[alt.aquaria] heaters

acphssrw@csuna.UUCP (Stephen R. Walton) (05/05/88)

In article <3765@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <21623@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>
>>My second heater in six weeks is now dying
>
>Whats the heater for ? I didnt even use them in canada.

Oddly enough, I think heaters are more needed in S. Cal. than in
colder climes, because houses in the latter usually have decent
heating and insulation and thus smaller interior temperature swings.
(People always looked at me funny when I said I slept under blankets
in Hawaii until I pointed out that my house was unheated and
uninsulated and that when it got down to 60 outside it was 60 in my
bedroom too!)
   So, some numbers?  Let's say your house gets up to 80 during the
day and drops to 60 at night.  What kind of temperature swings would
you see in an aquarium of various sizes?  Larger ones would be more
stable, of course (smaller surface area to volume ratio).
   All of this reminds of a story of my own:  I had a 29-gallon mixed
tank (gouramis, barbs, corydoras, tetras, guppies, etc.) back in NJ.
One winter day we lost power for most of the day, so no heat in the
house (it was below freezing outside).  Fortunately, we had a gas water
heater so we still had hot water.  Every hour or so I drew a gallon of
hot water from the tap and added it slowly to the aquarium to keep its
temperature up.  It was still a fairly rapid swing from about 70 to 80
degrees, but I only lost one fish.   Keep it in mind if you're in
similar straits.

Stephen Walton, representing myself		swalton@solar.stanford.edu
Cal State, Northridge				rckg01m@calstate.BITNET

In article <24179@bbn.COM> sjencso@cc6.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Steve Jencso) writes:

>I have recently discovered the discounts available through mail-order.
>The magazine 'Freshwater and Marine Aquarium' has ads from several
>mail-order houses. I was amazed at the markup in the retail pet stores.
>For example, the Hagen AquaClear 200 sells in stores around here for
>$28-$30, I found it for $15.

Yeah, Diatom XL filter, locally $90, mail order $45. GAK.

>As for heaters, there are cold winters up here in the NorthEast and without
>heaters my fish would end up doing the back float. As a warning, I have had
>problems with Supreme heaters. The thermostat occasionally gets stuck and
>you end up having boiled fish for supper.  The tank has to be monitored
>closely when you use a heater to prevent this from happening.

I guess the reason I got away without heaters in canada was that
after an errant home made airlift outside filter dumped the contents
of a 10 gal tank all over my hardwood bedroom floor and caused it
to heave, dear old dad and I sectioned off a part of the basement,
put up walls and piped in a heating duct. *poof* instant fishroom.

The water stayed about 72 al year round, a little higher in the summer.

Here in california, it's not unusual for the tanks to get down to
65 in the winter; nobody seems to mind. Indeed fish live longer
at lower temperatures.

--
                You've always been the caretaker here.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard