[alt.aquaria] Information on filtration needed

greg@ncrcan.UUCP (12/07/87)

	I curretnly have a 75 gallon (CDN) tank.  I just recently installed
	a new filter system using an EHIEM 2014 with the apropriate substrates
	in the filter to do the type of filtering that I want.  My problem
	is this:

	Before switching over to this filter system, I was using the under-
	gravel filter with two 200 gallon per hour pumps to pump water from
	under the gravel bed and then through an external filter before
	returning the water to the tank.

	I still have the two powerheads installed and they now just circulate
	water in the tank after sucking it through the gravel in the bottom
	of the tank.  I also have the EHIEM filter sucking water from in the
	tank through the filter system and then back into the top of the tank.

	I would like to feed the water from the EHIEM filter back through
	the down tubes and up through the gravel, however, I am worried about
	the amonia levels in the tank going sky high if I just turn the water
	going through the down tubes around.

	Question(s):

		Is there anything wrong or potentially hazardous with the
		manner in which my tank is set up now?

		Can I switch the water flow in the down tubes around without
		risk life and fin of my fish?

	Notes:

		The water in my tank is currently crystal clear, the pH level
		is right where it should be as well as all the other chemical
		levels in the tank.  I've been using the EHIEM for only one
		week now and the tank was in perfect shape before I added the
		new filtering system.

--
 "Shit Happens!"

 +-------------------------------------------------------+-------------------+
 | UUCP:     ..!mnetor!utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!greg            | Greg Foisy        |
 | INTERNET: Greg.Foisy@Toronto.NCR.COM                  | NCR Canada Ltd.   |
 | CANPOST:  6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ont. L5N 2E2 | (416) 826-9000    |
 +-------------------------------------------------------+-------------------+

andre@nrc-ut.UUCP (Andre' Hut) (12/16/87)

In article <539@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> greg@ncrcan.UUCP writes:
>	I curretnly have a 75 gallon (CDN) tank.  I just recently installed
>	a new filter system using an EHIEM 2014 with the apropriate substrates
>	in the filter to do the type of filtering that I want.  My problem
>	is this:
>	I would like to feed the water from the EHIEM filter back through
>	the down tubes and up through the gravel, however, I am worried about
>	the amonia levels in the tank going sky high if I just turn the water
>	going through the down tubes around.

	Why should the direction of the water through the undergravel filter
	effect the ammonia level of the tank.  The water under the filter should
	be chemically about the same as the water above it.  After all, the
	water under is pumped back up isn't it?  You will probably shake loose
	some material when you switch it around, but that should soon settle
	back into one of the filters.

>	Question(s):
>		Is there anything wrong or potentially hazardous with the
>		manner in which my tank is set up now?

	Probably not.  But I happen to like reverse UG filters.

>		Can I switch the water flow in the down tubes around without
>		risk life and fin of my fish?

	Like I said, I don't see why it should be a problem.  If you are worried,
	monitor the water with one of the available Ammonia test kits.

	--Andre
                sdcsvax-\         ihnp4-\
                         \               \
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!nrc-ut!andre
                         /              /        /
                hplabs--/ ucbvax!calma-/        /
				utah-gr!uplherc/
Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C
Salt Lake City, Utah 84117

In article <539@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> greg@ncrcan.UUCP writes:

>	I curretnly have a 75 gallon (CDN) tank.

Fresh or salt water ? I'm assuming it's freshwater.

>       I just recently installed
>	a new filter system using an EHIEM 2014 with the apropriate substrates
>	in the filter to do the type of filtering that I want.  My problem
>	is this:
>
>	Before switching over to this filter system, I was using the under-
>	gravel filter with two 200 gallon per hour pumps to pump water from
>	under the gravel bed and then through an external filter before
>	returning the water to the tank.
>
>	I still have the two powerheads installed and they now just circulate
>	water in the tank after sucking it through the gravel in the bottom
>	of the tank.  I also have the EHIEM filter sucking water from in the
>	tank through the filter system and then back into the top of the tank.
>
>	I would like to feed the water from the EHIEM filter back through
>	the down tubes and up through the gravel, however, I am worried about
>	the amonia levels in the tank going sky high if I just turn the water
>	going through the down tubes around.
>
>	Question(s):
>
>		Is there anything wrong or potentially hazardous with the
>		manner in which my tank is set up now?

No, I wouldn't say so.

>		Can I switch the water flow in the down tubes around without
>		risk life and fin of my fish?

I think I's stir the gravel up and diatom it to get it as clean as possible
and THEN do as you propose. But I cannot see any advantage to do what
you are proposing.

>	Notes:
>
>		The water in my tank is currently crystal clear, the pH level
>		is right where it should be as well as all the other chemical
>		levels in the tank.  I've been using the EHIEM for only one
>		week now and the tank was in perfect shape before I added the
>		new filtering system.

"Don't fix what ain't broken"

> "Shit Happens!"

Don't it, though ?

P.S. You might try the Mississauga Aquarium Society, there are a lot
of very in the know people there.

--
"Well they say, that Santa Fe, is more, than 90 miles away"

UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!richard
INET: richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

andre@nrc-ut.UUCP (Andre' Hut) (12/18/87)

In article <2598@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <539@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> greg@ncrcan.UUCP writes:
>>	I would like to feed the water from the EHIEM filter back through
>>	the down tubes and up through the gravel, however, I am worried about
>>	the amonia levels in the tank going sky high if I just turn the water
>>	going through the down tubes around.
>>	Question(s):
>>		Is there anything wrong or potentially hazardous with the
>>		manner in which my tank is set up now?
>No, I wouldn't say so.
>>
>>		Can I switch the water flow in the down tubes around without
>>		risk life and fin of my fish?
>I think I's stir the gravel up and diatom it to get it as clean as possible
>and THEN do as you propose. But I cannot see any advantage to do what
>you are proposing.

This is a *good* way to upset the biological function of the undergravel filter.
If you stir it all up and diatom it, then you will see an ammonia cycle!

                sdcsvax-\         ihnp4-\
                         \               \

In article <369@nrc-ut.UUCP> andre@nrc-ut.UUCP (Andre' Hut) writes:

>>I think I's stir the gravel up and diatom it to get it as clean as possible
>>and THEN do as you propose. But I cannot see any advantage to do what
>>you are proposing.
>
>This is a *good* way to upset the biological function of the undergravel filter.
>If you stir it all up and diatom it, then you will see an ammonia cycle!

Good, I'd love to see an ammonia cycle. All I usually get to see is bi-cycles.

Seriously, what are you talking about ? What is an "ammonia cycle" ?

I usually drain half to a third of the water. Scrape all the algae off (and
make spinich lasagna) and by this time the water is pretty stirred up
from all the muck. I throw the diatom filter on it, and add new water.
At this poiny I stir up the gravel a bit, wait 10 min. for the gravel
to clear up, and repeat four or five times.

Now, if you are saying that by stirring up the gravel you will see
a rise in the ammonia level, something isn't right here. I thought
all that ammonia was being converted to nitr*tes, so where is the
ammonia coming from ?

And besides, if its in the undergravel filter bed, which has
water constantly passing over it, wouldnt any ammonia already
be in solutiion ?

Explain please.

--
       "Well they say, that Santa Fe, is more, than 90 miles away"

{ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!richard || richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

andre@nrc-ut.UUCP (Andre' Hut) (12/22/87)

In article <2642@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <369@nrc-ut.UUCP> andre@nrc-ut.UUCP (Andre' Hut) writes:
>>>I think I's stir the gravel up and diatom it to get it as clean as possible
>>>and THEN do as you propose. But I cannot see any advantage to do what
>>>you are proposing.
>>This is a *good* way to upset the biological function of the undergravel filter.
>>If you stir it all up and diatom it, then you will see an ammonia cycle!
>Good, I'd love to see an ammonia cycle.
>Seriously, what are you talking about ? What is an "ammonia cycle" ?

Fish produce waste products.  The main toxin in those waste products is ammonia.
The undergravel filters job is to process those ammonia ions into nitrates.  First
of all, you need sufficient amounts of the right bacteria living in your gravel
to do the job.  Once that is established, the bacteria will convert the ammonia
into nitrites (another toxin), and finally nitrates (also a toxin, but not nearly
so dangerous).  The nitrates will be converted by plant action into plant material
(food) and oxygen which some fish eat.  ...The ammonia cycle...

To "see" an ammonia cycle, you need the appropriate test kits.  These are
usually sold for salt water aquaria.

>I usually drain half to a third of the water. Scrape all the algae off (and
>make spinich lasagna) and by this time the water is pretty stirred up
>from all the muck. I throw the diatom filter on it, and add new water.
>At this poiny I stir up the gravel a bit, wait 10 min. for the gravel
>to clear up, and repeat four or five times.

Stirring a bit is ok, it will allow a clogged UG filter to get a flow going again.
Really going at it, to make it all look squeeky clean will upset the bacteria
colonies, and you will get a rise in the ammonia level.

>Now, if you are saying that by stirring up the gravel you will see
>a rise in the ammonia level, something isn't right here. I thought
>all that ammonia was being converted to nitr*tes, so where is the
>ammonia coming from ?

Fish shit.
                sdcsvax-\         ihnp4-\