[alt.aquaria] Moving

steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) (02/08/88)

	About a year ago I moved all of my fish from a 30 gallon
	tank to a 55 gallon.  Now most of the fish had no problem
	in adjusting to this.  However I have a HUGE Black Ghost
	Knife Fish, which took all of a few weeks to adjust to and
	to be honest I was very surprized the it survived this
	move.  Now this was from one side of the room to another.

	In a few weeks I will be moving across town and I do not
	want to lose this fish!  I am looking for suggestions
	people might have in making this move gracefully.  Another
	problem being I live in Wisconsin, this will mean the
	temperature outside around  the time of moving will be
	somewhere between 20 - 30 degrees F.  Hopefully warmer,
	but I would believe from the past weather that this would
	not be likely.

	Another problem will be that I have 2 days to make this move
	so any tank I may set up in the new home will not have more
	than a day for the water to sit.  Not to mention this will
	all have to be done very quickly seeing as I have many other
	things to do associated with this move.  Suggestion?

	I do have a few tanks around and some alot of equipment.

--
Steven Goodman                               |
Lake Systems   Milwaukee, Wisconsin          |      "A smart man talks,

arriflex@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Fister) (02/09/88)

All I can say is break down your fish tank last and set it up
in the new place first.  Bring as much water from the old tank as
you can.  I transport my fish in a 5 gal. bucket, they get air stones
and heat as soon as there is power.  I set up the tank with the old
water and some new water.  Don't rush puting the fish in the new
tank, make sure everything is stable before you start throwing fish
in.  DO THE BAG THING  One time I put neons in first then put my
large Angles in.
		they loved the dinner i had for them
		in their new home.

					G.E.Fister
					(312) 979-6927

agd@homxb.UUCP (A.DEACON) (02/09/88)

In article <436@lakesys.UUCP>, steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) writes:

> 	In a few weeks I will be moving across town and I do not
> 	want to lose this fish!  I am looking for suggestions
> 	people might have in making this move gracefully.  Another
> 	problem being I live in Wisconsin, this will mean the
> 	temperature outside around  the time of moving will be
> 	somewhere between 20 - 30 degrees F.  Hopefully warmer,
> 	but I would believe from the past weather that this would
> 	not be likely.
>
> Steven Goodman                               |
> Lake Systems   Milwaukee, Wisconsin          |      "A smart man talks,
> 1 (414) 744-7033                             |       a wise man listens"
> UUCP:  {ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!steven  |

Some suggestions on moving fish taken off the ATF FORUM:

Pick up an O2 cylinder at a pharmacy, bag the fish, and go!

SAVE the WATER: you can put it back in the tank and minimize
the shock to the fish. Then you can initiate  water changes
after 24 hours.

If you have a UGF, keep the gravel damp (under some water) and
do not expose the tanks to sunlight.

When you get to the new destination, put the old water back in the
tanks, and float the fish in the bags just like the first time
you got them. OH, and keep the bags out of the sun, unless you like
boiled fish!

When I moved about a year and a half ago, this is the way I handled it.

1.  I got a friend and a large vehicle into which we loaded all my empty tanks
(about 20 of them) and moved them all to the new place.

2.  We came back and siphoned the water of the remaining five tanks (I knew I
was going to be moving well before hand and dissapated my stock) into various
clean containers--a number of five gallon jugs, and some plastic garbage pails
with new liners.  (If you use garbage pails fill them only about half
full--they'll weigh a ton!)  When we had siphoned about 2/3 of the water from
each tank, we captured the inhabitants and bagged them and placed them in
several coolers.  Then we siphoned the rest of the water and threw it out,
leaving about 2-3 inches in each tank.  We then loaded the water an fish and
moved them.

3.  We then moved the tanks to the new place and placed them in position (in
the cellar--previous arrangemnts had already been made and I didn't require
stands anymore), filled them with the saved water, and acclimated the fish back
into them.  After about a week, I did a complete water change filling the tanks
to the proper level.

All this was done prior to the real move about a week later so I didn't have to
worry about the fish as well as everything else.  The new place was about 30
mins. from the old.

There is more information available if you would like me to
retrieve it for you.

Art Deacon
ihnp4!homxb!agd

Well, let's see.  If it were MY black ghost knife fish I'd probably
do this or something like this:

Buy two plastic garbage pails. Put them in the bathtub of
the new abode and run water through them for 12 - 24 hours
(I'm paranoid and want to leech all those wierd plastic
compounds out).

Use 1 as a moving tank and 1 as a holding tank.

Put a heater in the one that is in the
new abode, and an aerator.  The fish can live
in here until you get the new tank
set up.

Use the other one as a moving tank. Siphon off water from
the tank the fish is now in, place the fish in it, put
the thing in the car, set the car heater on high, drive
to new abode, move fish to other garbage paiil.

When you have your new tank set up move him in.

I probably dont need to tell you how difficly ghost knives
can be. They have a 'sonar' system like mormyrids, and are
very sensitive to electrolyte balance.  They also like
real softe acid water, which most people don't provide
(although them seem to do ok in spite of that)

The natives of the Amazon believe the sould of their
ancestors inhabit these fish, and try whenever possible
to prevent collectors from taking them.

--
               "It's too dark to put my legs in my munitions"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM