[alt.aquaria] turning the filter off?

dalka@ihlpg.UUCP (11/30/87)

I have a salt water tank and I would like to get some filter-feeding
type invertebrates like anemones or scallops or both. I'm told that
what you do is add some liquid type food for them to sift out of
the water while turning the filter off for a couple of hours. Also,
I'm told that when adding trace elements and using the polyfilter
media instead of carbon you should turn the filter off or remove
the polyfilter for a day or two until the trace elements "mix up".
It recommends this on the polyfilter package. Anyway, I have a
canister filter so its difficult to just remove the polyfilter
so I assume I should just turn it off but won't the anerobic
bacteria die if I turn it off for too long like 2 days? I was
considering getting a timer and just turn it off in the evenings
for 4 hours or so when I expect be feeding the fish but am concerned
about the bacteria dying off.....
--

					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
					ihnp4!ihlpg!dalka

ix426@sdcc6.UUCP (12/01/87)

In article <4381@ihlpg.ATT.COM> dalka@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Ken Dalka) writes:
>I have a salt water tank and I would like to get some filter-feeding
>type invertebrates like anemones or scallops or both. I'm told that
>what you do is add some liquid type food for them to sift out of
>the water while turning the filter off for a couple of hours.

I would be very careful about turning off a filter when you have invert-
ibrates in the tank.  They are very sensitive to hydrogen sulfide, which
is a product of anaerobic processes.  Before I knew this, I killed an
anemone by running a (noisy) filter only when I was not home.  Of course,
I compounded the problem by closing the valve to the filter, which really
cranked up the anaerobics.  I think you will find if you put the liquid
food (like sea urchin eggs) in the water with the plastic part of a syringe
near the anemone that it will get plenty.

>I'm told that when adding trace elements and using the polyfilter

I haven't heard about adding trace elements, but one thing you should
know is that anemonae are extremely sensitive to copper.  If you have
ever treated a tank with copper, all the gravel and coral will forever
have enough trace copper to harm anemonae.  Commercially available
test kits for copper will
not reveal this as the anemonae are much more sensitive than the test.

>media instead of carbon you should turn the filter off or remove
>the polyfilter for a day or two until the trace elements "mix up".
>It recommends this on the polyfilter package. Anyway, I have a
>canister filter so its difficult to just remove the polyfilter
>so I assume I should just turn it off but won't the anerobic
>bacteria die if I turn it off for too long like 2 days?

Don't you mean the aerobic bacteria?  I would say that if you turn off
a filter for 2 days you should disconnect it from the tank and clean it
before reconnection.  In that time you could easily get enough H2S that
you could smell it.  This is very bad for invertibrates.

richard@gryphon.UUCP (12/03/87)

In article <4381@ihlpg.ATT.COM> dalka@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Ken Dalka) writes:
>I have a salt water tank and I would like to get some filter-feeding
>type invertebrates like anemones or scallops or both. I'm told that
>what you do is add some liquid type food for them to sift out of
>the water while turning the filter off for a couple of hours.

Yup. Thats why they're called filter feeders. They filter small
particles of food from the water.

>Also,
>I'm told that when adding trace elements and using the polyfilter
>media instead of carbon you should turn the filter off or remove
>the polyfilter for a day or two until the trace elements "mix up".
>It recommends this on the polyfilter package.

Doesn't make any sense to me, but if thats what the directions
say, then follow them. Perhaps they are concerned with  the
trace elements going into solution s l o w l y.

>Anyway, I have a
>canister filter so its difficult to just remove the polyfilter
>so I assume I should just turn it off but won't the anerobic
                                                     ^^^^^^^^
I think you mean aerobic. Anaerobic are the nasty H2S
producing ones.

>bacteria die if I turn it off for too long like 2 days?

Well, I would call the polyfilter people and find out why the
2 day deal. If its just to introduce the traces slowly, just
throw small amounts in, over a week.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."

halo@cognos.uucp (Hal O'Connell) (12/07/87)

In article <4381@ihlpg.ATT.COM> dalka@ihlpg.UUCP writes:
> Anyway, I have a
>canister filter so its difficult to just remove the polyfilter
>so I assume I should just turn it off but won't the anerobic
>bacteria die if I turn it off for too long like 2 days?

I can't imagine any reason for the anerobes to die. Well, perhaps
a couple, temperature or overcrowding (build up of wastes).

The circulation shouldn't be a factor. Anerobes don't require air
(hence the name). In a microbiology lab, anerobes, such as
Clostridium sporogenes (or botulinum) are cultured by stabbing
media to innoculate it and then placed in an incubator. As long as
they have food available (and they live off virtually anything)
they thrive, until waste buildup requires innoculating a new culture.

--
Hal O'Connell		decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!halo
Cognos Incorporated	P.O. Box 9707

In article <1948@cognos.UUCP> halo@cognos.UUCP (Hal) writes:
>In article <4381@ihlpg.ATT.COM> dalka@ihlpg.UUCP writes:
>> Anyway, I have a
>>canister filter so its difficult to just remove the polyfilter
>>so I assume I should just turn it off but won't the anerobic
>>bacteria die if I turn it off for too long like 2 days?
>
>I can't imagine any reason for the anerobes to die. Well, perhaps
>a couple, temperature or overcrowding (build up of wastes).
>
>The circulation shouldn't be a factor. Anerobes don't require air
>(hence the name). In a microbiology lab, anerobes, such as
>Clostridium sporogenes (or botulinum) are cultured by stabbing
>media to innoculate it and then placed in an incubator. As long as
>they have food available (and they live off virtually anything)
>they thrive, until waste buildup requires innoculating a new culture.

All well and good.

The "friendly" badteria that convert waste to inorganic compounds
are aerobic (low impact or otherwise :-).

Anaerobic bacteria are the nasty little buggers that foul the tank,
make black spots, and produce hydrogen sulphide. Ick, yuk, ptui!

--
"Well they say, that Santa Fe, is more, than 90 miles away"

UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!richard
INET: richard@gryphon.CTS.COM