[alt.aquaria] Feeding Leaves to Fish

whitling@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Donna Whitlinger) (01/26/88)

In article <21755@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram)
writes:
>In article <2088@cognos.UUCP>, halo@cognos (Hal O'Connell) writes:
>How does one feed lettuce and other leaves to fish?  Boiled, scalded, raw?
>Put in whole, in large chunks, little chunks, or shredded into little
>flake-size pieces (which are impossible to recover if uneaten...)?  Floated
>on top or made to sink to the bottom?

This has worked for us.  Get a set of those magnets which you're supposed
to use to clean algae off the side of your tank (I suppose any magnets
would do).  Anchor a piece of lettuce or whatever between the two magnets
and place on the bottom of the tank.  Viola! Instant lettuce plant.  When
the fish have eaten enough, remove the magnets & remaining lettuce.

Donna Whitlinger
Rutgers University
..!rutgers!andromeda!whitling