[alt.aquaria] Anemones and Food was Re: Anemonies and Copper?

whitling@andromeda.UUCP (12/05/87)

In article <4406@ihlpg.ATT.COM> dalka@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Ken Dalka) writes:

>> [remark about what anemones eat]
>>
>This is a important question for me. I have not kept anemonies
>but intend to try in the future so I have been trying to ask
>questions. I've been told 2 things:
>
>	1) they are difficult to keep alive for more than 3 or 4 months
>	   in a non-reef tank system where you are using standard filters.

This may be true of some types of anemones, but I have one which is over
a year old, has been moved all over northern New Jersey, and has even
existed in a tank system with *no* outside power filter for a number of
months.  This was a Singapore anemone, it was well cared for by a clown.

>	2) they are BOTH filter feeders and accept lumps of food and
>	   should be given both.

This seems to be true.  Mine have been known to eat goldfish, guppies,
chunks of clam.  They also eat some of the brine shrimp which I often
feed the fish.  We used filter food for a while, but the anemone didn't
seem to profit from it.

>Anemonies are a broad class of invertebrates so I guess Ill say I'd
>like to keep the kind that clowns love to cuddle up in (carpet anemonies?).
>Anybody wish to comment?
>--

These kind are usually referred to as Pacific anemones.  I also have an
Atlantic anemone which is a lot more interesting because it moves all over
the tank and climbs up the walls and such.  My clown doesn't much like
it though.

>					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
>					ihnp4!ihlpg!dalka
>					IE 2F-518  (312) 416-7437