[alt.aquaria] warmness

In article <5690@spool.cs.wisc.edu> farrens@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Matthew Farrens) writes:
>In article <3787@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>
>>If you ever hear of this happening, let me know. I've never heard of it.
>
>OK, listen up.:-) It happened to us, only not at 2am.  (Actually, I think it did

Ok, so it happened once :-)

>>I've never found a fish that couldnt hack 60 - 90 degree water.
>>Can the heater. Just stow it and see what happens.
>>
>OK, I happen to know of several, because I bought a 2.5 gallon hex-like tank
>for my office and put some hatchets, gouramies, and a cat in it (the furless
>kind.)  However, my office is in a new building and they lower the heat to
>about 65 at night, so my poor fish were cycling between mid-70's during the
>day and mid 60's at night.  After a couple of them expressed their displeasure
>by ceasing to breath, I put a heater in and had no more trouble.  (Except for
>the hatchets, who *insisted* on jumping out of my covered tank regularly.  You
>would think they would learn after landing on the floor about the third time!)

Well, you would drag up the worst case wouldnt you ? :-)

a 2 gal tank is very small, and changes temperature real quick
combine this with an artificially cooled building and you have
a good reason to get a heater.

In our place here though, we dont use heat or A/C, and the ambient
temprature is just fine.

--
                You've always been the caretaker here.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

oleg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (05/05/88)

I have been waiting for someone to mention it, but I guess the pros assume
that "everyone knows this".  Water has a much higher calorcic capacity than
air and the convection heat exchange through the glass of the aquarium is
a rather inefficient means of cooling (or heating, for that matter).
Therefore, aquarium water will tend to fluctuate in temperature, but with a
much smaller gradient than the air temperature, with the same average temp.
The bigger the tank -- the more stable the water temperature.
--

Oleg Kiselev	{frodo|bilbo|lcc}.oleg@seas.ucla.edu	...!ihnp4!lcc!oleg
		oleg@quad1.quad.com (forward)

DISCLAIMER:  I speak for myself only.