[alt.aquaria] Building aquariums

dy0b+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Yozie) (03/19/88)

I once constructed an aquarium from simple plexiglass and aquarium sealant.  It
was very sturdy and didn't leak, but the plexiglass got scratched and began to
warp after about seven months of use.  Making an aquarium out of glass,
however, would probably be more trouble than it's worth since it would be
difficult to cut and you would probably have to put some sort of frame around
the cut edges.

However, I have had considerable success building indoor 'ponds' for goldfish
and coi.  If you're interested in such an endeavor, let me know.

In article <8WEMmIy00UgkQdjkgs@andrew.cmu.edu> dy0b+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Yozie) writes:
>I once constructed an aquarium from simple plexiglass and aquarium sealant.  It
>was very sturdy and didn't leak, but the plexiglass got scratched and began to
>warp after about seven months of use.

Yup. Thats what happens if you dont use thick enough plexiglass and dont make
add a suppurt either in the middle or glue a top onto it.

>Making an aquarium out of glass,
>however, would probably be more trouble than it's worth since it would be
>difficult to cut and you would probably have to put some sort of frame around
>the cut edges.

More trouble than it's worth ?  Golly. Care to explain that ?

If you know how to cut a piece of glass its no trouble of all. I find
it much easier to work in glass than plexiglass.

>However, I have had considerable success building indoor 'ponds' for goldfish
>and coi.  If you're interested in such an endeavor, let me know.

     koi

--
            "It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition"
                        richard@gryphon.CTS.COM