[alt.aquaria] Feeding Chinese Algea Eaters

henry_k@apollo.uucp (Keith E. Henry) (01/11/88)

What would all you experienced aquaria owners recommend feeding
a Chinese algea eater once all the algea is gone?  Mine never
seem to eat the flake food I feed all the other fish and usually
die in short order.

/keith

halo@cognos.uucp (Hal O'Connell) (01/18/88)

In article <399c04a8.c998@apollo.uucp> henry_k@apollo.UUCP (Keith E. Henry) writes:
>What would all you experienced aquaria owners recommend feeding
>a Chinese algea eater once all the algea is gone?  Mine never
>seem to eat the flake food I feed all the other fish and usually
>die in short order.

Chinese algae eaters are a fish I seem to do well with. The first fish
I ever bought was an algae eater, and it lived for just over ten years
(no joke, 1973-1983).

I have found that they are happy if the tank is reasonably well planted
and lit. Algae is not always obvious, but with plants it's generally
always there. If you cannot keep plants alive, as well as algae eaters,
increase the lighting in the tank.

And my algae eaters due consume flake food, but they seem quite
selective. They do prefer (it seems) the vegetable portion, so if
your flake food contains vegetable matter it can be used. (Mollie's
have similar requirements, so if you are successful with them, algae eaters
are easy...). Another possibility is lettuce, or boiled spinach,
but you will probably have infusoria "flowerings", or other problems.
I wouldn't recommend it.

Are you sure they are dying of malnutrition? Mind you, mine
have been so hardy that it doesn't seem likely that they would
succumb faster than other fish. So I suspect you are right.

--
Hal O'Connell		decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!halo
Cognos Incorporated	P.O. Box 9707

greg@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Greg Foisy) (01/22/88)

In article <2088@cognos.UUCP> halo@cognos.UUCP (Hal) writes:
>In article <399c04a8.c998@apollo.uucp> henry_k@apollo.UUCP (Keith E. Henry) writes:
>>What would all you experienced aquaria owners recommend feeding
>>a Chinese algea eater once all the algea is gone?  Mine never
>>seem to eat the flake food I feed all the other fish and usually
>>die in short order.

>And my algae eaters due consume flake food, but they seem quite
>selective. They do prefer (it seems) the vegetable portion, so if
>your flake food contains vegetable matter it can be used. (Mollie's
>have similar requirements, so if you are successful with them, algae eaters
>are easy...). Another possibility is lettuce, or boiled spinach,
>but you will probably have infusoria "flowerings", or other problems.
>I wouldn't recommend it.

	I feed mine canned green beans.  They seem to really like the
	stuff.  You can get small cut portions in cans.  I keep some
	in the fridge and feed it to them over the course of a month.

--
 "Shit Happens!"

 +-------------------------------------------------------+-------------------+
 | UUCP:     ..!mnetor!utzoo!lsuc!ncrcan!greg            | Greg Foisy        |
 | INTERNET: Greg.Foisy@Toronto.NCR.COM                  | NCR Canada Ltd.   |
 | CANPOST:  6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ont. L5N 2E2 | (416) 826-9000    |
 +-------------------------------------------------------+-------------------+

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (01/22/88)

In article <2088@cognos.UUCP>, halo@cognos (Hal O'Connell) writes:
>	        Another possibility is lettuce, or boiled spinach,
> but you will probably have infusoria "flowerings", or other problems.
> I wouldn't recommend it.

How does one feed lettuce and other leaves to fish?  Boiled, scalded, raw?
Put in whole, in large chunks, little chunks, or shredded into little
flake-size pieces (which are impossible to recover if uneaten...)?  Floated
on top or made to sink to the bottom?

-- Ashwin Ram --

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

In article <21755@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
>In article <2088@cognos.UUCP>, halo@cognos (Hal O'Connell) writes:
>>	        Another possibility is lettuce, or boiled spinach,
>> but you will probably have infusoria "flowerings", or other problems.
>> I wouldn't recommend it.
>
>How does one feed lettuce and other leaves to fish?  Boiled, scalded, raw?
>Put in whole, in large chunks, little chunks, or shredded into little
>flake-size pieces (which are impossible to recover if uneaten...)?  Floated
>on top or made to sink to the bottom?

Weight the lettuce with a rock.  Remove promptly as it will foul the water
in short order.

Fresh is best.

--
      "...and before too long I might, see those flashing red lights"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

henry_k@apollo.uucp (Keith E. Henry) (01/26/88)

Thanks to all who responded concerning the feeding of Chinese Algea
Eaters.  The canned green beans have done the trick - the little
bugger just loves 'em.

/keh