[alt.aquaria] Algae

tom@pur-ee.UUCP (Tom McCain) (01/22/88)

So I`am wondering, is green algae common in salt tanks???  The reason
I`am wondering is that I had this growth of brown algae,and one day
it was gone...  Great, so about a week later I get this green algae
(bright green) at least this doesn`t look as bad.  Is this normal??

---

Tom McCain

stan@shell.com (Stan Hanks) (05/04/88)

I find that my pleco's tend to help out with the occasional overzealous
shake of the flake food can. And if you feed them pelletized food
like Tetra TabiMin from time to time, you can keep them around and
hungry enough to keep the tank clean.

And remember, the size of most such fish is limited by the
combination of the size of the tank they are kept in, plus
the availability of food. Keep them hungry, and they stay
a manageable size. I have one that has been around almost
a year, and is only about an inch longer than he was when
I got him (about 6"), contrasted with a clown pleco I have
been force-feeding (well, close anyway) which has almost doubled
in size in the last 5 month, bringing him up to about 5".

Maybe you really *are* what you eat......

Stan Hanks
Research Computer Scientist,                              (and Postmaster!)
Shell Development Company, Bellaire Research Center         (713) 663-2385
..!{sun,psuvax,soma,rice,decwrl,ut-sally,ihnp4}!shell!stan  stan@rice.edu

nor1675@dsacg1.UUCP (Michael Figg) (05/06/88)

In article <307@shell.shell.com>, stan@shell.com (Stan Hanks) writes:
>     .
>     .
> a manageable size. I have one that has been around almost
> a year, and is only about an inch longer than he was when
> I got him (about 6"), contrasted with a clown pleco I have
> been force-feeding (well, close anyway) which has almost doubled
> in size in the last 5 month, bringing him up to about 5".
>
> Maybe you really *are* what you eat......
>
> Stan Hanks
> Research Computer Scientist,                              (and Postmaster!)
> Shell Development Company, Bellaire Research Center         (713) 663-2385
> ..!{sun,psuvax,soma,rice,decwrl,ut-sally,ihnp4}!shell!stan  stan@rice.edu

 I thought someday just said something here about clown plecos
 just eating algae and never getting big like other plecos. I've
 had two generic (?) plecos for about 3 months and they've been eating
 everything they can find. And I'm fairly generous with the flakes and
 tablets (Hey, I'm a nice guy). They have grown from about 1.5" to maybe
 2.5-3"and I hope they keep growing. I just got two clown plecos (right
 after starting to put real plants in my tank) and am hoping they will
 control algae and not get too big. they are ugly enough when they are
 small. The clowns haven't hardly moved since i got them a week ago and
 don't look like they are eating much either. They ignore the flakes and
 tablets and what little algae there is so far. Are they going to get much
 bigger. All four plecos are in a 29 gallon tank.

--
"Don't quote me on this!"                      Michael Figg
					       DLA Systems Automation Center