[alt.aquaria] Fish at Christmas

whitling@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Donna Whitlinger) (12/11/87)

Does anyone have any information about how long a small marine tank can
go within any attention?  I have a five gallon aquarium in my office
containing a small pericula (sp) clown and an anemone.  The office will
be closed from December 25th until January 5th.  If I set up a feeder with
flaked marine food, will the clown die of malnutrition during this period?
Will the anemone starve while I'm not there?

I thought about taking the tank (or its occupants) home for the break, but
it seems that the shock of transport might be worse.  Any thoughts or
experience?

Thanks in advance,

Donna Whitlinger
Rutgers University
Newark, New Jersey

In article <315@galaxy> whitling@andromeda (Donna Whitlinger) writes:
>Does anyone have any information about how long a small marine tank can
>go within any attention?  I have a five gallon aquarium in my office
>containing a small pericula (sp) clown and an anemone.  The office will
>be closed from December 25th until January 5th.  If I set up a feeder with
>flaked marine food, will the clown die of malnutrition during this period?
>Will the anemone starve while I'm not there?
>
>I thought about taking the tank (or its occupants) home for the break, but
>it seems that the shock of transport might be worse.  Any thoughts or
>experience?

Dont sweat it. 3 weeks to a month, and it *might* be cause for concern,
but it is truly amazing how long they can go without food. When you get
back your fish will be active, and the tank very clean.

I have met with disaster every %#(%^@ time I let somebody else (even
alleged experienced aquarists) "take care" of my tanks. I now just ignore
them, ans have even learned not to worry. Never lost a fish that way.

BTW, I once had a tank, about 2-3 years ago, be completely ignored
for 6 months. I was missing 2 out of 20 killiefish, but that was it.

No, I don't think 10 days is cause for concern.

Doesn't help, does it ? You still worry. Could you not go in after 5
days and feed them A LITTLE (ie, resist the strong urge you will have
to 'make up' for not feeding them, and potentially overfeed them)

Also, lowering the temp. a couple of degrees will slow their
metabolism a bit, which may help.

Don't worry. Really.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."