[alt.aquaria] Cleaning a tank with a UGF

sjencso@bbn.com (Steve Jencso) (04/01/88)

I am about to rip one of my tanks down for Sping Cleaning. It contains an
undergravel filter.

Being this is my first tank with a UGF, should the plate be removed when
the tank is cleaned or will this destroy the bacteria build-up underneath?

Steve Jencso

In article <22888@bbn.COM> sjencso@cc6.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Steve Jencso) writes:

>I am about to rip one of my tanks down for Sping Cleaning. It contains an
>undergravel filter.
>
>Being this is my first tank with a UGF, should the plate be removed when
>the tank is cleaned or will this destroy the bacteria build-up underneath?

All i do is rip everything out, and diatom the tank. The bacteria are
covering the gravel not living underneath it.

-------------------------------

Curing wood: soak it in water for a long time, preferably months.
Just any old wood you find lying around is no good. Well weathered
wood from a lake is ok, but ceder or cyrpess root are worth seeking out
as they leach active beneficial biological compounds into the water.

-----------------------------------

Live rock is a matrix of rock and marine organisms. It is usually small
pieces of rock infested with marine plume worms, and all other sorts
of invertibrates. If you buy it in the store you get what you see. If
you can order a box full of the stuff from a collector in Florida you
may get shrimp, snails, fish, who knows what...

--
                    Remember me. Toggle my taco.
   richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                  rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (04/04/88)

In article <22888@bbn.COM>, sjencso@bbn (Steve Jencso) writes:

> I am about to rip one of my tanks down for Sping Cleaning. It contains an
> undergravel filter.
>
> Being this is my first tank with a UGF, should the plate be removed when
> the tank is cleaned or will this destroy the bacteria build-up underneath?

The bacteria live in the gravel (more accurately, on the surface of the gravel
particles) that sits on the UGF.  In fact, most of the bacterial population
lives on the upper third of the gravel.  Removing the UGF plate, therefore,
won't destroy your bacteria.

However, washing the gravel DOES destroy a lot of bacteria.  Gentle rinsing with
slightly cool water is recommended unless you really need to wash the gravel
well for other reasons.  Ditto for the UGF itself.

-- Ashwin.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

andre@nrc-ut.UUCP (Andre' Hut) (04/05/88)

In article <22888@bbn.COM> sjencso@cc6.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Steve Jencso) writes:
>...Sping Cleaning...
>Being this is my first tank with a UGF, should the plate be removed when
>the tank is cleaned or will this destroy the bacteria build-up underneath?

The bacteria are in the gravel, not underneath.  It should be ok, just don't
overwash the gravel, and save some of the water from your tank to put back in.
                sdcsvax-\         ihnp4-\
Andre' Hut              sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!nrc-ut!andre
                hplabs--/ ucbvax!calma-/        /
				utah-gr!uplherc/
Network Research Corporation
923 Executive Park Dr. Suite C