[alt.aquaria] Bettas and other fish?

ss60w@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (ss60w) (01/30/88)

Pardon me if this has been discussed before, but is it
possible to have Bettas together in a tank with other
freshwater tropical fish?  I know they can't coexist with
each other, but do they go after guppies, mollies, etc.?

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (02/02/88)

In article <986@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU> ss60w@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (ss60w) writes:
>...is it possible to have Bettas together in a tank with other freshwater
>tropical fish?

A qualified "yes." Most people I know who have kept one male betta in their
community tank have been happy with it, and my books all say that they work
out just fine. Others I know have reported disaster; in particular bettas seem
to attack mollies consistently.

On the other hand, the community tank may be harmful to the betta. They like
water much warmer than most other popular fish; cold water makes them sluggish
and less able to defend themselves. And their elaborate finnage and coloration
makes them a target for other carnivores, particularly angelfish; they tend to
get their fins shreaded, which invites desease.

I've been keeping a small albino catfish with my betta, a relationship that
worked out well after the initial pecking order was established (literally).

<csg>

In article <986@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU> ss60w@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (ss60w) writes:

>Pardon me if this has been discussed before, but is it
>possible to have Bettas together in a tank with other
>freshwater tropical fish?  I know they can't coexist with
>each other, but do they go after guppies, mollies, etc.?

Bettas are so slow and placid (except to each other) that they
almost always get their fins chewed off.

Especially by livebearers, barbs, tetras, cichlids, gobies....

Come to think of it, I cant think of too many fish that can resist
the sight of a tasty morsal like a betta tail.

--
             "... Look out momma, 'cause I'm coming home tonight."
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

halo@cognos.uucp (Hal O'Connell) (02/08/88)

In article <986@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU> ss60w@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (ss60w) writes:

>Pardon me if this has been discussed before, but is it
>possible to have Bettas together in a tank with other
>freshwater tropical fish?  I know they can't coexist with
>each other, but do they go after guppies, mollies, etc.?

I don't remember seeing it, and I've been an avid reader since
the newsgroups inception (although I don't date back to the rec.* days).
Besides, I can't see any reason for you to not ask, even if it
had been previously discussed. This seems to be a newsgroup which
does a very good job of sharing, rather than getting into vituperant
discussions and nitpicking. Hat's off to everyone...

I usually maintain a male (and I assume you mean male) Betta in
my community aquarium, side by side with everything from angel fish,
to neons, to guppies (in abundance, I was breeding them for a local
club). Usually it was the Betta that came out on the short end of
a confrontation, since it is a VERY slow swimmer. Other fish would
occassionally nip fins, and Betta fins are an attractive target.

You can keep multiple female Bettas in the same tank, even with a
male Betta, but the male will tend to harrass the females, so if you
aren't trying to breed them it isn't a good idea. And if you are
trying to breed them keeping the females apart until they are ready
to breed is a good plan. Please don't ask me to expand on this,
Bettas are one of the few Anabantids I haven't seen bred successfully.

--
Hal O'Connell		decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!halo
Cognos Incorporated	P.O. Box 9707