[alt.aquaria] Growing Brine Shrimp to Adulthood

sabol@reed.UUCP (Bryan Sabol) (01/18/88)

Has anyone been successful in growing brine shrimp to adulthood? From
what I've seen, most people feed them to their fish right after they
'hatch', but I'd rather see if I could continue their growth until
they're fully adults.
	I've talked to some people here in the Pac. NW, but all have
said that trying to grow them that long is more of a pain than the final
outcome. Anyone have any relatively easy solutions?

Thanx in advance,

Bryan Sabol
Reedie at Large

In article <8072@reed.UUCP> sabol@reed.UUCP (Bryan Sabol) writes:
>Has anyone been successful in growing brine shrimp to adulthood? From
>what I've seen, most people feed them to their fish right after they
>'hatch', but I'd rather see if I could continue their growth until
>they're fully adults.
>	I've talked to some people here in the Pac. NW, but all have
>said that trying to grow them that long is more of a pain than the final
>outcome. Anyone have any relatively easy solutions?

I've done it, but the yields are terrible. Brine shrimp need two
things: cool water, and plenty of oxygen in that cool water. So start
out with a kids wading pool filled with 55 degree water.

Now throw in a cupfull of baby brine shrimp.  They easy either
"green soup" (suspended algae) or zooplankton. Good luck growing
either.

The disadvantage is that while baby brine shrimp are an excellent
source of nutrition, the adults are mostly husk and shell and
are a relativly poor source of nutrition.

Besides, you can buy 1000's of the buggers for $0.79, so why bother ?

--
         "...and the morning sun has yet to ride my hood ornament"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

gringort@decwrl.dec.com (Joel Gringorten) (01/21/88)

In article <2200@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton)
writes:
>	[concerning brine shrimp]
>Besides, you can buy 1000's of the buggers for $0.79, so why bother ?

Brine shrimp in the SF Bay area has become incredibly difficult to find
lately.  What little information I've been able to gather is that some
goverment body has decreed that removing brine shrimp from the ocean (bay?)
could be having environmental impact.  Based on this, they revoked the
local suppliers permit for 90% of his shrimp gathering sites.

Can anybody add-to/substantiate/deny any of this?

Can anybody suggest an alternate easily obtainable food source for picky
eaters?  In particular I have a new juneville Emperator Angel that seems
to want only live brine shrimp.  (I understand that they eat live coral
polyps in the wild, but we won't go into that).
--
                          -joel

In article <249@bacchus.DEC.COM> gringort@decwrl.UUCP (Joel Gringorten) writes:
>In article <2200@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton)
>writes:
>>	[concerning brine shrimp]
>>Besides, you can buy 1000's of the buggers for $0.79, so why bother ?
>>

>Brine shrimp in the SF Bay area has become incredibly difficult to find
>lately.  What little information I've been able to gather is that some
>goverment body has decreed that removing brine shrimp from the ocean (bay?)
>could be having environmental impact.  Based on this, they revoked the
>local suppliers permit for 90% of his shrimp gathering sites.
>
>Can anybody add-to/substantiate/deny any of this?

Brine shrimp are still plentifull and cheap in the L.A. area.

>Can anybody suggest an alternate easily obtainable food source for picky
>eaters?  In particular I have a new juneville Emperator Angel that seems
>to want only live brine shrimp.  (I understand that they eat live coral
>polyps in the wild, but we won't go into that).

Well, there are a few things you can culture - wingless fruit flies,
white worms, daphnia. They all have their drawbacks. The flies
eventually revert back to the winged variety unless you keep them
cool, I've been told, making you real unpopular with whoever
you live. The white worms also like it cool and are rather rich.
Daphnia arn't a great source of nutrition. And of course, none
of them live in saltwater. Sigh.

I did read once about a finicky red-sea butterfly that was persuaded
to eat by taking a small piece of (brain ? rose ?) coral and putting
some frozen brine shrimp on it, letting it dry a bit, and placing
it in the tank.  It was supposed to simulate live coral polyps,
and apparantly worked.

Nice choice of angels. I never could make up my mind which was
my favorite, the Imperial or the navarchus.

--
      "...and before too long I might, see those flashing red lights"