[alt.aquaria] Moving your fish

sword@vu-vlsi.UUCP (David Talmage) (01/20/88)

This is quite an interesting group.  Not a bit of noise!

A question from a casual reader:  If you had to move, say across town or
to another city, what would you do to ensure the health and safety of your
fish?

I imagine it would be pretty difficult to maintain water temperature and
oxygen content in the tank if you put it in your car, especially if you
move in the winter and/or you're moving several hours driving time away.

David Talmage
Villanova University
University Computing and Information Services

UUCP: sword@vu-vlsi, talmage@excalibur
Bitnet: talmage@vuvaxcom
Arpa-gate: talmage%vuvaxcom.bitnet@a-gateway-near-you

farrens@american.WISC.EDU (Matthew Farrens) (01/21/88)

In article <1304@vu-vlsi.UUCP> sword@vu-vlsi.UUCP (David Talmage) writes:
>A question from a casual reader:  If you had to move, say across town or
>to another city, what would you do to ensure the health and safety of your
>fish?

	The owner of the fish store we frequent the most says to buy big
plastic garbage cans, drain your tanks into them, put the fish in, and you will
have no trouble.  He claims that some of his customers used this method to move
their fish a long ways (Sorry, I don't remember how far, but it was >>> across
town) and only lost one.  When we moved in October we used his idea except we
left our fish in a little bit of water in the bottom of the tanks and just
brought along their water.  I know, I know, we got lucky never move glass tanks
with water in them they will probably break now etc., but we lost nary a fish
and we have well over 100.  (various tanks, obviously)  Large amounts of water
have a high thermal mass, and I think it really helps reduce stress on the fish
to put them back into "their" water.  Moving is enough of a strain, let alone
being introduced to a whole new batch of water.

MF, HSF (Harry Sullivan Fan)

gringort@decwrl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) (01/21/88)

In article <1304@vu-vlsi.UUCP> sword@vu-vlsi.UUCP (David Talmage) writes:

>A question from a casual reader:  If you had to move, say across town or
>to another city, what would you do to ensure the health and safety of your
>fish?
>
>I imagine it would be pretty difficult to maintain water temperature and
>oxygen content in the tank if you put it in your car, especially if you
>move in the winter and/or you're moving several hours driving time away.

I think it was FAMA magazine that had these suggestions.  The last suggestion
is my own.

- use styrofoam (sp?) coolers for tanks.  They're cheap and insulative!

- if heat is needed, mount  a 12 Volt lamp on the inside of the cover.  Some
  experimentation is needed to select the right size.
  [however, if you keep your car interior temperature at 80 degrees, then
   your containers won't need to be heated]

- if air is needed, use a battery operated bait airator.
  [However, with all of the surface disturbance from road noise, it's
  doubtful that you'd need more airation.]
--
                          -joel