[alt.aquaria] african cichlid fish

beech@ukecc.UUCP (11/23/87)

hello,

does anyone that reads this news group have any african cichlid fish?  i have
just set up a tank which has african cichlid's from lake maliwa and would
be interested in talking to anyone else that raises this type of fish.

dalka@ihlpg.UUCP (11/24/87)

> hello,
>
> does anyone that reads this news group have any african cichlid fish?  i have
> just set up a tank which has african cichlid's from lake maliwa and would
> be interested in talking to anyone else that raises this type of fish.
Subject: Re: african cichlid fish

I have had african cichlids for about 2 years now. I have breed
a number of them and in general have been happy with them. One thing
I have found after 2 years though is that the Malawians (is that how you
spell it?) Tend to get too big for my liking. I like the Tanganyikans
better at this point for this reason. I have a 55 gallon tank and
currently have 6 or 7 inch long fish (zebras, chipoki) this may not
sound too big but these fish are wide. That is, they are not thin and
have a lot of body weight. Currently I have in my 55 gallon:

	4 zebras (albino & red)
	1 male melanochromis chipoki
	1 Synodontis Numifer (large african catfish)
	3 lamprologus brichardi
	2 Julienchromis maleri
	4 chalinochromis brichardi
	1 Pindanti

Forgive my spelling, I dont have my books here at work to check it.
Anyway the tank is really overloaded, I didnt expect the fish to get
as big as they are. I suggest you get more filtration that you think
you could ever need since I have had to. I have a Hagen Fluval 403
canister right now. I have also had major problems with keeping the PH high
with this many fish but finally have it under control.
I guess I shouldn't be so negative, I guess I would recommend not
crowding them as I have. I have had some other africans in the last
2 years but have gotten rid of then in lieu of others. I have had

	melanochromis auratus
	kenyi
	Haplochromis electra
--