[alt.aquaria] Tank Location

becker@rochester.UUCP (12/03/87)

Well, all this talk about big tanks (bigger than my 20 gal long) has
got me *wanting* a bigger tank.  Where do you folks keep your
55/100/etc gallon tanks?  I kind of like my tank in a living area where
I can enjoy it, but my living room couldn't handle another piece of
furniture the size of a loveseat.  Does anybody keep their tank in the
basement?  Spare bedroom?

Tim Becker.
becker@cs.rochester.edu or ..!rutgers!rochester!becker

richard@gryphon.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <4768@sol.ARPA> becker@cs.rochester.edu (Tim Becker) writes:
>Well, all this talk about big tanks (bigger than my 20 gal long) has
>got me *wanting* a bigger tank.  Where do you folks keep your
>55/100/etc gallon tanks?  I kind of like my tank in a living area where
>I can enjoy it, but my living room couldn't handle another piece of
>furniture the size of a loveseat.  Does anybody keep their tank in the
>basement?  Spare bedroom?

When I lived with my parents, I kept about 5 tanks upstairs
in my bedroom. Until I had a little "accident" and 10 gallons
of water slowly found it;s way onto the hardwood floor
during the night (I had wondered what all that damn creaking
was) and thouroughly destroyed it.

Dad had a little talk with me, along the lines of:

"Son, you and I are going to build you a fishroom"

So, for about 7 years I had about 18 tanks in a 10' by 10'
room. If I had to do it again, I'd put a drain in the middle
of the floor and pipe runing water into it.

Eventually of course, we all leave the nest, and now I live in an
apartment. 1 bedroom for my wife and I and the other one for the 13
fishtanks I had running. See, we had a kid. Down to 7 tanks
immediatly to make room.

Now kiddo is 18 mos, and dammit, he got my fishroom. My remaining 3 tanks
are in the living room. The rest are empty, in the garage.

I once bought a 100 gallon tank for $50 with the bottom glass cracked.

You can't put one of THOSE in an apartment. Weighs almost a ton when
filled. It's still in the garage.

One day.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

acphssrw@csun.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) (12/11/87)

In article <2481@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>I once bought a 100 gallon tank for $50 with the bottom glass cracked.
>
>You can't put one of THOSE in an apartment. Weighs almost a ton when
>filled. It's still in the garage.

"A pint's a pound," Richard.  100 gallons of water weighs 800 pounds.
I certainly don't worry about 4 or 5 friends standing shoulder to
shoulder in my apartment.  My waterbed is a helluva lot heavier than
that, and it is in my second floor apartment.
   Although the people downstairs complain that after the Whittier
quake, the plaster on their ceiling is cracked right under the bed.
I told them it was just the flexure of the frame (it's a wood frame
building).  I hope I'm right :-).

Stephen Walton, representing myself		swalton@solar.stanford.edu
Cal State, Northridge				rckg01m@calstate.BITNET

In article <956@csun.UUCP> acphssrw@csun.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) writes:
>In article <2481@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>
>>I once bought a 100 gallon tank for $50 with the bottom glass cracked.
>>
>>You can't put one of THOSE in an apartment. Weighs almost a ton when
>>filled. It's still in the garage.
>
>"A pint's a pound," Richard.  100 gallons of water weighs 800 pounds.

Uhh, yeah. Why do I keep thinking there are 1000 pounds to
a ton ? Harumpfh.

>I certainly don't worry about 4 or 5 friends standing shoulder to
>that, and it is in my second floor apartment.
>   Although the people downstairs complain that after the Whittier
>quake, the plaster on their ceiling is cracked right under the bed.
>I told them it was just the flexure of the frame (it's a wood frame
>building).  I hope I'm right :-).

The difference is, with a waterbed, the load is spread out over
a larger area. With a 100 gallon tank, the 800+ pounds is
in a 2' x 5' area. Makes me nervous. I sorta like the
people downstairs. :-)

cdaf@iuvax.UUCP (Charles A. Daffinger) (12/16/87)

In article <2566@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>Uhh, yeah. Why do I keep thinking there are 1000 pounds to
>a ton ? Harumpfh.

Um, there are 2000 pounds in a ton.... perhaps you are confusing the metric
system, which has 1000 Kg/metric ton?

-charles
--
Charles Daffinger       \  Take me to the river...  /            (812) 339-7354
Box 1662                 \ drop me in the water... /  cdaf@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

andre@nrc-ut.UUCP (Andre' Hut) (12/16/87)

In article <2566@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <956@csun.UUCP> acphssrw@csun.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) writes:
>>In article <2481@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>>I once bought a 100 gallon tank for $50 with the bottom glass cracked.
>>>You can't put one of THOSE in an apartment. Weighs almost a ton when
>>>filled. It's still in the garage.
>>"A pint's a pound," Richard.  100 gallons of water weighs 800 pounds.
>Uhh, yeah. Why do I keep thinking there are 1000 pounds to a ton ? Harumpfh.
>>I certainly don't worry about 4 or 5 friends standing shoulder to
>>that, and it is in my second floor apartment.
>The difference is, with a waterbed, the load is spread out over
>a larger area. With a 100 gallon tank, the 800+ pounds is
>in a 2' x 5' area. Makes me nervous. I sorta like the
>people downstairs. :-)

I used to keep a 150 gallon aquarium in a second floor apartment.  It
made me a little nervous, but I never had any problem with it.  Just
don't tell the neighbors (or the managers if you rent).
                sdcsvax-\         ihnp4-\
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!nrc-ut!andre
                hplabs--/ ucbvax!calma-/        /
				utah-gr!uplherc/
Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C