Subj:

Date:         5-MAR-1988 12:50:56 GMT
From:        MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.BIO
To:        MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.VMS-SUPP

From:    <GILBERT@EARN.MITWIBR>  1-MAR-1988 19:03
To:    MJB1
Subj:    Gel reading software for MAC

Via:           UK.AC.RL.EARN; Tue, 01 Mar 88 19:03:41 GMT
Date:          Tue, 1 Mar 88 12:38 EST
From:          <GILBERT@EARN.MITWIBR>
Subject:       Gel reading software for MAC
To:            mjb1@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

  IBI is getting ready to release it's MAC version of it's IBM software.
This should occur sometime this summer. I've seen a very beta copy and it
looks alot like the IBM PC "screen".

  There is a fellow working in MIT's Center for Cancer Research who is
working on a program to do cloning.  I'm not sure he's ready to release
his program and I'm not in a position to make his name public.

From:    SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.BIO  5-MAR-1988 12:55
To:    MJB1
Subj:

Date:         5-MAR-1988 12:54:12 GMT
From:        SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.BIO
To:        MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.VMS-SUPP

From:    SYSTEM@UK.AC.BRISTOL.BSA  1-MAR-1988 10:38
To:    SEQNET
Subj:

From:    DBO@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX  1-MAR-1988 12:26
To:    SEQNET
Subj:

Date:         1-MAR-1988 12:24:07 GMT
From:        DBO@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX
To:        SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

Re: Directory of email addresses of molecular biologists.

Picornavirus Research Group, Microbiology Dept., Univ. of Reading.

Postal Address:
        Department of Microbiology
        University of Reading
        London Road
        READING
        RG1 5AQ
        UK

Head of Dept. & Group Leader:
        Prof. J W Almond    JWA@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX
        RESEARCH INTERESTS    Molecular Virology, Picornaviruses,
                    Protein Engineering, Antigenicity, HIV
                    Microbial Pathogenisis, Vaccines

Other Members of Group:
        Dr. J D Cooper        CDJ_F@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX
                    Functions of 5' & 3' non-coding
                    regions of picornaviruses

        Dr. D J Evans        DJE_F@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX
                    Rhinoviruses, Protein Engineering

        Dr. O Jenkins        OWJ_F@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX
                    Coxsackieviruses, Enterovirus 70,
                    Protein Engineering

        Mr. D H Moon        MMM_F@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX
                    Protein Engineering, Polioviruses

        Mr. S R Pollard        XER_F@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX
                    Molecular basis of attenuation
                    in polio type 2

        Mr. J D Booth        DBO@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX
                    Enterovirus 70, Computers in
                    molecular biology

Other members of the group do not have individual email addresses.
If you are trying to contact any of the above and having problems then send
a message to DBO@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX  I monitor email much more frequently
than the others and am therefore able to reply and bring your message
to the intended recipient  more rapidly.

Dave Booth.

From:    SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.BIO  5-MAR-1988 12:57
To:    MJB1
Subj:

Date:         5-MAR-1988 12:55:46 GMT
From:        SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.BIO
To:        MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.VMS-SUPP

From:    Ware@UK.AC.AUCC (Georges Ware)  3-MAR-1988 14:52
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    for distribution

Date:  Thu, 3 Mar 88 14:51 GMT
From:  Ware@UK.AC.AUCC (Georges Ware)
Subject:  for distribution
To:  SEQNET@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.BIOLOGY

CHANGES TO 'BRUNEP' ELECTRONIC JOURNAL at BRISTOL

The new Bulletin Board, in the form of an electronic
journal at Bristol can now accept either FULL PAPERS or SUMMARIES
of recently published, or future, communications.

The Journal is open to receive contributions on any scientific subject.
Publication in the Journal is still FREE and submissions are urgently required.

The Journal is not a 'chat-show' but BRUNEP now provides facilities,
in the form of a 'forum', for more trivial comments and information exchange.

Contributions to the Journal, which cannot be entered directely by
the contributor, should be sent EITHER by electronic mail to:
BRUNEP at UK.AC.BRISTOL
OR, by post, as a plain-ASCII text file on
IBM-compatible 360Kb 5.25-inch floppy disc, to:
The Editor, BRUNEP, The Department of Microbiology,
The University of Bristol, BS8 1TD.  U.K.    (Telephone 272-303500)

Papers should preferably be in English, but papers in other European
languages may be submitted.

The Journal can be read, and users can participate in to the 'forum',
by simply logging-in to the Bristol Mainframe.

We are connected to the academic network JANET (UK.AC.BRISTOL.MULTICS)
and can also be reached from PSS using the JANET gateway address

23421920014869

followed by
.00006021000100

On connection to Multics the following 'banner' will be received.

Multics MR22.0: Avon Universities, Bristol (Channel c.h008)
Load = 38.4 out of 160.0 units: users = 34, 01/06/88  1345.6 gmt Wed

Users should then type

'login BRUNEP'         (the abreviation 'l BRUNEP' may also be used)
and respond to the password prompt with 'BRUNEP'.
(NOTE: 'BRUNEP' must be in upper-case on both occasions.)

No prior registration is necessary,
and USE OF THE JOURNAL IS FREE and SELF-EXPLANATORY.

PAPERS and/or SUMMARIES ARE STILL URGENTLY NEEDED TO GET THE JOURNAL GOING!
FURTHER DEATILS CAN BE OBTAINED BY LOGGING-IN TO THE JOURNAL.

MJB1@VMS-SUPP.CAM.AC.UK (03/05/88)

From: MJB1@VMS-SUPP.CAM.AC.UK

Here is a list of all entries received to date for the list of European
molecular biologists.  Please contribute if you have not already done so.
                                    Martin Bishop.

$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating ALEFOUNDER."
$CREATE ALEFOUNDER.
$DECK

(1) Electronic mail address: JANET       PRA1@CAM.PHX
                             EARN        PRA1%CAM.PHX@EARN.RL.AC.UK

(2) Name and postal address: Dr. P.R. Alefounder,
                             Department of Organic & Inorganic Chemistry,
                             University Chemical Laboratory,
                             Lensfield Road,
                             Cambridge CB2 1EW.

(3) Indication of interests: Molecular biology, computers.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating ASHBURNER."
$CREATE ASHBURNER.
$DECK

Michael Ashburner
Department of Genetics
University of Cambridge
Downing Street
Cambridge
England
Telephone 44-(0)223-333969
ma11@uk.ac.cam.phx
ashburner@arpa.bionet-20

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating BARCLAY."
$CREATE BARCLAY.
$DECK
From:    BARCLAY@UK.AC.OXFORD.VAX 19-JAN-1988 17:31
Dear Martin Bishop,
                Thank you for the mail and putting us on
the Bionet Seqnet and Biotech networks. THey look
as if they will be helpful.
                Congratulations on organising such
an interesting IUSC workshop in Cambridge.
           Yous Sincerely
              A. Neil Barclay
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating BEECHING."
$CREATE BEECHING.
$DECK

NAME:            John R. Beeching
ADDRESS:         Biological Sciences, University of Bath
CITY:            Bath BA2 7AY
COUNTRY:         UK
PHONE:           (0225) 826826 ext. 5193
TELEX:           44097 (UK)
NETWORK ID:      JANET: JB86@.UK.AC.CAM.PHX
PROFESSION:      Plant molecular biologist
INTERESTS:       Plant gene expression, RFLPs, plant tissue culture.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating BEYNON."
$CREATE BEYNON.
$DECK

SB06@UK.AC.LIV.IBM

Dr R J Beynon
Department of Biochemistry
University of Liverpool
PO Box 147
LIVERPOOL
L69 3BX
U.K.

Editor Computer Applications in the Biosciences
Mammalian proteases and cellular proteolytic processes
Protein metabolism in normal and abnormal muscle
Glycogen phosphorylase
Thaumatin ( a very, very sweet protein!!)
Apple Macintosh

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating BINGHAM."
$CREATE BINGHAM.
$DECK

Dr. Richard W. Bingham
Dept. of Veterinary Pathology
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
University of Edinburgh
Summerhall
Edinburgh EH9 1QH

email:  R.W.Bingham @ uk.ac.edinburgh
tel: 031-667 1011 Ext. 5281/5283
telex: 727442 (UNIVED G)
interests: molecular virology (particularly paramyxoviruses &
 papillomaviruses); computing

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating BISHOP."
$CREATE BISHOP.
$DECK

(1) MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
    MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.BIO
    MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.VMS-SUPP
(2) Martin John Bishop
   University of Cambridge,
   Computer Laboratory,
   New Museums Site,
   Pembroke Street,
   Cambridge CB2 3QG,
   UK.
(3) DNA and protein sequence analysis,
    Inference of evolutionary relationships from sequence data,
    Applications of computers in molecular biology

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating BLAIR."
$CREATE BLAIR.
$DECK
    BCH6GEB@UK.AC.LEEDS.CMS1
    BCH6GEB%LEEDS.CMS1@EARN.RL.AC.UK

    Dr G Eric Blair,  Department of Biochemistry,
       University of Leeds,  Leeds LS2 9JT, U.K.

    Interests: eukaryotic transcription
               transcription factors & their interaction with DNA
               oncogenic transformation of mammalian cells
               molecular biology of human adenoviruses
               myelin gene expression

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating BOOTH."
$CREATE BOOTH.
$DECK

[...]

$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating CASEY."
$CREATE CASEY.
$DECK

NAME        Rod Casey
ADDRESS        John Innes Institute, Colney Lane, Norwich,
        NR4 7HU, UK.
PHONE        (0603) 52571
TELEX        975122 JIINOR G
TELEFAX        (0603) 56844
NETWORK        CASEY@UK.AC.AFRC.JII
PROFESSION    Biochemist
CAREER        Variation in the structure and synthesis of proteins
GENERAL        Molecular genetics. Protein structure and synthesis,
        especially seed proteins, including storage proteins,
        lectins, trypsin inhibitors and lipoxygenases.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating CLAVERIE."
$CREATE CLAVERIE.
$DECK

NAME:          Jean-Michel Claverie
ADDRESS:       Computer Science Unit, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue Dr Roux
CITY:          75724 - PARIS, cedex 15.
COUNTRY:       FRANCE
PHONE:         (33)(1)45 68 85 10
TELEX:         250609F
TELEFAX:       (33)(1)43 06 98 35
NETWORK IDS:   JMC@PASTEUR
PROFESSION:    Head, Computer Science Unit, Institut Pasteur
CAREER:        General Biocomputing, sequence analysis, databank (PGtrans,
               PseqIP), molecular modelling, immunology, AIDS.
GENERAL:       Most active research: T-immunogenicity, AIDS, molecular modelling

HARWARE:       DATA GENERAL MV8000/10000, MicroVAXII, E&S PS390, PCs, MacInt.
LANGAGE:       FORTRAN77, C, PASCAL, ORACLE, INGRES.
SOFTWARE:      Complete Sequence Analysis (SASIP), Staden, PCgene, Lipman, ...
DATABANKS:     GenBank, EMBL, NBRF-PIR, PGtrans, PSD-Kyoto, Newat, PSeqIP,
               Swiss-Prot.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating COULSON."
$CREATE COULSON.
$DECK
NAME:          A.F.W.Coulson@uk.ac.edinburgh (JANET)
ADDRESS:       Dept of Molecular Biology, Univ of Edinburgh
CITY:          King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd,  Edinburgh EH9 3JR
COUNTY:        !                                                     !
COUNTRY:       United Kingdom
PHONE:         031 667 1081 Ext 2723
TELEX:         727442 (UNIVED G)
TELEFAX:       !                                                     !
NETWORK IDS:   a.coulson@uk.ac.edinburgh
PROFESSION:    Joint Director, Biocomputing Research Unit
CAREER:        Computing for molecular biology, protein engineering,
                beta-lactamases
GENERAL:       !                                                     !

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating DALGLEISH."
$CREATE DALGLEISH.
$DECK
From:    RAY@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX 19-JAN-1988 12:30
To:    MJB1
Subj:

Date:        19-JAN-1988 12:16:16 GMT
From:        RAY@UK.AC.LEICESTER.VAX
To:        mjb1@UK.AC.CAM.VMS-SUPP

Martin, I have tried to find out from our computer staff if it is possible to
use the new EMBL file server from Leicester. They say not since JANET uses an
X.25 protocol that is incompatible with the requirements of the process. What
do you suggest for those of us who are not hard-wired to EARN.
Cheers, Raymond Dalgleish.
PS please add me to the list of people who wanted to keep in touch following
the meeting the other week. Details:-
Dr.Raymond Dalgleish,
Department of Genetics,
University of Leicester,
University Road,
Leicester LE1 7RH, U.K.
Tel 44 (0533) 523425
E-mail ray@uk.ac.le.vax

Interests:- Inherited human connective tissue disorders including Marfan
syndrome, osteogenesis imperfecta and the Ehlers-Danlos syndromes. I am co-
manager of the Molecular Biology Users Group (MBUG) on the VAX at Leicester.
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating DESSIN."
$CREATE DESSIN.
$DECK

Name:        Phillipe Dessen
Address:    Laboratoire de Biochemie, Ecole Polytechnique
City:        91128 PALAISEAU Cedex
Country:    France
Phone:        69 41 82 00 x2841
Network:    frors31@earn.ubch000
Interests:    Biochemistry of the aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases:
        structure, function and regulation.
        DNA and protein sequence analysis, databanks.

$EOD
From: doelz@ch.unibas.urz
Dr. Reinhard Doelz
Biophysics Department - Biocomputing
BIOZENTRUM
Klingelbergstr. 70
CH-4056 BASEL
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating ELDER."
$CREATE ELDER.
$DECK

NAME:          JK Elder
ADDRESS:       Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford
CITY:          Oxford  OX1 3QU
COUNTRY:       UK
PHONE:         +44-(0)865-275228
TELEX:         83681 (UK)
NETWORK IDS:   JANET: elder@uk.ac.ox.vax
               EARN:  elder%ox.vax@earn.rl.ac.uk
GENERAL:       Automatic construction of restriction maps
               Automatic sequencing
               Image processing
               Molecular biology software which runs on Suns and/or under UNIX
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating EMMERSON."
$CREATE EMMERSON.
$DECK

NAME: Prof. Peter T. Emmerson
ADDRESS: Dept. Biochemistry, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
CITY: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH
COUNTY: Tyne and Wear
COUNTRY: UK
PHONE: 091-232-8511
TELEX: 53654
TELEFAX 091-261-1182
NETWORK ID: Janet: BIB3@UK.AC.NCL.MTS
CAREER: Interests: DNA repair. Genetic recombination. Molecular biology of
paramyxoviruses.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating EVANS."
$CREATE EVANS.
$DECK

Dear Dr Bishop,  I am interested in keeping in touch with the development
of molecular biology computing, although I am not active in this area.  My
interest stems from running the scientific side of Cray X-MP support at RAL
and I would like to help in the use of supercomputers wherever appropriate.
The information requested in your note is:
(1)  RGE@UK.AC.RL.IB
(2)  Dr R G Evans, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
                   Chilton, Didcot  OX11 0QX  tel 0235 21900ext5656
(3)  Interested in new and developing areas of supercomputer applications.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating FARRALL."
$CREATE FARRALL.
$DECK

Martin Farrall
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
St. Mary's Hospital Medical School
Norfolk Place
London  W2 1PG
(01) 723 1252

rkbc110@uk.ac.lon.smhms.ux

Molecular genetics of cystic fibrosis
DNA/protein sequence analysis
Computational methods in human genetic linkage analysis

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HAMES."
$CREATE HAMES.
$DECK

In connection with SEQNET bulletin no.52,  8.1.88
herewith 1 more name for inclusion in Mol. Biol. interest list:

    DRBDH@UK.AC.LEEDS.BIOVAX
    DRBDH%LEEDS.BIOVAX@UK.AC.RL.EARN

    Dr B David Hames,  Department of Biochemistry,  University of Leeds,
       Leeds LS2 9JT, U.K.

    Interests: eukaryotic transcription
               molecular biology of development
               homeobox gene function in vertebrates
               Dictyostelium
               -------------
               Xenopus
               -------

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HARPER."
$CREATE HARPER.
$DECK

NAME:          Robert Harper (HARPER@finfun FINLAND)
ADDRESS:       University of Helsinki, Department of Microbiology
CITY:          SF-00710 HELSINKI 71
COUNTY:         ---------------------------
COUNTRY:       FINLAND
PHONE:         +358 0 378011/466 (work) 308627 (home)
TELEX:         124 690 UNIH SF  (FINLAND)
TELEFAX:       374 1520
NETWORK IDS:   HARPER@finfun
PROFESSION:    Microbiologist (Lactobacillus research and fermentation)
CAREER:        Biotechnology  and Information Technology.
GENERAL:       Sleeping, Gardening, Public Domain software.
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HARWOOD."
$CREATE HARWOOD.
$DECK

NAME: Dr. Colin R. Harwood
ADDRESS: Dept. Microbiology, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
CITY: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH
COUNTY: Tyne and Wear
COUNTRY: UK
PHONE: 091-232-8511
TELEX: 53654
TELEFAX 091-261-1182
NETWORK ID: Janet: mma4@UK.AC.NCL.MTS
CAREER: Interests: Gene expression and protein export in gram positive
bacteria.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HECKELS."
$CREATE HECKELS.
$DECK

FROM:-   DR. J.E.HECKELS
         DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY
         UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON MEDICAL SCHOOL
         EMAIL:- FMI019@SOTON.IBM

    DEAR Dr. Bishop,
         I have read with interest recent articles in Binary concerning
the Seqnet bulletin board for molecular biologists. In this department
myself and several collegues are involved in cloning and sequencing the
surface proteins of a number of pathogenic bacteria and viruses. I feel
that we are not yet making fullest use of data and programmes which may
be available elsewhere. I would therefore be grateful if it were possible
for me to recieve the information on the seqnet bulletin board.
    I have also seen in Binary a list of molecular biology programmes
which are available for PCs and I would be grateful for any further
information if this has been updated recently.

    Thank you in advance for your help.
           Yours sincerely
             John Heckels
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HERRIES."
$CREATE HERRIES.
$DECK

    BCH6DGH@UK.AC.LEEDS.CMS1
    BCH6DGH%LEEDS.CMS1@EARN.RL.AC.UK

    Dr David G Herries,  Department of Biochemistry,  University of Leeds,
       Leeds LS2 9JT, U.K.

    Interests: computer applications in biochemistry

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HIGGINS."
$CREATE HIGGINS.
$DECK

NAME:            DESMOND HIGGINS
ADDRESS:         TRINITY COLLEGE, DUBLIN 2. DEPARTMENT OF GENETICS
CITY:            DUBLIN
COUNTRY:         IRELAND
PHONE:           +353 1 772941 /1969
TELEX:           93782 TCD EI (IRELAND)
TELEFAX:         772694
NETWORK ID:      D.HIGGINS@IRL.HEA.TCD.DEC20
PROFESSION:      RESEARCH FELLOW
GENERAL:         DNA/PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS AND DATABASES,
                 EVOLUTION, INSECT TAXONOMY.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HOLBROOK."
$CREATE HOLBROOK.
$DECK

1. JANET:        HOLBROOK@UK.AC.BRISTOL.BSA

2. Dr J. John HOLBROOK,
   Department of Biochemistry,
   University of Bristol Medical School,
   BRISTOL BS8 1TD,
   U.K.

3. Protein, especially redox enzyme, design and construction.

4. It would help if the one of my long term collabroators
   were also included, with an otherwise analogous entry:
   Dr. A.R. CLARKE:    CLARKEAR@UK.AC.BRISTOL.BSA

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HOLMES."
$CREATE HOLMES.
$DECK

NAME:            EDDIE HOLMES
ADDRESS:         DEPT. OF ZOOLOGY, UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE, DOWNING STREET,
                 CAMBRIDGE, CB2 3EJ.
COUNTRY:         UK
PHONE:           0223-336650
NETWORK ID:      EH102@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
PROFESSION:      LOWLY RESEARCH STUDENT
RESEARCH         MOLECULAR EVOLUTION, MAMMALIAN EVOLUTION, PROBABILISTIC
INTERESTS:       MODELLING, CLASSIFICATION, PROSIMIANS.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating HUGHES."
$CREATE HUGHES.
$DECK

NAME: Dr. Monica Hughes
ADDRESS: Dept. Genetics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
CITY: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH
COUNTY: Tyne and Wear
COUNTRY: UK
PHONE: 091-232-8511
TELEX: 53654
TELEFAX 091-261-1182
NETWORK ID: Janet: mma4@UK.AC.NCL.MTS
CAREER: Interests: Higher plant molecular genetics, stress responses, cyanide
metabolism.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating JACKMAN."
$CREATE JACKMAN.
$DECK

Jackman@UK.AC.AFRC.FRIN
Dialcom 42:CDT0013

Dr.Peter J.H.Jackman
National Collection of Yeast Cultures,
AFRC Inst of Food Research,
Colney Lane,
Norwich, NR4 7UA
Norfolk,
UK

Curator National Collection of Yeast Cultures &  National Collection of Food
Bacteria.
Member committee Society for General Microbiology Computer Club,
Member committee Microbial Strain Data Network
interests molecular systematics,computing in microbiology,strain databases

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating KELL."
$CREATE KELL.
$DECK

From: DBK@UK.AC.ABERYSTWYTH
biological bboard services, and this will continue pro tem. When my
colleague sget more into it they will doubtless join directly.
However, please keep me on the list for SEQNET info.
(1) DBK@ABER.V
(2) Dr Douglas B. Kell, Dept of BOtany & Microbiology, University
College of Wales, ABERYSTWYTH, Dyfed SY23 3DA.
(3) Interests: keeping abreast with everything relevant in mol.
biol., but especially protein behaviour and use of micro's to
understand it.
Best wishes for 1988!

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating KNEALE."
$CREATE KNEALE.
$DECK

Please include me in your list of molecular biology network users:
    Dr Geoff Kneale
      Biophysics Laboratories
       Portsmouth Polytechnic
        Portsmouth  PO1 2DT

      GGK1@PORTSMOUTH.CSOVAX

AREAS OF INTEREST:  DNA binding proteins, Protein Engineering, Filamentous
                    Bacteriophage, Biophysics (Spectroscopy and Diffraction).

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating LLOYD."
$CREATE LLOYD.
$DECK
From:    Andrew_T_Lloyd @ UK.AC.NEWCASTLE 20-JAN-1988 11:35
Greetings,
Can you put me on your mailing list for
SEQNET and all that Mol Biol chitchat
that I currently get via Julie Glanville
in Microbiology Newcastle?  I guess my
address will get appended by our computer
Regards, Andrew T. Lloyd, Genetics,
Newcastle.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating MCFERRAN."
$CREATE MCFERRAN.
$DECK

Here is my E-Mail address at Queen's, for the list of European Mol. Biols.:

       ABJA1248@UK.AC.QUEENS-BELFAST.CENTRE.VAX

sorry it seems a bit of a mouthfull, the postal one isn't much better:

        Dr. N.V.McFerran
         Department of Biochemistry
         The Queen's University of Belfast
         Medical Biology Centre
         97 Lisburn Rd.
         BELFAST  BT9 7BL
         N. Ireland.

Interests include struct/fn relationships in proteins, notably proteases
          & dehydrogenases, image analysis applications & lab automation.

Many thanks for the organisational effort last week, all the best for '88.

Neil McFerran.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating MELVIN."
$CREATE MELVIN.
$DECK
*name Melvin,W.T.

With reference to your message of 8 Jan;
Electronic mail address           W.T.MELVIN@UK.AC.ABDN
Postal address                  Dr W.T. Melvin
                                Dept. of Biochemistry
                                University of Aberdeen
                                Marischal College
                                Aberdeen, AB9 1AS
                                U.K.
Tel No.                 0224 273110

Interests               Molecular biology of cytochrome P450
                        and DNA polymerase alpha

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating MILANESI."
$CREATE MILANESI.
$DECK

(1) MILANESI@ICILVX.INFNET
(2) LUCIANO MILANESI
    Istituto di Tecnologie Biomediche
    Avanzate
    C.N.R.
    Via Ampere 56
    20133 - MILANO (ITALY)
(3) Nucleic acid and protein database
    Computer application on nucleic acid sequences

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating MILLNER."
$CREATE MILLNER.
$DECK

    BCH6PAM@UK.AC.LEEDS.CMS1
    BCH6PAM%LEEDS.CMS1@EARN.RL.AC.UK

    Dr PauL A Millner,  Department of Biochemistry,  University of Leeds,
       Leeds LS2 9JT, U.K.

    Interests: signal transducing proteins
               plant molecular biology

[...]

$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating PFEIFFER."
$CREATE PFEIFFER.
$DECK

The members of the MIPS protein sequence database would like to participate in
the European electronic mailing address list:
MIPS postal address is:
MIPS (Martinsried Institute for Protein Sequence Data)
Max-Planck-Institute for Biochemistry
Am Klopferspitz 18
D-8033 Martinsried
FRG
Current members are:
Dr. Friedhelm Pfeiffer
Dr. Hans Werner Mewes
Electronic Mailing addresses are:
MIPS@dm0mbp51.BitNet     sequence submission and general information
Pfeiffer@dm0mpb51.BitNet personal messages, VecBase, restriction enzymes
Mewes@dm0mpb51.BitNet    personal messages
MIPS interest:
MIPS is a protein sequence database that will collect and distribute protein
sequences within the frame of a protein sequence database consortium. The
three current members are
   MIPS  at Max-Planck-Inst. Biochemie,   Martinsried, FRG,   in Europe
   PIR   at MBRF (Nat. Biomed. Res. F.),  Washington,  USA,   in America
   JIPID at Science University,           Tokyo,       Japan, in Asia
The members of this consortium will prepare one common sequence data set. This
will be an extension of the current PIR protein sequence database. Data
submission and comments via electronic mailing are highly recommended.
Please send SeqNet mail to user "MIPS" in the future and discontinue sending
to "PFEIFFER" and "MEWES".
Yours sincerely
                 Friedhelm Pfeiffer

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating SACCONE."
$CREATE SACCONE.
$DECK
NAME:           CECILIA SACCONE
ADDRESS:        DIPARTIMENTO DI BIOCHIMICA E BIOLOGIA MOLECOLARE
                UNIVERSITA' DI BARI, VIA AMENDOLA 165/A
                70126 BARI (ITALY)
CITY:           BARI
COUNTRY:        ITALY
PHONE:          (080)243303
TELEX:          810333 PHISBA I
TELEFAX:        (080)334938
NETWORK ID:     SACCONE@VAXBA0.INFNET
                EARN%IBOINFN::SACCONE%VAXBA0.INFNET (EARNET)
PROFESSION:     PROFESSOR IN MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
GENERAL:        MITOCHONDRIAL BIOGENESIS
                MOLECULAR EVOLUTION
                NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN DATABASE
                COMPUTER APPLICATION ON NUCLEIC ACID SEQUENCES
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating SHARP."
$CREATE SHARP.
$DECK

NAME:            PAUL SHARP
ADDRESS:         TRINITY COLLEGE, DUBLIN 2.  DEPARTMENT OF GENETICS
CITY:            DUBLIN
COUNTRY:         IRELAND
PHONE:           +353 1 772941 /1035
TELEX:           93782 TCD EI (IRELAND)
TELEFAX:         772694
NETWORK ID:      P.SHARP@IRL.HEA.TCD.DEC20
PROFESSION:      LECTURER IN GENETICS
GENERAL:         DNA SEQUENCE ANALYSIS, MOLECULAR EVOLUTION,
                 CODON USAGE, HIV, YEAST, BACILLUS, UBIQUITIN.

From: shepherd@ch.unibas.urz

                    John Shepherd,
                    Biozentrum,
                    Klingelbergstrasse 82,
                    4056 Basel,
                    Switzerland.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating SKIDMORE."
$CREATE SKIDMORE.
$DECK
NAME: Dr Christopher J. Skidmore
ADDRESS: Department of Physiology & Biochemistry
         University of Reading
         Whiteknights
         PO Box 228
         Reading RG6 2AJ
PHONE: 0734-875123 x 7667
TELEX: 847813 RULIB G
NETWORK ID: sasskidm@UK.AC.RDG.AM.CMS
CAREER: Interests: Gene expression in the mammary gland, RFLP and fingerprint
        analysis in animals, comparative chromosome mapping
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating STOEHR."
$CREATE STOEHR.
$DECK
From: STOEHR@UK.AC.AFRC.ARCC
To: SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.PHX

I would like to participate in the great European database in the sky.

(1) STOEHR @UK.AC.AFRC.ARCC
(2) Peter J. Stoehr
    Applications Development
    AFRC Computing Centre
    West Common
    Harpenden
    Hertfordshire AL5 2JE
    Tel. 05827-62271
(3) Computing Service/Support for Molecular Biology

also
 (1) OWEN @UK.AC.AFRC.ARCB     (note B)
 (2) Dr John Owen
     (same address)
 (3) Computing Service/Support for Graphics, Molecular modelling

Peter J Stoehr

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating SUMMERS."
$CREATE SUMMERS.
$DECK
*name Summers,D.K.
I would like to participate in the European Directory.

My address:     DKS11@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
                David K. Summers
                Dept of Genetics
                Cambridge University
                Downing St
                Cambridge CB2 3EH

Interests:      Molecular biology of E. coli plasmids
                Site specific recombination
                DNA bending

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating SUSSMAN."
$CREATE SUSSMAN.
$DECK
*name Sussman,J.

Prof. Joel L. Sussman
Dept. of Structural Chemistry
Weizmann Institute of Science
Rehovot 76100  ISRAEL

CSJOEL@WEIZMANN   (Bitnet)

telephone 972-8-482638  or 972-8-483361

interest:

X-ray crystallography of DNA & Proteins
Cryogenic X-ray crystallography of Proteins & DNA
Protein & DNA model building & refinement
Structural studies of halophilic proteins

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating TEMMINCK."
$CREATE TEMMINCK.
$DECK
NAME   : Bert Temminck
ADDRESS: Basel Institute for Immunology
         Grenzacherstr. 487
CITY   : CH-4005 BASEL
COUNTRY: SWITZERLAND
PHONE  : 061 - 492380
PROFESS: System Manager

NETWORK Id: BASEL@UTOROCI.BITNET

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating TOUZEL."
$CREATE TOUZEL.
$DECK

   I would like to participate and to enter your mail list.

Electronic mail address : Touzel at FRINRA72 (EARN)
Name : Jean Pierre TOUZEL
Postal address : INRA, Station de Technologie Alimentaire,
                 B.P. 39,
                 F-59651 Villeneuve d'Ascq Cedex (France)
Interests : Methane bacteria, Formate dehydrogenase cloning

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating VANLEUVEN."
$CREATE VANLEUVEN.
$DECK
PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED ON ANY DEVELOPMENTS I,N THE FIELD OF MOLECULAR
BIOLOGY.MY POSTAL ADDRESS IS
             FRED VAN LEUVEN
             DEPT OF HUMAN GENETICS -UNIV OF LEUVEN
             GASTHUISBERG ON6
             B3000 LEUVEN BELGIUM.
Acknowledge-To: <FRED@BLEKUL13>
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating VANORMONDT."
$CREATE VANORMONDT.
$DECK

NAME:          Hans van Ormondt(EARN WMBORMOND@HLERUL52)
ADDRESS:       Sylvius Laboratories, Univ. of Leiden, P.O.Box 9503
CITY:          2300 RA Leiden
COUNTY:
COUNTRY:       The Netherlands
PHONE:         31 71 276034
TELEX:
TELEFAX:       31 71 276292
NETWORK IDS:   EARN
PROFESSION:    Biochemist
CAREER:        Gene therapy; DNA software
GENERAL:       AtariST

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating VIRDEN."
$CREATE VIRDEN.
$DECK
NAME: Dr. Richard VIRDEN
COUNTRY: UK
PHONE: 091-232-8511
TELEX: 53654
TELEFAX 091-261-1182
NETWORK ID: Janet: BIA3@UK.AC.NCL.MTS
CAREER: Interests: Molecular enzymology.

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating WETHERILL."
$CREATE WETHERILL.
$DECK
I would like to remain on the SEQNET mailing list.
electronic mail address :-  sta019  @ uk.ac.afrc.sass
        Graham Wetherill,
         Scottish Agricultural Statistics Service,
          King's Buildings, Mayfield Road,
           Edinburgh, UK,  EH9 3JZ
TEL: 031-667 1081 ext 2921   TELEX: 727442 (UNIVED G)   FAX: 031-667 7938
my initerests are in Statistical and computing support and related research.
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating WINKLER."
$CREATE WINKLER.
$DECK
From: A8451DAB@EARN.AWIUNI11

The yeast molecular genetics group at the Department of general
biochemistry at the University of Vienna is interested in participating
in your interest group. We are mainly working on the regulation of
expression of catalase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. We do this by studying
effects on expression of mutations in the promoter region of catalase T
A second group in our lab is characterizing and purifying proteins that bind
to the upstream promoter region of catalase T.

My name is Hans Winkler and I am responsible for E-mail in our lab. The head
of our group and also head of the department in Prof. Dr. Helmut Ruis. Our

Inst. f. allgemeine Biochemie, Waehringerstr. 38, A-1090 Wien. Austria.

Our E-mail address is:   A8451DAB at AWIUNI11

                       Regards, Hans Winkler

$EOD

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/10/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    A.F.W.Coulson @ uk.ac.edinburgh  9-MAR-1988 13:51
Date: 09 Mar 88  13:51:22 gmt
Subject: Could you please.....
.....  distribute the following notice via SEQNET? Thanks.    Andrew.

                COMPUTER APPLICATIONS FOR BIOTECHNOLOGY

A one day course on Computer Applications for Biotechnology will be held
in the William Robertson Building, University of Edinburgh, George Square,
Edinburgh on Wednesday 6th April 1988.

                              Programme

Protein Sequence Analysis               A.F.W.Coulson (University of Edinburgh)
Nucleic Acid Sequence Analysis          J.F.Collins (University of Edinburgh)
Molecular Modelling                     P.Murray-Rust (Glaxo Group Research)
Molecular Mechanics                     D.Osguthorpe (University of Bath)
NMR of Proteins                         A.J.Wilkinson (ICI)
Epitope Prediction                      B.Robson (University of Manchester)

                            Registration

The course fee of #25 (#10 for registered postgraduate students) includes
a set of Course Notes, lunch, coffee and tea.  Registrations for the course
(enclosing a cheque payable to 'Heriot-Watt University') should be sent to
Prof. C.M.Brown, Dept of Biological Sciences, Heriot-Watt University, Chambers
Street, Edinburgh   EH1 1HX.

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/10/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    SJ@UK.AC.CAM.MRC-LMB  9-MAR-1988 16:36
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    Martin, could you please put this out via SEQNET? Thanks. Steve.

Date:         9-MAR-1988 16:34:08
From:        SJ@UK.AC.CAM.MRC-LMB
To:        SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.BIO
Subject:    Martin, could you please put this out via SEQNET? Thanks. Steve.

    Does anyone know of, (or better still have) sequence manipulation
and/or analysis software that runs on a SUN ( or UNIX machines generally).
Public domain would be ideal but it would be nice to have people's views
of commercial products too. Thanks in advance.

            Steve Jones.

Molecular Genetics Unit,
Laboratory of Molecular Biology.
Hills Road.
Cambridge.
CB2 2QH
ENGLAND.

(0)223 248011 ex 300

E-mail SJ@UK.AC.CAM.MRC-LMB

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/11/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 88 18:35:46 MST
From: cb@intron.LANL.GOV (Christian Burks)
To: BIORELAY@bio.cam.ac.uk
Subject: Re:  SEQNET Bulletin RELAY ONLY: reply to SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.BIO
Cc: cb

Sun analysis software...

Try Prophet II from BBN
    some (or all???) of the IntelliGenetics software
    Charlie Lawrences "Eugene" package
    Hugo Martinez's package (he's at UCSF)

- cb

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/15/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating JONES_STEVE."
$CREATE JONES_STEVE.
$DECK

NAME:          !Steve Jones (SJ@UK.AC.CAM.MRC-LMB)                   !
ADDRESS:       !Molecular Genetics Unit, Medical Research Council    !
CITY:          !Hills Road. CAMBRIDGE                                !
COUNTY:        !                                                     !
COUNTRY:       !ENGLAND                                              !
PHONE:         !+223 248011 ex 300                                   !
TELEX:         !81532                                                !
TELEFAX:       !+223 213556                                          !
NETWORK IDS:   !SJ@UK.AC.CAM.MRC-LMB                                 !
PROFESSION:    !Molecular biologist                                  !
CAREER         !Genome mapping. Molecular biology applied to         !
GENERAL:       !reproductive biology.                                !

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating STADEN."
$CREATE STADEN.
$DECK

NAME:          !Rodger Staden                                        !
ADDRESS:       !MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology                  !
CITY:          !Hills Road. CAMBRIDGE  CB2 2QH                       !
COUNTY:        !                                                     !
COUNTRY:       !ENGLAND                                              !
PHONE:         !0223 248011                                          !
TELEX:         !81532                                                !
TELEFAX:       !0223 213556                                          !
NETWORK IDS:   !RS@UK.AC.CAM.MRC-LMB                                 !
PROFESSION:    !Molecular biologist                                  !
INTERESTS:     !Development of computer methods for handling and     !
INTERESTS:     !analysing nucleic acid and protein sequences         !

$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating WALMSLEY."
$CREATE WALMSLEY.
$DECK

HELLO, I'm a European Molecular Biologist, and would be happy to be
included in your directory;
EMAIL  ymumrm@uk.ac.umist
Address Richard M Walmsley
  Dept Biochem. and Applied Molecular Biology
  UMIST
  PO Box88
  Manchester M60 1QD
  061 236 3311 ex 2172
Interests     Yeast Molecular Biology - Telomeres, Z-DNA, Cell Cycle.

I look forward to hearing from you details of the distribution and use
of your directory

Cheers,
Richard.
$EOD
$WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Creating ZORN."
$CREATE ZORN.
$DECK

I send some addresses to the Address list of European Molecular
Biologists.

1. Electronic Billboard and Service Machine
gives access to EMBL/PIR/SWISSPROT sequence data libs; a library for
biochemical literature BIOLIT, a growing program library and an
electronic billboard receiving the bulletins from BIONET/BIOTECH/SEQNET
and from a local Vienna Billboard.
The best address to contact anyone in VIENNA / AUSTRIA.
Email: A5161DAE@AWIUNI11.EARN
Biological Information Online services

2.
Manfred ZORN, MSc.
Institute of Biochemistry, University Vienna
Waehringer Str. 17
A-1090 Vienna / AUSTRIA
phone: ++43 222 436141 56
email: A5161DAB@AWIUNI11.EARN
Interests: Structure prediction, molecular biology of picornaviruses,
responisible for computer applications in our lab.

3.
Klaus HARTMUTH, MSc.
Institute of Biochemistry, University Vienna
Waehringer Str. 17
A-1090 Vienna / AUSTRIA
phone: ++43 222 436141 56
email: A5161DAD@AWIUNI11.EARN
Interests: Splicing, splicing, splicing, ......
responisible for computer applications in our lab.

4.
Dieter BLAAS, PhD.
Institute of Biochemistry, University Vienna
Waehringer Str. 17
A-1090 Vienna / AUSTRIA
phone: ++43 222 436141 54
email: A5161DAA@AWIUNI11.EARN
Interests: Molecular biology and immunology of picornaviruses (rhino)

$EOD

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/17/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    UBCH000@EARN.FRORS31 16-MAR-1988 13:12
For distribution as a SEQNET Bulletin.
=
INFORMATION ON B.I.S.A.N.C.E
=
B.I.S.A.N.C.E. is a french project allowing access (via TRANSPAC network)
to the  nucleotide and protein sequence databases. It is located at CITI2,
a computer center which was chosen by the French Ministry of Research
as a national host in this field. The 3 on line databases (EMBL, GENBANK,
NBRF-PIR) are structurated with ACNUC, a database structure and retrieval
software, that allows sequence retrieval on a multi-criterion basis.
Moreover, due to the ACNUC structure, access to sub-sequences that code for
a specific product (protein, tRNA,..) is provided. On this basis, all
sub-sequences coding for proteins in Genbank era obtained directly in
protein code (GENPRO database).
=
Access to more than 130 programs are menu driven (1 main menu and 11
secondary menus):
databases retrieval, sequence editing, shotgun method, statistical analysis,
prediction of secondary nucleic or protein secondary structures, similarities
between sequences, restriction mapping, translation, rapid search in
databases, immediat access to exact string in database sequences, phylogeny..
=
Access to the Protein data bank and to a bibliographic database of more than
90000 entries (summaries of 75 journals since 1985) complete the project.
The service is operational since 1984. Actually, more than 210 academic or
industrial groups are daily working on the system, installed on the DPS8
Honeywell-Bull computer at the CITI2 center. Unfortunally, there is not yet
an EARN node on this computer.
=
For more information or connection, please contact : Claude MUGNIER, CITI2,
45 rue des Saints-Peres, 75270 PARIS Cedex 06, France.
or Philippe DESSEN , Laboratoire de Biochimie, Ecole Polytechnique,
91128 PALAISEAU, France (EARN adress : UBCH000@FRORS31).

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/20/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From: BIBB@UK.AC.AFRC.JII
To: SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.PHX

FOR INCLUSION IN THE NETWORK ADDRESS LIST OF MOLECULAR BIOLOGISTS:

NAME:          MERVYN BIBB
ADDRESS:       JOHN INNES INSTITUTE AND AFRC INSTITUTE OF PLANT SCIENCE RESEARCH
               COLNEY LANE
CITY:          NORWICH NR4 7UH
COUNTY:        NORFOLK
COUNTRY:       ENGLAND
PHONE:         44 (0)603 52571
TELEX:         975122 (JIINOR G)
TELEFAX:       44 (0)603 56844
NETWORK IDS:   USER NAME: BIBB
               ADDRESS:   UK.AC.AFRC.JII
PROFESSION:    MICROBIAL GENETICIST/MOLECULAR BIOLOGIST
CAREER:        MOLECULAR GENETICS OF STREPTOMYCES
               RNA POLYMERASE AND SIGMA FACTOR HETEROGENEITY
               REGULATION OF GENE EXPRESSION
               REGULATION OF ANTIBIOTIC BIOSYNTHESIS

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/25/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    "DANA M. FOWLKES" <DMF@EARN.UNCVAX1> 24-MAR-1988 20:46
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    Seqnet bulletins

Via:      UK.AC.RL.EARN; Thu, 24 Mar 88 20:45:25 GMT
Date:     Thu, 24 Mar 88 14:10 EST
From:     "DANA M. FOWLKES" <DMF@EARN.UNCVAX1>
Subject:  Seqnet bulletins
To:       seqnet@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

Hi,

We have just set up a VAX to handle software, databases and communications
for Molecular Biologists, Molecular Geneticists and Biotechnologists.

We get bulletins form Biotech server, but I would like to subscribe
directly to you bulletins if that is possilbe.

We would then re-distribute them to the Univ. of North Carolina local
interest groups.

Please let me know if this is possilbe.

Sincerely yours,
Dana M. Fowlkes
CB#7525
Univ. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7625

dmf@uncvax1.bitnet
Reply:
Dana,
To avoid unnecessary transatlantic traffic there is a reciprocal
relationship with BIONET.  SEQNET distributes BIONET bulletins in
Europe and BIONET distributes SEQNET bulletins in North America.
I have forwarded to request to Dave Kristofferson at BIONET.
                                   Yours, Martin Bishop.

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/28/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    Julie_Glanville @ UK.AC.NEWCASTLE 25-MAR-1988 15:53
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    Protein synthesis expert systems

Date:     Fri, 25 Mar 88 15:52:43 GMT
From:     Julie_Glanville @ UK.AC.NEWCASTLE
To:       seqnet @ UK.AC.CAM.BIO
Subject:  Protein synthesis expert systems

I am trying to find out what expert systems are available in
the field of protein synthesis. I would be grateful for any
information.

Thanks
Julie Glanville
Microbiology Dept.,
University of Newcastle upon Tyne,
Framlington Place,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE2 4HH, UK

email: mma4@uk.ac.ncl.mts

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (03/31/88)

From: BIORELAY%BIO.CAM.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

From:    SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.PHX 31-MAR-1988 09:19
To:    BIORELAY
Subj:

Date: Thu, 31 Mar 88 09:18:30 BST
From: SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
To:   biorelay@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

(Message number 7)    [ u ]
Accepted:  09:16:56 31 Mar 88
Submitted: 19:41:00 25 Mar 88
IPMessageId: -unspecified-
From: ECOLEEB@EARN.FINFUN
To: seqnet@UK.AC.CAM.PHX

Via:           UK.AC.RL.EARN; Fri, 25 Mar 88 17:40:15 GMT

I'll subscribe the BIO-MATRIX
==============
(Message number 14)    [ u ]
Accepted:  09:17:01 31 Mar 88
Submitted: 11:48:00 30 Mar 88
IPMessageId: -unspecified-
From: PFEIFFER@EARN.DM0MPB51
To: SEQNET@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.PHOENIX
Subject: Position available for system manager/ programmer

Via:           UK.AC.RL.EARN; Wed, 30 Mar 88 10:50:44 BST

                                                  30-MAR-1988
Position available:
The MIPS (Martinsried Institute for Protein Sequence Data) has an open
position for a system manager/programmer. We collect and process protein
sequence data in a tight cooperation with PIR at NBRF in Washington and
JIPID in Japan. Our current system is a local area VAX cluster with a
MicroVAX II and a number of workstations. This system will be extended.
VAX/VMS experience is required. Applicants should have a sound knowledge
of system management and network software (EARN, X25, PSI) to establish
on-line services. Knowledge of sequence data analysis software (e.g. PIR,
UWGCG) is highly desirable.

The position is for 4 1/2 years with the possibility of renewal. It is
immediatly available. The salary is about 50.000 DM/year (before taxes
and insurances).

Written applications should be send to MIPS.
H.W. Mewes and F. Pfeiffer
MIPS    am
Max-Planck-Institut f. Biochemie
Am Klopferspitz 18
D-8033 Martinsried bei Muenchen
FRG
MIPS@dm0mpb51.Bitnet

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (04/05/88)

From: BIORELAY%BIO.CAM.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

From:    Paul Andrews <CABELL.ANDREWS@arpa.bionet-20>  4-APR-1988 15:50
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    To Douglas Kell/University College,Wales

Date: Mon 4 Apr 88 07:35:54-PDT
From: Paul Andrews <CABELL.ANDREWS@arpa.bionet-20>
Subject: To Douglas Kell/University College,Wales
To: seqnet@arpa.bionet-20

Douglas Kell:re-FAD synthesis with C. kluyveri

             Sorry I have been so long in replying, but I have been out of town
for a while and haven't had a chance to check my mail.  To remind you of my
problem.....I am interested in synthesizing 2-C14-FAD from 2-C14-ribolflavin.
One published procedure is to incubate Clostridium kluyveri with C14-riboflavina
suggestions from other groups and apparently the approach used now is to
produce an "FAD synthetase" complex from Brevibacterium ammoniagenes.  I am
going to try this approach first before attempting to grow more bacteria.
anyway, if I have anymore trouble I may be in touch.  Thankyou for your
responce.
                        Yours truly (..et merci from a displaced Canadian...)
                        Paul Andrews
                        College of Pharmacy/Medicinal Chemistry
                        University of Texas at Austin
                        Austin, Texas
                        78712
                        (EMAIL CABELL.ANDREWS)
-------

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (04/05/88)

From: BIORELAY%BIO.CAM.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

From:    SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.PHX  5-APR-1988 11:32
To:    SEQNET
Subj:

Date: Tue, 05 Apr 88 11:31:59 BST
From: SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
To:   seqnet@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

(Message number 2)
Accepted:  11:30:37 05 Apr 88
Submitted: 18:24:00 31 Mar 88
IPMessageId: -unspecified-
From: PFEIFFER@EARN.DM0MPB51
To: SEQNET@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.PHOENIX
Subject: restriction enzyme database

Via:           UK.AC.RL.EARN; Thu, 31 Mar 88 17:27:54 BST

                                         30-MAR-1988
Dear Rich Roberts!
I am sorry that my restriction enzyme lists were announced in Bionet as
better than yours. This has never been my intention. Clearly, I myself do not
intensely collect information on restriction enzymes, but try to combine yours
and Kesslers data with some generally available information (publications and
enzyme catalogues) and make them available to users of the PIR and UWGCG
package. Thus, my lists are secondary information and cannot be proposed as a
substitute for the primary data collection. A separate notice of this will be
sent to Seqnet and thus will be distributed through Bionet. I hope that this
makes things clear between us and for the scientific community.
As David George pointed out, many secondary distributors step in to fill a
perceived need. This is exactly what happened to me. Here in Martinsried, we
use the PIR and UWGCG software and detected that the enzyme lists were
inadequate. Thus, I prepared a local update and made it available to the
scientific community so that other scientists do not need to do the same.
I do not see a reason why you cannot prepare the restriction enzyme list in
the format required by the PIR and UWGCG software yourself. Your database
output is very flexible as you say. Please look at their format, prepare the
output and send it to both groups. If you do, there is no need for me to
continue with my redistribution of data. To my knowledge, you did not offer
this in the past.
David made a strong point for a standardized format also for your restriction
enzyme database. You will remember that I made a similar proposal some time
ago. Let me explain why I still feel this to be a necessary topic. It is our
historical bad experience With the sequence databases.
PIR and UWGCG had inconsistent formats some years ago (luckily solved by now).
At that time, the sequence databases were distributed together with the
software. Due to this, different database releases were accessed by the
different software packages. This situation was very confusing and
unsatisfactory. Therefore we decided to get a copy directly from the primary
database and to reformat it locally.
If you would prepare the restriction enzyme files in the different formats
yourself, we would run into the same problem again. Therefore, it seems better
to have an updated release of your database in a standard format locally, and
to have software for transformation. This software would be specific to the
software package and could be distributed with it. Thus each institute could
generate the required lists locally and have the same enzymes available for
all their program packages.
As you can see, the lack of standards causes a lot of confusion. I wonder why
Bionet is still not using the IUPAC nomenclature for ambiguous nucleotide
symbols. This standard is now several years old and should definitively be
adopted by all sequence analysis software packages. Lack of standardization,
especially concerning data format, is a severe problem in all existing
biological databases. As David pointed out already, the PIR, MIPS and JIPID
protein sequence databases try to avoid this problem by close cooperation.
During the last months, I could not get hold of your lists from yourself, but
received more or less updated versions floating around. Thus, EMBL still seems
to distribute a list from beginning of 1987. I recieved the list you recently
sent to Kessler at Boehringer, which seems to be a very recent version, only a
few days ago. I have not yet managed to compare the data and to update my
lists.
How far are you with the Oracle database system? We are still in the process
of implementation, because my major task is to participate in the organization
of the MIPS protein sequence database, and restriction enzymes are only a
minor activity. It would be nice, if you and Kessler could agree on a format
for data exchange, so that comparison of the data by computer becomes
possible.
You stated that Kessler's data are not reliable and incomplete. How much do
you collect data on methylases and on sensitivity to methylation of
restriction enzymes. This is a major point in Kesslers lists. His system
discriminates between inhibitory, tolerated, required and undocumented for RE.
He also discriminated between different types of modification (pos 4 and 5 of
cytosine are currently known, but probably more types of modifiaction will be
detected in the future).
I am completely confused with your abbreviations of commercial companies. The
enzyme list received via Kessler has L = PL-Pharmacia-LKB and P = Promega,
while the list received today via David George has P = Pharmacia P-L and R =
Promega. My intention is to use the same abbreviation as you, but this is
difficult if you are inconsistent with yourself. After talking to Kessler,
I have adopted the abbreviations you sent to him, and have extended this list
as necessary. Here is my current version. Please comment if you want any
changes. Which of your abbreviations will be used in the future?
Source Abbreviations
A = Amersham
B = BRL
C = Cambridge Biotechnology Laboratories
D = Biores (NL)
E = Stratagene (European distributor is Genofit)
F = Genofit
G = Anglian Biotechnology
I = International Biotechnologies Inc
K = Takara
L = PL-Pharmacia-LKB
M = Boehringer Mannheim
N = New England Biolabs
O = Toyobo (USB in USA, Medac in FRG)
P = Promega Biotec
R = Brisco (does this exist any longer?)
S = Sigma
T = Atomergic Chemetals
U = USB  (see O = Toyobo)
V = Serva
W = Worthington
X = New York Biolabs
Y = Chemical Dynamics
I am sorry that my lists caused confusion and hope that this letter and the
note in Seqnet/Bionet will settle things.
Friedhelm Pfeiffer

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (04/11/88)

From: BIORELAY%BIO.CAM.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

From:    Deba Patnaik <DEBA@EARN.UMDC> 10-APR-1988 14:34
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    First International Symposium on Marine Molecular Biology

Via:      UK.AC.RL.EARN; Sun, 10 Apr 88 14:34:22 BST
Date:     Sun, 10 Apr 88 09:31:46 EDT
From:     Deba Patnaik <DEBA@EARN.UMDC>
Subject:  First International Symposium on Marine Molecular Biology
To:       seqnet@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

         FIRST INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON MARINE MOLECULAR BIOLOGY

                            October 9-11, 1988
                            Baltimore, Maryland

                               Sponsored by:
                         Office of Naval Research
          Center of Marine Biotechnology, University of Maryland
                                    and
                      National Aquarium in Baltimore

     The symposium will provide a forum for discussion and exchange of
     ideas regarding molecular biology and its impact on the marine
     sciences.

                                  PROGRAM
     _______________________________

                             Sunday, October 9
                          (at National Aquarium)

     5:30-7:00 PM    REGISTRATION

     6:30                    RECEPTION

     8:00                    WELCOMING

     8:30                    KEYNOTE ADDRESS
                                Dr. James Ebert, Director
                                Chesapeake Bay Institute,
                                The Johns Hopkins University

                            Monday, October 10
                              Morning Session
                   (at Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor)

                      Convenor: Dr. Volker A. Erdmann
                                        Freie Universitat Berlin

     8:15 AM       Introductory Remarks
     8:30-9:15      Dr. Erko S. Stackebrandt, Institut
                          fur Allgemeine Mikrobiologie der
                          Universitat Kiel, Federal Republic
                          of Germany
     9:15-10:00    Dr. Michael J. Silverman, Agouron
                          Institute of Technology
     10:00-10:15  BREAK
     10:15-11:00  Dr. J. Woodland Hastings,
                          Harvard University
     11:00-11:45  Dr. Norman Pace, Indiana
                          University
     11:45-12:00  DISCUSSION

     12:00-1:30    LUNCH

                             Afternoon Session
                      Convenor: Dr. Fred L. Singleton
                                   Center of Marine Biotechnology

     1:30-2:15      Dr. Yuzuru Shimizu, University of
                          Rhode Island
     2:15-3:00      Dr. Kazuhiro Kogure, University of
                          Tokyo, Japan
     3:00-3:20      DISCUSSION
     3:20-3:35      CONCLUDING REMARKS
                          Dr. Saul Roseman, The Johns
                          Hopkins University and Center of
                          Marine Biotechnology

     3:35-6:00      POSTER SESSION

     6:00-9:00      BANQUET

                            Tuesday, October 11
                              Morning Session
                   (at Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor)

              Convenor: Dr. Dennis Powers, The Johns Hopkins
                         University and Center of Marine
                         Biotechnology

     8:15 AM       Introductory Remarks
     8:30-9:15      Dr. Igor Dawid, National Institute of
                          Health
     9:15-10:00    Dr. Hiroshi Kawauchi, Kitasato
                          University, Japan
     10:00-10:15  BREAK
     10:15-11:00  Dr. C.L. Hew, University of Toronto,
                          Canada
     11:00-11:45  Dr. Yonathan Zohar
                          Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
     11:45-12:00  DISCUSSION

     12:00-1:30    LUNCH

                             Afternoon Session
                       Convenor: Dr. Allen R. Place
                                            Center of Marine
                                            Biotechnology

     1:30-2:15      Dr. Daniel Morse, University of
                           California at Santa Barbara
     2:15-2:45      Dr. Shin-Nan Chen, National Taiwan
                           University, Republic of China
     2:45-3:15      Dr. Jo-Ann Leong, Oregon State
                           University
     3:15-3:30      DISCUSSION
     3:30-3:45      CONCLUDING REMARKS
                           Dr. Thomas T. Chen, Center of
                           Marine Biotechnology

     3:45-4:00      FUTURE PERSPECTIVE - Dr. Rita
                          Colwell, Maryland Biotechnology
                          Institute, University of Maryland

     4:00-6:00      POSTER SESSION

                   FIRST INTERNATIONATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON

                             MARINE MOLECULAR

                                  BIOLOGY

                            October 9-11, 1988

                      Center of Marine Biotechnology
                          University of Maryland
                           600 East Lombard St.
                         Baltimore, Maryland 21202
                           (301) 783-4800
Registration Fees (covers Meetings and Banquet):

Regular: $100.00
Student:  $25.00

For a registartion packet, please e-mail your US postal address to

FISMBB@UMDC.BITNET
or
FISMBB@UMDC.UMD.EDU

OR
Call or Write to The Center of Marine Biotechnology,
Attn: Greta Dellinger

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (04/13/88)

From: BIORELAY%BIO.CAM.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

From:    <SB06@UK.AC.LIVERPOOL.IBM> 11-APR-1988 10:36
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    pc screen to mac

Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 88 10:33:14 BST
From:         <SB06@UK.AC.LIVERPOOL.IBM>
Subject:      pc screen to mac
To:           <SEQNET@CAM.BIO>

I'm looking for software that can capture an EGA screen in a file format
that can subsequently be massaged into a bit-mapped image for printing
in a Macintosh system - as a 'paint' type file, on the laserwriter. Has
anyone come across such software. The file trasnfer is no problem as we use a
TOPS network - its the initial capture/file conversion that is causing
problems.

Thanks,

Rob Beynon
Department of Biochemistry
University of Liverpool
PO Box 147
LIVERPOOL L69 3BX, U.K.
SB06@UK.AC.LIV.IBM

Dear Dr. Bishop,
I would like to participate at your list of molecular biologists in europe.
Name: Christoph Heller
E-Mail: Bipohl2 at Dknkurz1
Postal address: Fakultaet fuer Biologie
                Universitaet Konstanz
                P.O.Box 5560
                7750 Konstanz
                W-Germany

Interests: DNA Sequencing, Genome Mapping
           Technical developments, Computing

I would like to register to use the SEQNET bulletin board.

VINCENT_MULHOLLAND@UK.AC.NCL.MTS       (E-Mail Address)

Vincent Mulholland,
Department of Genetics,
Catherine Cookson Building,
University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
Framlington Place,
Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
NE2 4HH.
(091-2328511 Ext. 3954)

RESEARCH: Bacterial plasmid replication and recombination
OTHER INTERESTS:Prokayoric gene expression: Restriction/Modification systems

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (05/25/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.PHX 24-MAY-1988 11:16
To:    SEQNET
Subj:

Date: Tue, 24 May 88 11:15:05 BST
From: SEQNET@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
To:   seqnet@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

(Message number 2)
Accepted:  11:13:07 24 May 88
Submitted: 16:16:20 21 May 88
IPMessageId: 9E8C8AC803CD4E90
From: MA11
To: seqnet

                   Drosophila Codon Table

                      Version 4.0

                   Michael Ashburner,
                 Department of Genetics,
                 University of Cambridge,
                    Cambridge, England.

              Telephone 44-(0)223-333969
              Electronic mail:ma11@uk.ac.cam.phx

                       May 18 1988

These Tables are supplied with the understanding that they can be freely used
for research, although if quoted in any publication a suitable acknowledgement
(e.g. Michael Ashburner, personal communication) would be appreciated.

I will automatically post new versions on the SEQNET and BIONET Bulletin
Boards. These will generally be compiled whenever enough new data warrents
the work. I am very happy to include new sequences that have not yet made
the Sequence Data Banks, if these can be sent to me by electronic mail
with sufficient data for the coding sequences to be extracted. If anyone
should need the files of coding sequences that have been used to generate
these tables please send me a message.

Two series of Tables are included, one for "host" genes and one for orfs carried
by transposable elements. For each series you have a codon table, a base
composition and the names of the sequences used to compile these.

By and large these sequences are taken from the EMBL, GENBANK or DAYHOFF
Libraries. However some have been privately communicated to me. All sequences
have been checked that they translate but many are incomplete. Hence, for
example, the number of sequences is greater than the number of TER codons.

The latest versions of the databanks used are EMBL V15.0 and GENBANK V55.0.
//
Table 1A: Codons of "host" genes:
     TTT       477     TCT       341     TAT       521     TGT       323
     TTC      1270     TCC      1071     TAC      1187     TGC       899
     TTA       147     TCA       291     TAA        61     TGA        18
     TTG       687     TCG       831     TAG        28     TGG       560

     CTT       362     CCT       371     CAT       521     CGT       552
     CTC       605     CCC      1201     CAC       910     CGC       927
     CTA       298     CCA       631     CAA       598     CGA       344
     CTG      1986     CCG       814     CAG      1877     CGG       316

     ATT       787     ACT       437     AAT       912     AGT       404
     ATC      1417     ACC      1418     AAC      1442     AGC       909
     ATA       282     ACA       399     AAA       593     AGA       209
     ATG      1304     ACG       672     AAG      2304     AGG       259

     GTT       577     GCT       864     GAT      1414     GGT      1034
     GTC       897     GCC      2164     GAC      1333     GGC      1805
     GTA       226     GCA       522     GAA       770     GGA      1233
     GTG      1527     GCG       660     GAG      2491     GGG       205
Total = 52495
//
Table 1A in Staden format:
     F TTT 477. S TCT 341. Y TAT 521. C TGT 323.
     F TTC1270. S TCC1071. Y TAC1187. C TGC 899.
     L TTA 147. S TCA 291. * TAA  61. * TGA  18.
     L TTG 687. S TCG 831. * TAG  28. W TGG 560.
     L CTT 362. P CCT 371. H CAT 521. R CGT 552.
     L CTC 605. P CCC1201. H CAC 910. R CGC 927.
     L CTA 298. P CCA 631. Q CAA 598. R CGA 344.
     L CTG1986. P CCG 814. Q CAG1877. R CGG 316.
     I ATT 787. T ACT 437. N AAT 912. S AGT 404.
     I ATC1417. T ACC1418. N AAC1442. S AGC 909.
     I ATA 282. T ACA 399. K AAA 593. R AGA 209.
     M ATG1304. T ACG 672. K AAG2304. R AGG 259.
     V GTT 577. A GCT 864. D GAT1414. G GGT1034.
     V GTC 897. A GCC2164. D GAC1333. G GGC1805.
     V GTA 226. A GCA 522. E GAA 770. G GGA1233.
     V GTG1527. A GCG 660. E GAG2491. G GGG 205.
 TOTAL CODONS=    52495.
//
Table 1B: Base composition of "host" genes:
T = 31458    C = 44456    Y = 0    Pyrimidine = 75914
A = 37333    G = 44242    R = 0    Purine = 81575
N = 8        Nucleotides = 157497
//
Table 1C: "Host" gene sequences used for Tables 1A and 1B

The numbers after the names indicate the number of codons (excluding ter but
including N-terminal met); if this number if bracketed then the coding
sequence is incomplete.

                      [EMBL/GENBANK Acession numbers]
M14643;                      alpha-tubulin-1, 450
M14644;                      alpha-tubulin-2, 449
M14645;                      alpha-tubulin-3, 450
M14646;                      alpha-tubulin-4, 462
M16922;                      beta-tubulin-2, 446
M16922;                      beta-tubulin-3, 448
X05893;                      acetyl cholinesterase, 649
X06384;Y00212;               actin 5C, [137]
K00670;K00671;               actin 42A, [308]
J01064;                      actin 79B, 376
K00674;K00675;               actin 87E, [93]
J01065;                      actin 88F, 376
Z00030;                      alcohol dehydrogenase, 256
Z00030;                      3' orf to Adh, [145]
X04695;                      a-methyl-dopa resistant (amd), 510
X04569;                      amylase-1, 494
X03788-X03791;               Antp, 378
M14549;                      bicoid, [71]
X04896;                      bsg25D, 741
M14131;                      C1A9 nuclear protein, 161
K01042;                      c-ash, [275]
X05939;                      c-myb (13E), 697
K01960;                      c-ras1 (85D), 189
M10759;M10803;M10804;        c-ras2 (64B), 195
X02200;                      c-ras3 (62B), 182
M11917;                      c-src (64B), 552
M16599;                      c-src4 (28C), 590
Y00133;                      calmodulin, [128]
M16534;J03452;               casein-hydrolase-alpha-chain, 336
M16534;J03452                casein-hydrolase-beta-chain, 215
X03062;                      caudal, [197]
M13219;                      choline acetyl transferase, [728]
X02947;                      chorion gene s15-1, 115
X02497;                      chorion gene s18-1, 272
X02947;                      chorion gene s19-1, 373
X05245;                      chorion gene s36, 286
X05245;                      chorion gene s38, 306
V00200;                      collagen-like gene fragments, [589]
J02727;                      collagen-IV, [711]
X05144;                      crumbs (EGF-like at 95F), [293]
X01761;                      cytochrome c gene DC3, 105
X01760;                      cytochrome c gene DC4, 108
X05136;                      Deformed, 590
X05140;                      Delta, [200]
X04426;                      dopa decarboxylase, 511
M14978-14982;                dunce, 362
X04521;                      eip28/29, 255
X04024;                      eip40, 393
M11744;                      elongation factor (48D), 463
M10017;                      engrailed, 552
M15961;                      esterase-6, 548
X05138;                      even-skipped, 376
X00854;K01951;               fushi tarazu, 413
M11254;                      Gapdh-1, 332
M11255;                      Gapdh-2, 332
J02527;K02461;               glycinimide ribotide transformylase (GART), 1353
M13786;                      Gpdh [exon 3], [40]
J01085;                      heat shock cognate 70C [exon 1], [68]
K01296;K01297;               heat shock cognate 87D [exons 1 & 2], [70]
J02569;                      heat shock cognate 88E, [104]
X04073;                      Histone H1, 256
Dayhoff;                     Histone H2A, [122]
Dayhoff;                     Histone H2B, [118]
Dayhoff;                     Histone H3, [122]
Dayhoff;                     Histone H4, [72]
V00209;                      hsp22, 174
V00210;                      hsp23, 186
V00211;                      hsp26, 208
V00212;                      hsp27, 213
V00213;V00214;               hsp70 [87A], [347]
J01104;J01105;               hsp70 [87C], 641
X03810;                      hsp82, 717
Y00274;                      hunchback, 757
M13568;                      Insulin-like receptor protein-1, [1095]
M14778;                      Insulin-like receptor protein-2, [300]
X05273;                      invected, 576
X03414;                      Kruppel, 466
X04227;                      l(2)37Cc, 326
X05426;                      lethal(2)giant larva, 1160
V00202;                      larval cuticle protein-1 [44D], 130
V00203;                      larval cuticle protein-2 [44D], 126
V00203;                      larval cuticile protein-3 [44D], 112
V00204;                      larval visceral protein-D [44D], 508
V00204;                      larval visceral protein-H [44D], 522
V00204;                      larval visceral protein-L [44D], 505
X03872;                      LSP1-alpha, [70]
X03873;                      LSP1-beta, [100]
X03874;                      LSP1-gamma, [105]
X03758;                      metallothionein  (Mtn), 40
Y00831;                      mst(3)gl-9 sperm protein, 56
J02788;                      myosin-heavy chain, 269
M10125;                      myosin-light chain, 155
X04016;                      nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (AChR), 521
M11664;                      Notch, 2703
Y00043;                      ospsin R7 specific, 383
K02315;                      opsin, ninaE, 373
M12896;                      opsin at 91D, 373
M15762;                      pen#9b, 365
M11969;                      period, 1127
Y00402;                      Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase, 647
M14548;                      paired, 613
X05076;Y00042;               protein kinase C, 639
J02527;K02461;               pupal cuticle protein (Gart), 184
X05016;                      ribosomal protein rpA1, 113
X00848;                      ribosomal protein rp49, 133
X05709;                      RNA polymerase II-140, 1123
M11798;                      RNA polymerase II-215, [470]
Y00308;                      rosy, 1335
X04813;                      rudimentary, 2356
X01918;                      Sgs3, 307
J01135;J01136;               Sgs4, [141]
X04269;                      Sgs5, 163
X01918;                      Sgs7, 74
X01918;                      Sgs8, 75
Y00288;                      snail, 390
X04513;                      snake, 430
X03121;                      serendipity-alpha, 530
X03121;                      serendipity-beta, 351
X03121;                      serendipity-delta, 430
Y00367;                      superoxide dismutase, 213
K03277;                      tropomyosin I, T-isoform, [198]
M15466;                      tropomyosin II, 285
X02989;                      trypsin-like enzyme, alpha-chain, 256
X05723;Y00206;               Ubx, 389
X01802;                      vitelline membrane protein, [96]
X02974;                      white, 541
Chia;                        yellow, 696
V00248;                      yolk protein-1, 459
J01157;                      yolk protein-2, 459
M15898;                      yolk protein-3, 420
Y00049;                      zeste, 575
//
Table 2A: Codon table TE genes:
     TTT       366     TCT       129     TAT       264     TGT       108
     TTC       200     TCC       120     TAC       230     TGC       107
     TTA       351     TCA       197     TAA         1     TGA         1
     TTG       195     TCG        74     TAG         0     TGG       108

     CTT       216     CCT       112     CAT       187     CGT        64
     CTC       104     CCC       104     CAC       165     CGC        38
     CTA       199     CCA       271     CAA       396     CGA        99
     CTG       105     CCG        52     CAG       160     CGG        22

     ATT       463     ACT       205     AAT       620     AGT       180
     ATC       175     ACC       171     AAC       403     AGC       145
     ATA       447     ACA       374     AAA       888     AGA       260
     ATG       199     ACG        64     AAG       282     AGG        83

     GTT       181     GCT       160     GAT       330     GGT       130
     GTC       106     GCC       129     GAC       305     GGC       107
     GTA       188     GCA       222     GAA       566     GGA       148
     GTG       113     GCG        63     GAG       227     GGG        39
Total = 12718
//
Table 2A in Staden format:
     F TTT 366. S TCT 129. Y TAT 264. C TGT 108.
     F TTC 200. S TCC 120. Y TAC 230. C TGC 107.
     L TTA 351. S TCA 197. * TAA   1. * TGA   1.
     L TTG 195. S TCG  74. * TAG   0. W TGG 108.
     L CTT 216. P CCT 112. H CAT 187. R CGT  64.
     L CTC 104. P CCC 104. H CAC 165. R CGC  38.
     L CTA 199. P CCA 271. Q CAA 396. R CGA  99.
     L CTG 105. P CCG  52. Q CAG 160. R CGG  22.
     I ATT 463. T ACT 205. N AAT 620. S AGT 180.
     I ATC 175. T ACC 171. N AAC 403. S AGC 145.
     I ATA 447. T ACA 374. K AAA 888. R AGA 260.
     M ATG 199. T ACG  64. K AAG 282. R AGG  83.
     V GTT 181. A GCT 160. D GAT 330. G GGT 130.
     V GTC 106. A GCC 129. D GAC 305. G GGC 107.
     V GTA 188. A GCA 222. E GAA 566. G GGA 148.
     V GTG 113. A GCG  63. E GAG 227. G GGG  39.
 TOTAL CODONS=    12718.
//
Table 2B: Base composition TE genes:
T = 9774     C = 7350     Y = 0     Pyrimidine = 17124
A = 14591    G = 6439    R = 0    Purine = 21030
N = 0        Nucleotides = 38154
//
Table 2C: TE genes used for Tables 2A and 2B:

                  [EMBL/GENBANK Accession numbers]
X01472;                      17.6 element
X03431;                      297 element
X04132;X03733;               412 element
X02599;                      copia element [Saigo]
V00246;                      FB4
X03734;                      gypsy element
X01748;                      HB1
X04705;                      hobo
Finnegan                     I element
O'Hare;                      P element
X01747;                      transposon HB2
X02600;                      virus like particle RNA (VLP H-RNA)
//

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (05/25/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.PHX 24-MAY-1988 13:18
To:    BIORELAY
Subj:

Date: Tue, 24 May 88 13:17:30 BST
From: MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
To:   biorelay@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

THE BRITISH LIBRARY

BIOTECHNOLOGY INFORMATION NEWS

NO. 16, MARCH 1988

ISSN 0952-147X

Biotechnology Information News is published 4 times year, free of charge, by
the British Library Biotechnology Information Service, 25 Southampton
Buildings, London WC2A 1AW, UK (telephone 01 323 7293).

IN THIS ISSUE
The new Biotechnology Information Service newsletter

Microbial Culture Information Service

Microbial Information Network Europe

Biotech Knowledge Sources

Document Supply Centre

New companies

Seminar on biotechnology information

         THE NEW BIOTECHNOLOGY INFORMATION SERVICE NEWSLETTER

  Welcome to Biotechnology Information News, the successor to EBIP
News. The new title reflects our transformation from EBIP to the
Biotechnology Information Service, now fully funded by the British
Library. The aim of the Newsletter is to give readers news about the
Biotechnology Information Service, and the British Library in general,
and also to cover biotechnology in the wider world - industry, science
and information systems. We welcome contributions from readers,
whether to comment on past articles or to raise new issues.
  The Biotechnology Information Service is presently concentrating its
energies in three areas: a help desk, publications and courses.
  We will attempt to answer any biotechnology queries, using the vast
collection at the Science Reference and Information Service. We have
special knowledge of this field and the people who work in it and we can
usually supply information or suggest suitable resources to deal with a
particular problem. Our number is 01 323 7293.
  Biotech Knowledge Sources (BKS) is a major new publication which in-
corporates, and extends,  our  earlier publications, Market Research
Reports and Forthcoming Conferences and Courses. See below for more
details.
  The Biotechnology Information Service holds a regular seminar giving
a general introduction to biotechnology information. The latest, held
on 26 January, was well attended and we are grateful to delegates for
the feedback they provided through the evaluation forms. This informa-
tion will be very useful for shaping future seminars. The next seminar
is on 7 July and further details can be found below. Another seminar will be
held on 24 November. We are also considering ways of expanding our seminar
programme, possibly by introducing a new seminar devoted to a
specialist area within biotechnology, such as business information.
  Details of new developments will be announced in Biotechnology In-
formation News.

                        MICROBIAL DATA SYSTEMS

A. Microbial Culture Information Service (MiCIS)

  The Microbial Culture Information Service (MiCIS) is a project
funded by the Department of Trade and Industry. It is part of the
Biotechnology Research Group at the Laboratory of the Government
Chemist (LGC). We originally reported on the early stages of the
project (EBIP News No. 13, March 1987) when Geraldine Alliston was in
charge. Mrs Alliston has now moved on, and her successor will arrive
shortly.
  Most of the data has now been loaded  including records from the
following collections: National Collection of Type Cultures, National
Collection of Pathogenic Fungi, National Collection of Industrial
Bacteria, National Collection of Marine Bacteria, National Collection
of Food Bacteria, National Collection of Yeast Cultures and CAB
International Mycological Institute collection. The latter two collec-
tions were added by direct conversion of existing computer records.
Still awaiting keyboarding are the Culture Collection for Algae and
Protozoa (now in 2 sections, one for marine algae and one for
freshwater algae and protozoa) and the National Collection of Wood
Rotting Fungi (due to move to the Building Research Establishment site
at Garston, Watford in the next year or so).
  Data is collected by two teams of 2 people each who work at the
centres in turn, converting records into a computer format. The
records are then loaded into the multiuser relational database manage-
ment system running on the mini-computer at the LGC.
  To facilitate retrieval the index terms are validated and checked
against lists of controlled terms covering chemical names and other
keywords, and the names of organisms.
  For an annual subscription of 200 a year the user has online access
to the database, a user guide which includes a list of all the
preferred terms used in indexing, and customer support services. It is
not necessary to have facilities for a computer link-up to search
MiCIS. Postal subscribers pay 200 annually and then a flat rate of
10 per search carried out by MiCIS staff. Casual enquiries will also
be carried out for non-subscribers a cost of 50 each.

  For more information contact Jane Bonner, MiCIS Database
Administrator, Laboratory of the Government Chemist, Cornwall House,
Waterloo Road, London SE1 8XY  (Tel: 01 211 0323).

B. Update on Microbial Information Network Europe (MINE)
by Rhonda Platt,
MINE Project Administrator at CAB International Mycological Institute,
Ferry Lane, Kew, Surrey TW9 3AF

  MINE is an Integrated Catalogue Project, incorporating a European
Network of Microbial Culture Collection Databanks. This project is
funded by the EEC Biotechnology Action Programme and the objective is
to establish a computer network of microbial information across
Europe. Since the beginning of 1988 two more European countries have
joined the project bringing the total to seven European partners; Bel-
gium, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and the UK.
  CAB International Mycological Institute is acting as the UK node,
and  10 UK collections, including the CMI Culture Collection, are par-
ticipating in this node. Keyboarding and computer transfer of collec-
tion data is underway on those collections not available on MiCIS. It
is hoped that MiCIS data can be directly downloaded to the CAB Inter-
national VAX 11/780-8250 computer cluster and avoid duplication of ef-
fort.
  The UK Node may store as much data as the individual collection
wishes, but once all data is stored on the VAX, a Minimum Data Set
(MDS) only will be transferred to other nodes. Hence, when all nodes
have exchanged MDS's, each node will hold on its own computer (VAX or
VAX  compatible) a European database. People wishing to access the
database will therefore contact their local node. If the information
required is not within the scope of the MDS, the enquirer will be
referred to the holding collection or MiCIS as appropriate. MiCIS will
hold full strain data of all UK national culture collections. Although
MINE may hold extensive strain data at node level, the eventual
European database held at each node will contain the Minimum Data Set
only.
  Those who wish to study the Minimum Data Set will be able to do so
in the near future in the Journal of General Microbiology which will
be publishing a paper by W.Gams et al, "Fungal and yeast strain data
in MINE". A similar paper will be published later for bacteria. The
MDS contains 30 fields on: Computer details, Name, Strain details,
Status, Environment and History, Biological Interactions, Sexuality,
Genotype and Genetics, Growth Conditions and Practical Applications.
  Full integration of the MDS's of each node should be completed by
the end of 1989.

                      BIOTECH KNOWLEDGE SOURCES

January saw the launch of Biotech Knowledge Sources (BKS), a new cur-
rent awareness journal produced by the British Library Biotechnology
Information Service in collaboration with BioCommerce Data Ltd. Over
recent years, there has been a marked increase in the number of publi-
cations in biotechnology. This is anticipated to continue as biotech-
nology grows and impacts on other established industries. Therefore,
to save you time, and save your organisation money, this unique serv-
ice gives a comprehensive monthly listing of new books, journals and
market research reports in the field of of biotechnology. BKS also
lists forthcoming conferences up to six months ahead. Every issue con-
tains, wherever possible, full address information to enable readers
to make further enquiries about publication or conference registration
details. There are 12 issues per year.
  The information is obtained by scanning online databases,
publishers' catalogues, journals and press releases. Details of
electronic publications and audiovisual material are also included.
  For a limited period we are offering readers of Biotechnology Infor-
mation News the first year's subscription at the special introductory
rate of 89. If you would like to place an order or make further en-
quiries please contact Dr Anita Crafts-Lighty, BioCommerce Data Ltd,
Old Crown Building, Windsor Road, Slough SL1 2DY, UK (Tel: 0753 74201,
Fax:0753 31145).

                        DOCUMENT SUPPLY CENTRE

  The British Library Document Supply Centre is an important resource
for libraries throughout the UK and abroad. It holds current subscrip-
tions to 54,000 journal titles and its total holdings occupy over 90
miles of shelf space. It routinely turns requests around within 2
days. If that is not fast enough Special Services can retrieve ar-
ticles on the spot and send them out the same day, by post or by fax.
  DSC can also help with current awareness, through its publications
and other services. Conference proceedings, for example, often bring
together useful contributions but may not be easy to trace. Only 30%
are published as books, the remainder appear within journals. All
material arriving at DSC is scanned to produce the monthly publication
Index of Conference Proceedings Received. Here can be found the full
title of a conference, date, location and publication details. The
records are indexed by keywords extracted from the title. The monthly
issues are cumulated annually and, for the years 1964-81, there is a
single cumulation on microfiche. It is a comprehensive guide to con-
ferences in its own right, as well as being an index of material at
DSC available for loan.
  Current Research in Britain is published annually by DSC and gives
details of research projects at universities, polytechnics and other
institutions throughout the UK. The information is organised by re-
search centre but there are full indexes to investigators, subject
areas and research topics. There are separate volumes on Biological
Sciences and Physical Sciences and each lists a large number of
entries under the subject area Biotechnology. The latest edition ap-
peared in 1987.
  The Medical Information Service prepares current awareness bulletins
based on records compiled for the Medline database. Typical subject
areas are Cytodiagnosis, Health Care in Britain and Psychotherapy.
  There are an increasing number of research theses being written on
biotechnology. Much of the data presented in them may not be published
elsewhere. DSC microfilms most UK doctoral theses (around 6000 per
year) and copies are available for loan. Interesting titles may be
found through DSC's monthly publication British Reports, Translations
and Theses. This information is also available on the SIGLE database
on BLAISE-LINE.
  For more information on these and other current awareness services,
please contact Customer Services, British Library, Document Supply
Centre, Boston Spa, Wetherby, W.Yorkshire LS23 7BQ.

                            NEW COMPANIES

  Bioseparation Associates was launched in February 1988 and is based
in Livingstone, Scotland. The company has start-up funds of 3.5 mil-
lion, a porportion of which was contributed
by Guinness Mahon Development Capital, a venture capital company. It
aims to recover useful products from abattoir blood by means of a spe-
cial microfilter. At present the two main areas of interest are animal
feed supplements and nutrient additives for tissue culture estimated
to have a world market in excess of 100 million.
  Oxford Glycosystems, formed by a collaboration between Oxford
University's Biochemistry Department and the giant American drug com-
pany, Monsanto will develop and market products for the research and
clinical community for use in carbohydrate technology.. The company is
expected to have a turnover of 25 million within five years.

P.S. Thank you to everybody who returned their reply slips to register
as continuing subscribers to Biotechnology Information News

                     SEMINAR ON BIOTECHNOLOGY INFORMATION

Information about biotechnology covers many areas, from pure research
to product marketing.

This one day course will introduce you to biotechnology information in
business, industry and science. The talks will be illustrated by
numerous examples of books, journals, online services and information
centres used by the Biotechnology Information Service.

The seminar will be of interest to information workers new to
biotechnology, and scientists and managers wishing to learn more about
information sources.

Topics will include:-

     - Business information
          Directories, trade literature, abstracts, online services

     - Online information
          Hosts, databases, search strategies

     - Official publications
          Role of Government, legislation, reports, books

     - Scientific information
          Journals, books, abstracts, directories

     - Patents
          Scientific and industrial information, online services

     - Culture collections and databanks
          Catalogues, online services

Date:     7 July 1988                   Fee: 75 plus VAT (86.25
incl. VAT)

Location: Science Reference and Information Service, 25 Southampton
Buildings,  London WC2A 1AW
(Please note, another seminar will be held on 24 November 1988 and
will be announced in Biotechnology Information News)

Applications not later than 2 weeks before Seminar date should be sent
to Marketing and Public Relations, British Library, Science Reference
and Information Service, 25 Southampton Buildings, London WC2A 1AW
(01 323 7471). A letter of confirmation will be sent.

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (05/29/88)

From: BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK

From:    David Kristofferson <Kristofferson@arpa.bionet-20> 28-MAY-1988 08:29
To:    SEQNET
Subj:    BIOSCI - A NEW INTERNATIONAL BULLETIN BOARD NETWORK!

Date: Fri 27 May 88 23:21:46-PDT
From: David Kristofferson <Kristofferson@arpa.bionet-20>
Subject: BIOSCI - A NEW INTERNATIONAL BULLETIN BOARD NETWORK!
To: BIONET-NEWS@arpa.bionet-20,
    BIOTECH <BIOTECH%umdc%edu.stanford.forsythe%arpa.bionet-20@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss>
    SEQNET@arpa.bionet-20
cc: IG-STAFF@arpa.bionet-20, Kristofferson@arpa.bionet-20

The following announcement is being posted at the BIONET National
Computer Resource for Molecular Biology in California, the University
of Maryland BIOTECH bboard service, the University of Uppsala in
Sweden, and on the SEQNET service in Cambridge, England.  From these
initial sites it will be distributed to other institutions around the
world.

      The International BIOSCI Electronic Bulletin Board Network

A  new  international  molecular  biology  electronic  bulletin  board
("bboard") network is being established.  The name of this new  bboard
network will be  BIOSCI, and  its goal  is to  allow researchers  easy
access to  scientific  bulletin  boards at  local  or  regional  sites
("nodes") on  an accessible  network.  These  nodes will  establish  a
routing system which will automatically forward local bboard  messages
to the corresponding bboard at all other nodes.  Scientists will  thus
be able to communicate directly with their colleagues around the world
without specializing in network esoterica.  They will also be able  to
participate in only the special interest groups (see the initial  list
below) that they desire to see.

Messages to  the bboards  are posted  without editorial  intervention.
This policy will be maintained until traffic reaches a level at  which
editorial moderation needs to be established.

As the first  step in  implementing this scheme,  the bulletin  boards
maintained presently  by the  BIONET  National Computer  Resource  for
Molecular Biology  in the  U.S.A.   will be  expanded to  include  the
participation of other sites.  BIONET's first collaborator in this new
venture is  the Biomedical  Center  at the  University of  Uppsala  in
Sweden.  In the near future BIOTECH at the University of Maryland  and
SEQNET in the U.K. will also  join.  From now until July BIOTECH  will
receive messages  from  each of  the  bboards listed  below  and  will
archive them  under the  respective categories  in their  list  server
which is accessible  to both  BITNET and Internet  users.  After  that
time BIOTECH will have software in  place to both receive and  forward
separate bboards to other sites.  SEQNET in England is also  acquiring
new hardware  for  bboard  distribution, and  the  European  Molecular
Biology Laboratory and the University of Joensuu in Finland have  also
expressed an interest  in participating.  Other  sites are invited  to
participate if they  possess the necessary  hardware and software  for
multiple       bboard        distribution       (please        contact
kristofferson@bionet-20.arpa or mats@bmc.BMC1.UU.SE).

The current list of bboards follows but other topics will be added  as
demand requires.  Users can post messages  to any of the boards  below
by mailing  to  the  appropriate  address  at  either  BIONET  or  the
University of  Uppsala (whichever  is more  convenient).  Each  bboard
address consists of the  bboard name from the  list below followed  by
the host name of  the University of Uppsala  or BIONET computer.   For
example, the PLANT-MOLECULAR-BIOLOGY bboard can be accessed by mailing
to       either       plant-molecular-biology@bmc1.BMC.UU.SE        or
plant-molecular-biology@bionet-20.arpa.  EARN  users can  mail to  the
abbreviated address (<= 8 characters / bboard name) at the  University
of Uppsala.

BBOARD NAME                  TOPIC
-----------                  -----
BIONET-NEWS                  General BIONET announcements
BIO-MATRIX             Applications of computers to biological databases
CONTRIBUTED-SOFTWARE         Information on public-domain mol. biol. programs
EMBL-DATABANK             Messages to and from the EMBL database staff
EMPLOYMENT                   Job opportunities in the biological sciences
GENBANK-BB                   Messages to and from the GenBank database staff
GENE-EXPRESSION              Scientific Interest Group
GENOMIC-ORGANIZATION         Scientific Interest Group
METHODS-AND-REAGENTS         Requests for information and lab reagents
MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION          Scientific Interest Group
ONCOGENES                    Scientific Interest Group
PC-COMMUNICATIONS            Information on PC communications software
PC-SOFTWARE                  Information on PC-software for scientists
PIR                 Messages to and from the PIR database staff
PLANT-MOLECULAR-BIOLOGY      Scientific Interest Group
PROTEIN-ANALYSIS             Scientific Interest Group
RESEARCH-NEWS                Research news of interest to the community
SCIENCE-RESOURCES         Information about funding agencies, etc.
YEAST-GENETICS               Scientific Interest Group

  Sample BBoard posting address format: molecular-evolution@bionet-20.arpa
                    molecular-evolution@bmc1.bmc.uu.se
                (EARN)    mol-evol@semax51

The BITNET/EARN abbreviations follow:

BBOARD NAME                  BITNET/EARN Name
-----------                  -----
BIONET-NEWS                  BIONETBB
BIO-MATRIX                   BIOMATRX
CONTRIBUTED-SOFTWARE         SOFT-CON
EMBL-DATABANK                EMBL-DB
EMPLOYMENT                   BIOJOBS
GENBANK-BB                   GENBANKB
GENE-EXPRESSION              GENE-EXP
GENOMIC-ORGANIZATION         GENE-ORG
METHODS-AND-REAGENTS         METHODS
MOLECULAR-EVOLUTION          MOL-EVOL
ONCOGENES                    ONCOGENE
PC-COMMUNICATIONS            SOFT-COM
PC-SOFTWARE                  SOFT-PC
PIR                          PIR-BB
PLANT-MOLECULAR-BIOLOGY      PLANT
PROTEIN-ANALYSIS             PROTEINS
RESEARCH-NEWS                RESEARCH
SCIENCE-RESOURCES            SCI-RES
YEAST-GENETICS               YEAST

Both the Biomedical  Center at  University of Uppsala  and BIONET  now
handle requests for  additions and deletions  from the BIOSCI  mailing
lists.   Send  requests  (or  other  administrative  matters)  to  the
appropriate BIOSCI address below.

The Americas
------------
biosci@bionet-20.arpa

Europe
------
Internet address:       biosci@bmc1.BMC.UU.SE   (preferred)
Bitnet address:         biosci@semax51

Elsewhere
---------
whichever address above is more accessible.

Eventually  the  University  of  Uppsala  will  handle  redistribution
primarily in Scandinavia, but will temporarily handle distribution  to
other European sites as well until other regional redistribution sites
are established.  In the United States BIONET and BIOTECH will soon be
sharing this responsibility and additional sites may be added.

BIOSCI represents a  new advance in  communications in the  biological
sciences.  We believe that the community will find this endeavor to be
both rewarding and exciting!

Sincerely,

Mats Sundvall            David Kristofferson, Ph.D.
mats@bmc.BMC1.UU.SE        Manager, BIONET Resource
                kristofferson@bionet-20.arpa

Technical note to European EARN users:

If you are on BITNET you can route RFC822 mail to the .SE
domain as described below          ------

Domain:     .SE
Name:       SUNET, Swedish University NETwork
Gateway:    MAILER@SEKTH
Gatemaster: POSTMAST@SEKTH

Please use this  gateway or  other Internet  routes if  you can  until
other EARN nodes are added to the BIOSCI network.

In the U.S. and Canada most BITNET sites can route mail by  addressing
directly to @bionet-20.arpa addresses.   Either the full bboard  names
or    the    BITNET     abbreviations    may     be    used,     e.g.,
bionet-news@bionet-20.arpa or bionetbb@bionet-20.arpa
-------

From:    MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.PHX 29-MAY-1988 11:47
To:    SEQNET
Subj:

Date: Sun, 29 May 88 11:42:25 BST
From: MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
To:   seqnet@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

(Message number 15)
Accepted:  11:24:16 29 May 88
Submitted: 22:00:00 27 May 88
IPMessageId: <34920@mun.bitnet>
From: William H. E. Day <whday@EARN.MUN>
To: mjb1@UK.AC.CAMBRIDGE.PHOENIX
Subject: E-mail Directory Announcement

From:   KEAN::WHDAY        "William H. E. Day" 27-MAY-1988 00:38
To:     WHDAY,WHDAY
Subj:   E-mail Directory
                           Researchers in
       Classification, Clustering, Phylogenetic Reconstruction
                Or Related Methods of Data Analysis
Date:  27 May 1988                    Next distribution:  3 June 1988
Listing in this directory is NOT restricted to members of particular
societies or to residents of particular countries.  The directory
usually does not include addresses for sending mail from one network
domain to another since such addressing conventions usually depend on
the originating node.  Please send:
  suggestions,
  instructions for insertions, deletions, or changes, or
  E-mail addresses of persons who might like to be listed
to William H. E. Day (WHDAY@MUN).
While William H. E. Day, the compiler of this directory, believes the
information in it to be true and accurate, he cannot accept any legal
responsibility for any errors or omissions that may be made, and he
makes no warranty, express or implied, with respect to the material
contained herein.
Network Domain Name                                   Abbreviation
-------------------------------------------------     ------------
ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency)/Internet      A
BITNET, EARN, NETNORTH                                    B
CDNnet (CanaDiaN network)                                 CDN
CSNET  (Computer Science NETwork)                         CS
JANET  (Joint Academic NETwork)                           J
SPAN   (Space Physics Analysis Network)                   S
UUCP   (Unix to Unix CoPy)                                U
User Name(*New Listing)  Domain User Address Within Domain
------------------------ ------ ------------------------------------
Adorf, Hans-Martin*        B    ADoRF@DGAESo51
Arabie, Phipps             B    ARABIE@UIUCVMD
Arbeitsgruppe 1            B    XMATD403@DDATHD21
Berthet, Paul              B    BoLA@BUCLLN11
Bock, Hans H.              B    CHABoCK@DACTH01
Bockenholt, Ulf            B    U612@UIUCVMD
Boster, James              B    BoSTER@PITTVMS
Burmeister, Peter          B    XMATD403@DDATHD21
Carlier, Andre L.          B    CARLIER@FRToU71
Carr, Steven M.            B    SCARR@MUN
Carroll, J. Douglas        A    jdc@research.att.com
                           U    alice!jdc
                           U    research!jdc
Concept Analysis Group     B    XMATD403@DDATHD21
Daws, John T.              B    JDAWS@UIUCVMD
Day, William H. E.         B    WHDAY@MUN
                           CDN  whday@garfield.mun
                           U    garfield!whday
De Soete, Geert            B    GEERT@BGERUG51
de Leeuw, Jan              A    deleeuw@ucla.math.edu
                           B    DELEEUW@UCLASSCF
DeSarbo, Wayne S.          A    wsd@research.att.com
                           U    alice!wsd
Desbois, Dominique         B    DESBoIS@CIEARN
Douglas, Michael E.        B    ABMED@ASUACAD
Dubes, Richard C.          CS   dubes@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
DuBose, Robert F.*         B    DUBoSE_B@WUMS
Ellis, Willem N.           B    U00267@HASARA5  (until 31/12/1988)
                           B    U00267@SARA.NL  (after 30/06/1988)
Felsenstein, Joseph*       A    joe@evolution.ms.washington.edu
                           U    uw-beaver!uw-entropy!uw-evolution!joe
Fitch, Walter M.           B    WFITCH@USCVM
Ganter, Bernhard           B    XMATD403@DDATHD21
Golding, G. Brian          B    FS300047@YUSoL
Gordon, Allan D.           J    stsag@uk.ac.st-and.savb
   from BITNET try...           STSAG@SAVB.ST-AND.AC.UK
Green, Roger H.            B    CLAMBo@UWoVAX
                           B    RGREEN@UWoVAX
Gutman, George A.*         B    GAGUTMAN@UCI
Haedrich, Richard L.*      B    HAEDRICH@MUN
Hartl, Daniel L.*          B    HARTL_D@WUMS
Hirtle, Stephen C.         B    HIRTLE@PITTVMS
                           U    decvax!idis!sch
Hubert, Lawrence J.*       A    l-hubert%uiucpsy@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
                           A    l-hubert%uiucpsy@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
Innes, David J.            B    DINNES@MUN
Kiers, Henk A. L.          B    KELINCI@HGRRUG5
Kruskal, Joseph B.         A    jbk@research.att.com
                           U    research!jbk
Lawrence, Jeffrey G.*      B    HARTL_D@WUMS
Legendre, Pierre           B    3771@UMTLVR
Ling, Robert F.            B    RFLING@CLEMSoN
McMorris, F. R.            B    FRMCMo01@ULKYVX
Milligan, Glenn W.         B    TS0914@oHSTVMA
Murtagh, Fionn D.          B    FIM@DGAIPP1S
                           B    FIoNN@DGAESo51
                           S    ESoMC1::FIoNN
Oden, Neal L.              B    oDEN@BNLCL1
Rohlf, F. James            B    RoHLF@SBBIoVM
Salemans, Ben J. P.        B    U216013@HNYKUN11
Shao, Kwang-Tsao*          B    WN7A1004@TWNMoE10
Sokal, Robert R.           B    CHERYL@SBBIoVM
Swofford, David L.*        A    daveswof@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu
                           B    DAVESWOF@UIUCVMD
                           U    uiucuxc!daveswof
ten Berge, Jos M. F.*      B    JOSTENB@HGRRUG5
van Schuur, Wijbrandt H.   B    WSCHUUR@HGRRUG5
Wareham, H. Todd           B    HARoLD@MUN
                           CDN  harold@garfield.mun
                           U    garfield!harold
Wartenberg, Daniel         B    2248001@RUTVM1
Weinberg, Sharon L.        B    WEINBERG@NYUACF
Wille, Rudolf              B    XMATD403@DDATHD21
Wilson, George D.F.(Buz)*  A    gdwilson@ucsd.edu
                           A    buz%sdcc12@ucsd.edu
                           A    st199gw%sdcc12@ucsd.edu
                           B    GDWILSoN@UCSD
                           U    ucsd!gdwilson
Windham, Michael P.        B    MWIND@USU
Zuker, Michael             B    ZUKER@NRCVM01
END OF E-MAIL DIRECTORY    Total # of Entries:  57       27 MAY 1988

BIORELAY@BIO.CAM.AC.UK (06/06/88)

From: BIORELAY%BIO.CAM.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

From:    MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.PHX  6-JUN-1988 09:32
To:    SEQNET
Subj:

Date: Mon, 06 Jun 88 09:31:31 BST
From: MJB1@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
To:   seqnet@UK.AC.CAM.BIO

(Message number 9)
Accepted:  09:26:01 06 Jun 88
Submitted: 15:56:10 01 Jun 88
IPMessageId: -unspecified-
From: HAZLEDINE@EARN.EMBL
To: mjb1@UK.AC.CAM.PHX
Subject: File server announcement for SEQNET

Postal-address: Meyerhofstrasse 1, 6900 Heidelberg, W. Germany
Phone:          +49 (6221) 387-0 [switchboard]

Martin,

Would you post this announcement about our file server upgrade on SEQNET
please.  (It's finally accessible from JANET!)

Thanks,

Dave.
//
                           EMBL Network File Server
                           ------------------------

We are pleased to be able to announce a major upgrade to the EMBL file server.
The server now accepts STANDARD ELECTRONIC MAIL, sent either over BITNET/EARN
or FROM ANY OTHER NETWORK WHICH HAS A GATEWAY INTO BITNET/EARN. This means, to
take just two examples, that users in the UK connected to JANET and users in
the USA connected to ARPANET can now use the file server.

You should send mail to the BITNET/EARN address NETSERV@EMBL; it should be
formatted with one file server command per line.  The most important command,
to get you started, is HELP. If the file server receives this command, it will
return a help file to you, explaining in some detail what you can do with the
server and how to use it.

Please note that the operating system command you use to send mail to a
BITNET/EARN address, and the way in which you format the address NETSERV@EMBL,
will depend both on the computer you are using and on the network to which it
is connected. If you don't already know how to send mail to a BITNET/EARN
address, we suggest that you contact your local computer service; if all else
fails, contact the Data Library and we will do our best to help.

For example, suppose you are using a VAX/VMS system which is a BITNET/EARN node
running JNET software.  In this case you would use the VMS MAIL command to send
mail to the server.  If you wanted to send a HELP command, your session on the
VAX would look like this (user input in lowercase):

$ MAIL
MAIL>  send
To:      jnet%"netserv@embl"
Subj:
help
<ctrl/z>

If the command you use to send mail allows you to specify a "subject", as in
the above example, then please note that anything you specify as the "subject"
will be treated as a file server command.

Those of you who have already used the server, by sending interactive messages
over BITNET/EARN, should note that this access method is still available.
However, it offers no advantages over standard electronic mail and we would
recommend that you switch to the latter.

We would like to emphasise that you can use the file server to download
sequences added to the EMBL database since the current release was distributed,
in addition to the sequences in the current release itself.

We are well aware that the file server is not (yet!) perfect, and are planning
several enhancements.  The most important ones are to give users direct access
to sequences by accession number as well as by entry name, and to make index
files available which cover just those sequences added to the database since
the current release was distributed.  (Such index files would be much smaller
than the current ones, which cover all sequences in the database, and would
thus be sent much more quickly over computer networks.)

We hope to make progress on the question of direct access by accession number
in the not too distant future, and would like to draw your attention to the
fact that one of the index files (the catalogue of one-line entry descriptions)
is already available for new sequences only.  The file DATALIB:NEWENTS.TXT
contains brief descriptions, entry names and sequence lengths for all those
sequences added to the database since the current release was distributed. Like
all of the other index files, it is updated daily to include all sequences
newly added to the database.

If you have any technical problems in accessing the file server then please
mail to POSTMASTER@EMBL.EARN.  If you have any general comments about the file
server (or any other aspect of our services) then please send them to us; we
want to tailor our services to meet your requirements, and the more feedback we
get the better.  We cannot undertake to respond personally to all comments,
but you can be sure that we want to know what you think!

EMBL Data Library
Postfach 10.2209
D-6900 Heidelberg
West Germany

Telephone                : +49-6221-387258

Email (general enquiries): DATALIB@EMBL.EARN
Email (data submissions) : DATASUBS@EMBL.EARN

From:    BIO::BIONET        6-JUN-1988 09:44
To:    SEQNET
Subj:

From:    BIO::JCJB          1-JUN-1988 15:12
To:    BIONET,JCJB
Subj:    PLEASE put this in the bulletin for EDL (again).

                             UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE

                           DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY

                         POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE

              EUKARYOTIC GENE EXPRESSION/PROTEIN-DNA INTERACTIONS

    Applications are invited for a three year postdoctoral position funded
by the SERC Molecular Recognition Initiative to study yeast gene regulatory
proteins.   The work will use biochemical/molecular biological and NMR
spectroscopic techniques to study the structure and function of these proteins.
Applicants with experience in biochemistry/molecular biology would
be very welcome, but candidates with other relevant backgrounds are encouraged
to apply.

    The post is available (starting date negotiable) at a starting salary
within the range 9,305 -13,675 pounds (according to age and experience).
Applicants should apply before 31st June, sending a full C.V. naming two
academic referees, to Dr. E.D. Laue, Department of Biochemistry, University of
Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge, CB2 1QW, U.K., (telephone Cambridge
333677) from whom further details may be obtained.

                           UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE

                          DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY
                               WITH MEIKO LTD.

                           POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE

             PARALLEL PROCESSING/PROTEIN STRUCTURE DETERMINATION

    Applications are invited for a three year postdoctoral position funded
jointly by the SERC and Meiko Ltd. to work on the development of software for
NMR data processing, including the Maximum Entropy Method (MEM), and protein
structure determination.   The software will be implemented on a Meiko
Computing Surface, a parallel processor based on the Inmos Transputer.    The
successful applicant will collaborate with workers at Meiko Ltd. in Bristol and
will be based in Cambridge.   Applicants with experience in parallel computing
or structure determination using NMR spectroscopy/X-ray diffraction would be
particularly welcome.  However, candidates with other relevant backgrounds are
encouraged to apply.

    The post is available (starting date negotiable) at a starting salary
within the range 9,305 - 13,675 pounds (according to age and experience).
Applicants should apply before 31st June, sending a full C.V. and naming two
academic referees, to Dr. E.D. Laue, Department of Biochemistry, University of
Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge, CB2 1QW, U.K., (telephone Cambridge
333677) from whom further details may be obtained.

                             UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE

                     DEPARTMENTS OF CHEMISTRY AND BIOCHEMISTRY

  RESEARCH STUDENTSHIP IN NMR SPECTROSCOPY/PROTEIN STRUCTURE DETERMINATION

    Applications are invited for a 3 year Ph.D. studentship available from
October 1988 and funded by the SERC for work on the development of NMR
spectroscopic methods for protein structure determination.

    Applicants should have, or expect to obtain, a first or upper second
class honours degree in Chemistry or Physics.   Further information may be
obtained from either Dr. J. Keeler (Department of Chemistry;  Tel:  Cambridge
336428) or Dr. E.D. Laue (Department of Biochemistry;  Tel: Cambridge 333677).
Applicants should send a full Curriculum Vitae and the names and addresses of
two academic referees, as soon as possible, to either of the above.