[alt.aquaria] Mollies, and plants

hanks@yale.UUCP (Steve Hanks) (01/27/88)

We have a very pedestrian but happy aquarium, containing
some Platties, some Mollies, some Guppies, some Plants,
some Rocks.....

We have just a couple of problems that we could use some
help with.  First of all the Mollies don't seem to be
growing as well as the rest of the fish.  In fact out of a
crop of 10 to 15 babies born about three months ago only
four have survived, and they are none too big.  (This is in
marked contrast to the Platties born at about the same
time, most of which survived and are now full grown.)
In fact most of the Mollies just seemed to waste away
and die horrible deaths, though there was nothing visibly
wrong with them.  The rest of the fish in the aquarium
(including a full-grown Mollie) seem very happy indeed.
Any idea as to what might be keeping the babies small
and sickly?

Second question:  though most of our plants are thriving,
we have one kind of reddish plant (rotella something...?)
that has lost all its lower leaves but still seems to be
growing OK on top.  We suspect that the fish may be munching
on the leaves.  Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
(Feeding the fish more is out of the question....they eat
like little aquatic pigs as it is.)

Many thanks,
Steve.

case@ptsfa.UUCP (John Case) (01/28/88)

In article <22021@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, hanks@yale.UUCP (Steve Hanks) writes:

> help with.  First of all the Mollies don't seem to be
> growing as well as the rest of the fish.  In fact out of a
> crop of 10 to 15 babies born about three months ago only
> four have survived, and they are none too big.  (This is in
..
> and die horrible deaths, though there was nothing visibly
> wrong with them.  The rest of the fish in the aquarium
> (including a full-grown Mollie) seem very happy indeed.
> Any idea as to what might be keeping the babies small
> and sickly?

=         John Case - Pacific Bell                         =
= What does not kill you makes you stronger - Conan the B  =

In article <22021@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> hanks@yale.UUCP (Steve Hanks) writes:
>We have a very pedestrian but happy aquarium, containing
>some Platties, some Mollies, some Guppies, some Plants,
>some Rocks.....
>
>We have just a couple of problems that we could use some
>help with.  First of all the Mollies don't seem to be
>growing as well as the rest of the fish.

[stuff deleted]

>Second question:  though most of our plants are thriving,
>we have one kind of reddish plant (rotella something...?)
>that has lost all its lower leaves but still seems to be
>growing OK on top.  We suspect that the fish may be munching
>on the leaves.  Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
>(Feeding the fish more is out of the question....they eat
>like little aquatic pigs as it is.)
>
>Many thanks,
>Steve.

Mollies are primarily Herbivores. There is a good chance they are
not getting enough plant material. Also, they like some salt in the
water, have an unusually high oxygen requirement and require more
space than most fish do.

They seldon attain their normal size indoors, and chances are those
nice big ones you saw in a store were raised in a green pool, outdoors.

Apart from that they are perfect beginners fish.

Just like Discus.

--
      "...and before too long I might, see those flashing red lights"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

halo@cognos.uucp (Hal O'Connell) (02/01/88)

In article <22021@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> hanks@yale.UUCP (Steve Hanks) writes:

>We have just a couple of problems that we could use some
>help with.  First of all the Mollies don't seem to be
>growing as well as the rest of the fish.  In fact out of a
>crop of 10 to 15 babies born about three months ago only
>four have survived, and they are none too big.
>Any idea as to what might be keeping the babies small
>and sickly?

I remember reading in one of the many aquarium guides I seem to have
accumulated that Mollies need a little salt in the water, especially
for the fry.

A friend of mine, who has had considerable success breeding a line black
sailfin veil tails keeps them in slightly brackish water (I forget
the exact ratio of salt). Mind you, she keeps Mollies exclusively,
and has not tried mixing other breeds with them. But it seems to
me that a little salt can go a long way, especially with Poecilidae.

--
Hal O'Connell		decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!halo
Cognos Incorporated	P.O. Box 9707